82% Jamaicans support boycott of T&T products

SKBai1991

As much as I get bored with Jamaican defensiveness, I confess the Yardies have a point about Trini products. They tend frankly to be substandard. A few years ago one of our grocery chains, City Markets, was bought by Neal and Massy, a Trinidadian company. Suddenly the shelves were full of cheap new brands that nobody heard of but were NOT up to standard. Seemingly all produced in Trinidad. The company promptly went bust.

When will we inhabitants of little islands with high costs and tiny populations figure out that there is NO FUTURE IN MANUFACTURING OR AGRICULTURE for us????????
Hence why the development of a common market large enough to make manufacture and agriculture feasible and sustainable is necessary. Yes the costs are high, but the costs of not being able to secure your own food supply are even higher, and living in a middle income country where commodities are more expensive than in NYC or Toronto is not sustainable long term.

I can't agree with Roblatten most of the Trinidad manufactured goods are on standard with most things coming out of the Us or anywhere else. Of course snack foods is not healthy but the standard is pretty good and not different from anything from Jamaica, Barbados or Latin America. Even the trini stuff sometimes tastes better than American things.

robblaten

Hence why the development of a common market large enough to make manufacture and agriculture feasible and sustainable is necessary. Yes the costs are high, but the costs of not being able to secure your own food supply are even higher, and living in a middle income country where commodities are more expensive than in NYC or Toronto is not sustainable long term.
Can you name a country 'capable of securing its own food supply'? Only the most backward, subsistence level countries produce the overwhelming majority of their own foodstuffs. The rest is the result of world trade.

The notion of 'food security' is nonsense, a canard invented by politicians (not economists) to feed to gullible populations who do not understand how the world works. If the world trading system died, so would the economies and, ultimately, the population of countries large and small. No modern state has 'food security'.

How are Jamaicans or Bahamians any better off buying foods from within a tiny trading block the size of Uruguay than from the markets of an ever-globalizing world? My grits and conch are homegrown (and 'home' does NOT include Trinidad), but I will take my canned fish from Canada, my rice from China and my beef from Argentina, thank you very much.

robblaten

I can't agree with Roblatten most of the Trinidad manufactured goods are on standard with most things coming out of the Us or anywhere else. Of course snack foods is not healthy but the standard is pretty good and not different from anything from Jamaica, Barbados or Latin America. Even the trini stuff sometimes tastes better than American things.
Well I can only tell you what I witnessed with my own eyes. The once-thriving City Markets lost its entire customer base to its rivals within a year of Neal and Massy taking over and flooding its shelves with brands saying "made in Trinidad". There was near-unanimity about the fact that the products were inferior (and yes, cheaper) to what the Bahamian consumer was accustomed to.

Well I can only tell you what I witnessed with my own eyes. The once-thriving City Markets lost its entire customer base to its rivals within a year of Neal and Massy taking over and flooding its shelves with brands saying "made in Trinidad". There was near-unanimity about the fact that the products were inferior (and yes, cheaper) to what the Bahamian consumer was accustomed to.
What the hell an uncultured place like Bahamas is use to? Aspartame or high fructose laden products from America?

robblaten

What the hell an uncultured place like Bahamas is use to? Aspartame or high fructose laden products from America?
I totally agree with you there. The importation of the low grade, mass produced model in foods from the USA is deplorable. A larger portion of ALL of our foods should be local (eat more fish, eat more garden vegetables etc.)

I am talking about MANUFACTURED foods (which I generally deplore) like canned stuff. The Trini varieties were even lower grade than the regular American brands in that category is what I am saying.

You will have no argument from me on the ill effects of nasty American mass produced culinary culture and yes, you are right that, as the closes island neighbours, the Bahamas probably has it worst of all.

But please understand what I am saying and am NOT saying.

Just give me an example of how the trini products were or is sub standard as compared o what you believe as high quality?

If you wanna aim, aim right I am open to hear it unless trini products deteriorated in the past decade but when I lived there the products was just as good or better than anything from other Caribbean islands or America.

robblaten

Just give me an example of how the trini products were or is sub standard as compared o what you believe as high quality?

If you wanna aim, aim right I am open to hear it unless trini products deteriorated in the past decade but when I lived there the products was just as good or better than anything from other Caribbean islands or America.
Maybe it is because they used the cheapest varieties found in the Trinidadian market. But everything to cleaning products that did not work to tasteless canned fish were the complaints.

My point is that a small, expensive place like Trini will NEVER be able to compete in manufacturing. Attempts to do so all come down to subsidisation by the successful petroleum and other extractive industries.

I wish we all ate a higher percentage of fresh and local foods and less manufactured, processed products of any origin!

Maybe it is because they used the cheapest varieties found in the Trinidadian market. But everything to cleaning products that did not work to tasteless canned fish were the complaints.

My point is that a small, expensive place like Trini will NEVER be able to compete in manufacturing. Attempts to do so all come down to subsidisation by the successful petroleum and other extractive industries.

I wish we all ate a higher percentage of fresh and local foods and less manufactured, processed products of any origin!
yeah it sounds like they imported the cheapest brands but then it could be just your bahamian haterism coming in cuz yall dont produce nothing

robblaten

yeah it sounds like they imported the cheapest brands but then it could be just your bahamian haterism coming in cuz yall dont produce nothing
I think they simply misread the market and sent cheap brands, not realizing that local consumers are not accustomed to them. It could just have been faulty market research by Neal and Massey, who also managed to f%&k up acquisitions in Barbados and other countries.

But if you do not believe me, ask ANYONE here what happened to City Markets once it was bought by these dudes. I think it is one more example of business magnates in one regional country TOTALLY misunderstanding the markets, tastes, and level of consumer development in another. Similarly sad stories resulted from BWIA's takeover of Air Jamaica and Neal and Massey's foray into Bajan retailing and hospitality.

It underlines how different we all are and how foolhardy a project is the common market.

Jamaicans have a legitimate gripe with what 'regional integration' has delivered them. Unfortunately, they too often confuse it with petty nationalism and insulting defensiveness toward 'little islands'.

I think they simply misread the market and sent cheap brands, not realizing that local consumers are not accustomed to them. It could just have been faulty market research by Neal and Massey, who also managed to f%&k up acquisitions in Barbados and other countries.

But if you do not believe me, ask ANYONE here what happened to City Markets once it was bought by these dudes. I think it is one more example of business magnates in one regional country TOTALLY misunderstanding the markets, tastes, and level of consumer development in another. Similarly sad stories resulted from BWIA's takeover of Air Jamaica and Neal and Massey's foray into Bajan retailing and hospitality.

It underlines how different we all are and how foolhardy a project is the common market.

Jamaicans have a legitimate gripe with what 'regional integration' has delivered them. Unfortunately, they too often confuse it with petty nationalism and insulting defensiveness toward 'little islands'.
Rob, i have maintained that the anti TNT sentiment in Jamaica is mainly manufactured by the media post the Air Jamaica takeover. Its like a calculated attempt to create hysteria.

robblaten

Rob, i have maintained that the anti TNT sentiment in Jamaica is mainly manufactured by the media post the Air Jamaica takeover. Its like a calculated attempt to create hysteria.
I suspect you are right. For some reason, many Jamaicans are very sensitive to their perceived status within the Caribbean region. While the country has probably been the least successful in the region (with the exception of Guyana) since independence, there is a countervailing national myth that others are somehow jealous (which is a truly laughable notion). Politicians undoubtedly stoke this, especially the JLP politicians. Read the observer and you will see endless appeals to this sentiment from politicians and now even business magnates trying to get in on the action.

I suspect you are right. For some reason, many Jamaicans are very sensitive to their perceived status within the Caribbean region. While the country has probably been the least successful in the region (with the exception of Guyana) since independence, there is a countervailing national myth that others are somehow jealous (which is a truly laughable notion). Politicians undoubtedly stoke this, especially the JLP politicians. Read the observer and you will see endless appeals to this sentiment from politicians and now even business magnates trying to get in on the action.
Yes they are sensitive mainly because they believe they have the divine right to be number one in all things, it hurts immensely to know that other smaller islands has a better standard of living or economy than them. Because they are the beloved so call gem of the West Indies. What I don't understand is that if there is an issue with TNT they are saying let's leave CARICOM while neglecting the fact that there are at least twelve to thirteen other countries in CARICOM that has no tangible beef with Jamaica. At the end of the day if a tragedy strikes who gonna be the first people to help JA will be the Caribbean neighbors so why harbor all this anger and animosity to our brothers and sisters?

Hopefully this Holness-Rowley meeting will improve relations but I won't hold my breath because as long as someone is deported from Piarco they are gonna make a stink and the Observer and the news outlets will run with it.