20,000 Jamaicans residing illegally in Trinidad.

TriniReporter

Griffith, in a statement, claims that more than 20,000 Jamaicans were residing here illegally and have become a burden on the state.
Former minister blames CSME for Jamaica-T&T migration problems

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – Former national security minister Gary Griffith is urging the Trinidad and Tobago Government not to be intimidated by calls out of Jamaica for that Caribbean Community (Caricom) country to seek legal action regarding the deportation of Jamaican nationals.

Griffith, in a statement, claims that more than 20,000 Jamaicans were residing here illegally and have become a burden on the state.

Earlier this week, Caricom Deputy Secretary-General Ambassador Dr Manorma Soeknandan said there is need for more sensitisation among regional border officials regarding the rules and procedures governing free travel within the 15-member grouping.

Soeknandan said that the way Caricom nationals were treated as they travelled regionally continued to generate discussion.

Jamaica has in the past few weeks been critical of the decision of immigration officials in Trinidad and Tobago to send back some of their nationals claiming that they were being deported because they would be a drain on the local economy.
Jamaicans have called for a boycott of goods from Port of Spain and earlier this week Opposition legislator called on the new Andrew Holness-led Government to take the matter before the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ).

But Griffith, who served as national security minister in the former government, said: “It is indeed alarming, that the Jamaican Opposition would question the legitimate actions by our immigration officers, as they attempt daily to do their jobs, after being abused constantly by a few Jamaican nationals who attempt to enter our country without the appropriate requirements, and documentation.

“It is because of this, that there are over 20,000 Jamaican nationals who have done just that, by using the CSME (Caricom Single Market and Economy) angle to enter for six months, but then refuse to leave after that six-month period.

“They remain unemployed and become a burden to the State; if unemployed, at times some turn to a life of crime, inclusive of gang activity; If they do work, many are abused by their employers because they are here illegally and paid below the minimum wage; be employed illegally, and hence taking a job away from a bona fide TT citizen who is unemployed," Griffith said.

He said despite their illegal status, the Jamaicans still have full access to State resources such as education, medical care and other social services, and this is costing the State over TT$500 million (One TT dollar=US$0.16 cents) annually.

Griffith said that while the oil-rich twin island republic always had a policy of welcoming non-nationals, it disallows them solely on the grounds of them being a national security threat or burden to the State purse.

He said that the situation would not have reached to this extreme had Trinidad and Tobago been stringent with its laws.

He said it was this relaxed attitude which resulted in “certain Caricom nationals” abusing the CSME programme.

“To the Jamaican Opposition, if they are not aware, several Jamaican nationals verbally abuse our immigration officers on entry, and below are just a few examples that would confirm that such individuals should definitely be debarred entry if they attempt to enter our country, and no CSME clause can override this,” Griffith added.

The CSME allows for the free movement of goods, skills, labour and services across the region.
Read More:Former minister blames CSME for Jamaica-T&T migration problems - News - JamaicaObserver.com

trinifrombx

Wow, that is a lot, but we need Jamaica Govt to stimulate their economy so that we don't have all these freeloaders coming over for a free meal. What we should do is that if you can't prove you were born in T&T then you shouldn't qualified for these benefits, once Jamaicans and the rest of freeloading islands know we are generous , they coming, so we need to implement these laws to end them from coming !

No wonder the spike in crime, i am sure this is contributing to the lawlessness going on there now !

Trini Juan

par wid devil n lock hell
I agree bar them all
Do the same on himix

That's why when these retards talk shit bout trump or nationalist
I laugh

In any case yes
It's quite obvious trinis n jahmaykins have too vast differences n should stay the fuk from each other

Big up all the nice n decent
Trinis

Yeah segregation

People should really not have much to do with each other in these cases

Big up all poor people n all others who civilized

Carib2

I agree bar them all
Do the same on himix

That's why when these retards talk shit bout trump or nationalist
I laugh

In any case yes
It's quite obvious trinis n jahmaykins have too vast differences n should stay the fuk from each other

Big up all the nice n decent
Trinis

Yeah segregation

People should really not have much to do with each other in these cases

Big up all poor people n all others who civilized
''Bar them all''

What are Jamaicans animals? Are all criminals?

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Wow, that is a lot, but we need Jamaica Govt to stimulate their economy so that we don't have all these freeloaders coming over for a free meal. What we should do is that if you can't prove you were born in T&T then you shouldn't qualified for these benefits, once Jamaicans and the rest of freeloading islands know we are generous , they coming, so we need to implement these laws to end them from coming !

No wonder the spike in crime, i am sure this is contributing to the lawlessness going on there now !

I concur 100% with everything you stated.

For a quick second I was coming in here to blast you, then I realize that you somewhat supporting Trump #MakeAmericaGreatAgain , so I was coming to say how you want to send home Jamaicans, but have a problem when Trump and the Republicans say it…..but, your message and your take match !

Unlike like 90 of your Bias fellow countrymen, it is ok they Ban and disrespect other Blacks (Jamaicans, GT, etc…..)who seeking a better life in a perceived better economy, lifestyle, yet have a problem when Trump and the Republicans taking a radical stand to say…..the Mexicans, , undocumented ( Caribbean, Hispanics, etc ) are “ here illegally and have become a burden on the state.”

So I find it hypocritical that they agree with T&T Govt, but have a problem when Trump and the Republicans say the same thing! ….but yeah, I understand….trust me on that !

My take on this…If I can borrow your term, they need to send home all the “ lowlives “ Jamaicans in Trinidad that are now taking part in “ Freeness “ and escalating the violence in Trinidad….I mean, let’s face it…T&T never had a crime issue until the Illegal Jamaicans started coming for “ freeness”......

..you know everywhere the Jamaicans go, UK, Bahamas, Barbados, etc….they are not wanted in the ppl them country due to the tendency of violence, drug trade, gun runners, Daggerin, Slack Dancehall lyrics, bleaching, Rasta, Ganga smokers, etc…..So yes, I concur 100 with the Gov’t of Trinidad…..Fcuk Caricom Laws…If you coming into my country and all of a sudden we in a recession, crime spiking….I too as the PM would Ban them and feel no way about…….

So we in agreement here, Ban the “ Lowlives “ let the Jamaican Gov’t put things in place such as create an economy where you don’t have citizens running from their Homeland to give another country/Island problems, Trinidad’s point :" and have become a burden on the state."

Send Them Home!

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
Migration Between the former british colonies should not be restricted yall need to shut the fuk up...

and you can't compare American politics with WI politics so yall need to get off that boat... what the fuk does Trump rhetoric got to do with illegal Jamaicans in T&T

notorious saga

Sagattarius
I say legalize those Jamaicans ASAP that way we keep PNM in power. after we legalize the Jamaicans the next move is to legalize marijuana. The oil price is in shambles, gotta move on to cultivation. Marijuana = the healing of the nation and the economy.

trinifrombx

Migration Between the former british colonies should not be restricted yall need to shut the fuk up...

and you can't compare American politics with WI politics so yall need to get off that boat... what the fuk does Trump rhetoric got to do with illegal Jamaicans in T&T
You making no sense, and to top it off, you Is a dumb ass, freeloaders looking to freeload in Trinidad is no different than the freeloaders coming to America to freeload off the system, coming pregnant and my taxes have to pay for it !

You damn fool !

trinifrombx

I concur 100% with everything you stated.

For a quick second I was coming in here to blast you, then I realize that you somewhat supporting Trump #MakeAmericaGreatAgain , so I was coming to say how you want to send home Jamaicans, but have a problem when Trump and the Republicans say it…..but, your message and your take match !

Unlike like 90 of your Bias fellow countrymen, it is ok they Ban and disrespect other Blacks (Jamaicans, GT, etc…..)who seeking a better life in a perceived better economy, lifestyle, yet have a problem when Trump and the Republicans taking a radical stand to say…..the Mexicans, , undocumented ( Caribbean, Hispanics, etc ) are “ here illegally and have become a burden on the state.”

So I find it hypocritical that they agree with T&T Govt, but have a problem when Trump and the Republicans say the same thing! ….but yeah, I understand….trust me on that !

My take on this…If I can borrow your term, they need to send home all the “ lowlives “ Jamaicans in Trinidad that are now taking part in “ Freeness “ and escalating the violence in Trinidad….I mean, let’s face it…T&T never had a crime issue until the Illegal Jamaicans started coming for “ freeness”......

..you know everywhere the Jamaicans go, UK, Bahamas, Barbados, etc….they are not wanted in the ppl them country due to the tendency of violence, drug trade, gun runners, Daggerin, Slack Dancehall lyrics, bleaching, Rasta, Ganga smokers, etc…..So yes, I concur 100 with the Gov’t of Trinidad…..Fcuk Caricom Laws…If you coming into my country and all of a sudden we in a recession, crime spiking….I too as the PM would Ban them and feel no way about…….

So we in agreement here, Ban the “ Lowlives “ let the Jamaican Gov’t put things in place such as create an economy where you don’t have citizens running from their Homeland to give another country/Island problems, Trinidad’s point :" and have become a burden on the state."

Send Them Home!

I sense a little sarcasm !

But, yeah, the Government in Jamaica need to make away for their folks and stop allowing these parasites to destroy we ting !

I sense a little sarcasm !

But, yeah, the Government in Jamaica need to make away for their folks and stop allowing these parasites to destroy we ting !
what i dont understand is socapineman's insistence on somehow turning every issue dealing with trinidad into some black hate thing. He will not respond to my posts but so what!

trinifrombx

what i dont understand is socapineman's insistence on somehow turning every issue dealing with trinidad into some black hate thing. He will not respond to my posts but so what!
That is allyuh business, maybe be is one of them Yardies that don't like chi chi man !

So, outside of the fact that you confirm to us that the like the Swag talk them jamaicans does tell you when they bullin you hard in your Bamsey, what we should do with them freeloading in Trinidad ?

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
Very disingenuous to single out Jamaicans where this issue is concerned. Fact of the matter is people from all over the WI does travel to and end up staying in Trinidad & Tobago in search of a better opportunity. The immigration system needs to do better at keeping track of the people who enter our borders. It should be made a criminal act for anyone to give false information as to the whereabouts of any such individuals. So if for example they claim to be staying at a particular address and give a number, anyone answering that number who claims to know the whereabouts of the individual but then it turns out it was simply cover should be jailed. Of course that is only one method used but they need ideas to manage the situation better. If someone is there to work, there should be a system in place that keeps tabs on the employer and communicates with them to constantly reaffirm that the individual(s) is still employed there. All this reactive send back talk is useless because without a system to initially track people, finding them to send back is a mostly fruitless endeavor that will further tax state resources as you now add more lazy jackasses to the workforce that will either half way do their job or end up taking bribes as everyone always trying to eat ah food.

TriniReporter

\
“It is because of this, that there are over 20,000 Jamaican nationals who have done just that, by using the CSME (Caricom Single Market and Economy) angle to enter for six months, but then refuse to leave after that six-month period.

“They remain unemployed and become a burden to the State; if unemployed, at times some turn to a life of crime, inclusive of gang activity; If they do work, many are abused by their employers because they are here illegally and paid below the minimum wage; be employed illegally, and hence taking a job away from a bona fide TT citizen who is unemployed," Griffith said.

He said despite their illegal status, the Jamaicans still have full access to State resources such as education, medical care and other social services, and this is costing the State over TT$500 million (One TT dollar=US$0.16 cents) annually.

[/url]
.. very interesting

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Very disingenuous to single out Jamaicans where this issue is concerned. Fact of the matter is people from all over the WI does travel to and end up staying in Trinidad & Tobago in search of a better opportunity. The immigration system needs to do better at keeping track of the people who enter our borders. It should be made a criminal act for anyone to give false information as to the whereabouts of any such individuals. So if for example they claim to be staying at a particular address and give a number, anyone answering that number who claims to know the whereabouts of the individual but then it turns out it was simply cover should be jailed. Of course that is only one method used but they need ideas to manage the situation better. If someone is there to work, there should be a system in place that keeps tabs on the employer and communicates with them to constantly reaffirm that the individual(s) is still employed there. All this reactive send back talk is useless because without a system to initially track people, finding them to send back is a mostly fruitless endeavor that will further tax state resources as you now add more lazy jackasses to the workforce that will either half way do their job or end up taking bribes as everyone always trying to eat ah food.

Very thoughtful and mature response!

But, I disagree with you on the " send back part".........

I didn't see you in the other thread arguing for or against USA sending home ppl who are in violation of their immigration laws.......but this is no different.

Meaning whether Trinidad or USA....etc......each country should have all legal rights to enforce their immigration laws.

Not you....but a lot of hypocrites in the other thread have a problem with Republicans saying they the USA should enforce the law of the land......yet these same hypocrites feel....oh...Trinidad is different, send them home.....it is okay for them coming to America to seek a better life......legal or illegal, but just not in Sweet T&T.

It is okay to milk and nickel and dime the USA budget.with illegals....but just not in Trinidad!

At best laughable and show the double standard and the hypocrisy !

biggadon

So from what I read, if am correct that piece is basically saying that Illegals in TnT have access to all social services WOW.... Trinidad must be the land of milk and honey .... I dont mind education for minors and health care for Illegals also but at some point the line has to be drawn.