Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Dougla"..?

Credits
    Plenty people are just very mixed these days. How many African/black people are "pure"? How many Indian? I have been called dougla growing up all my life, when both sides have mixture. One side is just predominantly African and the other is predominantly Indian.

I know people who are considered dougla and at least "pure" on the Indian side and appear not/less dougla than me to other people. So I agree that often times its appearance or whether people know your family...

SanFernando - dougla is said to be an alternate spelling of dogala which first means a person of intervarna/intercaste marriage and secondly means bastard, etc. There are alternate ideas that it came from French Creole terminology but that is much less likely. In Trinidad & also Guyana, the term has come to mean a mixed Indian/African individual. Basically, the term could be descriptively or negatively.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by San fernando View Post
    Yes!..The name/term/slang..called "dougla" originated from sweet TnT..if you can post evidence that proves me wrong then I stand corrected
    I don't know for sure dat is why I asked you if yuh know what yuh talking about cuz I know ppl just like to claim ting not knowing the real roots of the spoken.

If I could of prove you wrong I would a dun shut yuh down already, when you made your statement but, I asked you about it instead. I expected you to come with proof or more of an explanation.

And gosh yuh mek it seem as if creating a name as such is some great accomplishment for sweet TnT.

PTM
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo View Post
    Dougla did not originate in Trinidad. And it doesn't just mean a mix of African and Indian ancestry. That is just the popular usage right now.

Dougla as it has been traditionally used in the West Indies refers to a person of mixed African and Indian ancestry. The popular usage right now, is a person mixed with some Indian, some African and anything in between. For instance in St. Vincent, a person with loosely curled hair (not straight or as kinky as that of Africans) will be referred to as having Dougla hair.

Credits

Wink Dougla...?

The original definition of a dougla is a person who is, in any ratio, both of african and indian descent. The mix cud be 2% african and 98% Indian and the person will be still considered a dougla. And vice versa. Lately the meaning of dougla had evovled and now includes any one that is mixed with anything whether it be chinese, syrian etc. And I know you understand what I say, that now a dougla can be considered any person with a little nice or soft hair.... often referred to as "good" hair. I disagree with this awful use of good because there is no such thing as "bad" hair as far as I'm concerned!

Credits

Question ########################

Just a little off topic,

Can I get and answer as to whether the term "########################" Is derogatory?
    I've always known it to mean Indian Trinidadian. Alternatively, what do you call a Black Trinidadian?

Inquiring Minds

Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn-in-fl View Post
    Just a little off topic,

Can I get and answer as to whether the term "########################" Is derogatory?
    I've always known it to mean Indian Trinidadian. Alternatively, what do you call a Black Trinidadian?

Inquiring Minds
    Most Indo Trinbagonians will accept the term "########################" the same way most black Trinbagonians will accept the term "########################"....Its not common for anyone in T&T to walk around sayin "Aye ######################## give me this" or "Aye ######################## stop watching me"...its not common speech (and those are just two examples)
    Last edited by Gladiator; 02-06-2009 at 04:21 AM.

Credits
    w ehave had extensive discussions on this topic before

Credits
    i noe ######################## ppl tho, and dey use dat wurd very loosly, dey take no offence if i or otehr black ppl use de word. although , i doh live in trinidad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12