Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Dougla"..?

Credits

"Dougla"..?

The name "dougla" that originated from Trinidad and Tobago is used to define someone who is mixed with indian and black descent..so in your opinion what is the right amount of mixture of these two races that will definie someone who is dougla?... If someone is 10% indian and 90% black is he/she considered dougla?..or does the races have to be more evenly match?..

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by San fernando View Post
    The name "dougla" that originated from Trinidad and Tobago is used to define someone who is mixed with indian and black descent..so in your opinion what is the right amount of mixture of these two races that will definie someone who is dougla?... If someone is 10% indian and 90% black is he/she considered dougla?..or does the races have to be more evenly match?..
    Was the word "dougla: really originated in TnT? Do you know what you talking about? And yuh might get a better response if yuh put dis in backchat.

Credits
    u need 20%black 40% indian 20%syrian and 20%chinese to make the perfect dougla

Pebbles362436
    Quote Originally Posted by fntsy19 View Post
    That's more like a callaloo.lol

San Fernando how are you able to define and come up with the fact that a person is 10% Indian? Is it like a great, great grand parent or something that's Indian

I always thought a dougla was just a Trini that's 50% Black and 50% Indian. One parent is Indian and the other parent is Black.

But I guess when you start asking what their grandparents background/race. Then that's how you can sometimes get 25% Syrian and 25% Hispanic 25% Black and 25% Chinese etc.
    Last edited by Pebbles362436; 05-12-2007 at 08:17 PM.

ank
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by fntsy19 View Post

I'm not sure about what this thread, Dougla ...

what is it like ..needs a chinese ?

Registered User blackamericanprincss's Avatar blackamericanprincss is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chie View Post

Dougla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dougla = Indian + black person

It comes from dogala, which refers to the intervarnic progeny of marriage. Some of the connotations of the word such as bastard, illegitimate and son of a whore are secondary and limited to sections of North India where the term may have originated.

Pebbles362436
    Quote Originally Posted by chie View Post

Dougla is a Trini slang for person who is bi-racial/mixed heritage. Normally they are half Indian and Black.

ank
    Credits
    Thanks blackamericanprincss.

well... Indian is caribbean people isn't it..

and they, Dougla are Indian + black person ?

and why is it that you use the word "chinese" ??

Credits
    I always considered it 50 50
    if not i wouldnt consider the person dougla

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by G.T.socalova View Post
    Was the word "dougla: really originated in TnT? Do you know what you talking about? And yuh might get a better response if yuh put dis in backchat.
    Yes!..The name/term/slang..called "dougla" originated from sweet TnT..if you can post evidence that proves me wrong then I stand corrected

Credits
    Sometimes you see a black person with a few indian features (because maybe just one of their garandparents are indian) and they call themself a dougla...or you may see an indian person with a few black features (because maybe just one of their grandparents are black) and they call themself call a dougla

Credits
    Dougla did not originate in Trinidad. And it doesn't just mean a mix of African and Indian ancestry. That is just the popular usage right now.

Credits
    Sometimes you see a black person with a few indian features (because maybe just one of their garandparents are indian) and they call themself a dougla...or you may see an indian person with a few black features (because maybe just one of their grandparents are black) and they call themself call a dougla
    I think that's whats key -the way the person looks, at least the way term is used in Trini. One of my cousins who actually is half and half does not look like she has a drop of indian in her, hence, she doesn't go around calling herself a dougla. I have another cousin who has one grandparent who is 1/2 indian (whats that 1/3?) but the chick could pass for 100% indian and ppl always call her dougla. I think her look probably comes more from the lil strains of portugese and spanish but whatever, when ppl look at you, they not seeing whats in your blood, you are whatever you look like to ppl.

ank
    Credits

ok, so they are kind of the same.

so can you see the difference between them when you meet them..?

Credits

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    I think that's whats key -the way the person looks, at least the way term is used in Trini. One of my cousins who actually is half and half does not look like she has a drop of indian in her, hence, she doesn't go around calling herself a dougla. I have another cousin who has one grandparent who is 1/2 indian (whats that 1/3?) but the chick could pass for 100% indian and ppl always call her dougla. I think her look probably comes more from the lil strains of portugese and spanish but whatever, when ppl look at you, they not seeing whats in your blood, you are whatever you look like to ppl.
    True i'm a 1/2 and 1/2 myself but i does pass for ah indian when i get ah wash & set, but when it curley u know for sure i am a Dougla My mommy tells me i more on d indian side though i dunno na I look like meh self

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast