Thread: American influence on Caribbean pop culture

engineroom

American influence on Caribbean pop culture

what y'all think about this?

i am referring to the infuence of american music, fashion, speech, sports, etc. on Caribbean cultures- in particular the African-American influence.

We all hear it in the music and see it in how people dress, etc.

Is it good/bad/both?

Personally I think this influence (some might call it cultural imperialism) is greater than it has been in the past as a result of television, the internet, and greater movements of people back and forth.

I worry about the dominating effect it may have on such smaller societies who don't always receive it in context since they don't live in the US.

Also, what is a good in one place doesn't necessarily translate elsewhere. Take basketball for example- it has been a sport that has really been beneficial to the African-American community in many ways, and has showcased them as well. In the context of the Caribbean I wonder though... I could buy any NBA jersey in Kingston or Port Of Spain, but no Windies or local football jerseys in most places, a lot of very poor people spend a lot of money on this gear as well (this happens in the US too but I think the difference is even more accute in the Caribbean). Plus local sports more grounded in local cultures suffer, e.g. cricket, football, netball, etc., suffer in the face of the mass media machine that basketball and other American sports have at their disposal. I see people seeing the bling-bling aspect of basketball (and other things too) without recognising the struggle behind them.

anyway, just some ramblings, whatcha thing?

Credits
    I have not been home in awhile, but the last time I was there, I was disappointed by the influence that American Culture had.

I remember one time I was heading to TNT when cat suits and boots was in style..I left my cats suit and boots in NYC thinking it is too hot for TNT..Why did I go down there and saw people whering these things in the hot a$$ weather.

The kids are stealing and robbing just to keep up with the latest sneakers and clothes they see in videos. It's a sad state of affairs.

Solidarity

Angry it's really an old story isn't it?

So i say to myself, "...self think outside the box (not easy for a "narrow-minded" fella like me) for a second. Afterall, u don't have a ready alternative, do you? Plus, what if this is just an unavoidable part of the story of human progress and what if the benefits actually outweigh the costs, what then?"
    Self says, "...well, if the long (relatively-short) history of global Euro-American hegemony was written in less blood and didn't seem destined to end in utter fool-fool self-destruction, then it wouldn't be so hard to take and the "benefits" might actually help us move forward in a positive manner."
    "Fi real!" i say to self.
    We look at each other with mutual understanding. Wordlessly, we agree to continue finding & encouraging others who are committed to doing their part in the arduous work of stemming the tide and laying the foundation for brighter tomorrows...
    :)

Originally posted by engineroom
    what y'all think about this?

i am referring to the infuence of american music, fashion, speech, sports, etc. on Caribbean cultures- in particular the African-American influence.

We all hear it in the music and see it in how people dress, etc.

Is it good/bad/both?

Personally I think this influence (some might call it cultural imperialism) is greater than it has been in the past as a result of television, the internet, and greater movements of people back and forth...