Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Are you preparing......

Credits

Are you preparing......

to ever retire from working? Is it a sound plan that will allow for more than simple day to day (hand to mouth) living. There ate people in my building way past retirement age that say "they gon have to carry me out" and it makes me wonder, are they the type that just don't want to ever stop working or are they forced to just keep going. I envision a day when all this 9-5 stuff is in the rear view mirror and I can do things with the misses that time abd responsibilities just don't allow enough of.
    Space available for RENT

Taj
    Credits
    are those ppl single or still married?

I find many continue working not for the paycheck but b/c they don't know what to do with themselves. Unless they cultivated other interests or skillsets they're just kinda lost and feel they will degenerate doing nothing. The couples I find that are happy spend time with each other travel together whether for leisure or visiting kids and grandkids.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Are these people u referring to are black or Hispanic, cuz notice whites tend to work past retirement age to stay active or because they single and lonely.

Blacks & Hispanics, out of need of income...unless they are City/State workers, or Union workers.
    Girly boy why do you get such a kick out of dissing women? - Namey Namey

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

Everyone knows MÉCHANT LOUP is a jackass, but a pedophile? - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP a battyman. - Namey Namey

Credits
    Various ethnicities. I don't know their relationship status so can't say. I have friends whom I worry will be forced for financial reasons. I find that to be a scary prospect.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    I think that I will always be involved in some type of work. However, I hope that I will not HAVE to continuously work in old age ( if I ever get to reach there). I believe that it's quite feasible to live with less income and within our means once we understand that over-consumerism doesn't brings us anything but more stress in life. Don't get me wrong, it's good to have buying power, however buying just to display power is just oiling the marketing machine.
    Chen ki japé pa mòde!

Credits
    I am..

I did the math, it doesnt add up...

need to save up to nest egg of 1M
    2% of 1M (given todays interests rates) = 20K

that is not enough to have home health care.

Credits
    yes... even if "retiring" means "Retiring from the city/working for others"... however, the way things going, people like they retiring later and later..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    some have no choice but to work some just cant keep still... having something to do keeps them active... some live long after retirement, relaxing others die shortly after because that all they knew...
    Only shades of colour that are seen on IMIX, BLACK, WHITE & GREY. The beauty of all things are transform into those colours... Winter very LONG, spring, summer fall very SHORT.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Buhbayduss View Post
    some have no choice but to work some just cant keep still... having something to do keeps them active... some live long after retirement, relaxing others die shortly after because that all they knew...
    this here scares me cause I've seen it happen time and time again.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    you know now that i think of it.. i have that convo with my grandmother almost weekly. she's retired, to me YEARS now but yet every time i call, she's "working" in the food pantry, or at the church or in the nursing home or the hospital.. so i figure she does these things to retain a sense of purpose and activeness..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    you know now that i think of it.. i have that convo with my grandmother almost weekly. she's retired, to me YEARS now but yet every time i call, she's "working" in the food pantry, or at the church or in the nursing home or the hospital.. so i figure she does these things to retain a sense of purpose and activeness..

that's all it really boils down to and feel they can still contribute...
    Only shades of colour that are seen on IMIX, BLACK, WHITE & GREY. The beauty of all things are transform into those colours... Winter very LONG, spring, summer fall very SHORT.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    this here scares me cause I've seen it happen time and time again.
    seen this happen for some as a youngster... you heard so and so retired, next thing so and so, gone...

only understood as i got older...

LB
    Credits
    seen this happen for some as a youngster... you heard so and so retired, next thing so and so, gone...

only understood as i got older...
    yup. Two of my mum's former co-workers dropped dead this year a few months after retiring.

I have too many interests and hobbies to be bored after retiring but I'd like to be "young" enough to actually enjoy it. I have no interest in working beyond a certain age. Nuff other things to pursue in this world for that to happen. but sometimes finances are what they are too

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    yup. Two of my mum's former co-workers dropped dead this year a few months after retiring.

I have too many interests and hobbies to be bored after retiring but I'd like to be "young" enough to actually enjoy it. I have no interest in working beyond a certain age. Nuff other things to pursue in this world for that to happen. but sometimes finances are what they are too

well finance canbe achilles' heel... but shouldnt let that be a stopper... we have something here call Q in the the community, where the tv station goes all over the island at shops, there is karaoke and oldy goldies... this one old lady always there at 87 and full of live in the latest wear... as a boy i always remember she having this full of life spirit...

so it doesnt always takes lots of money to bring joy and excitement...

LB
    Credits
    well finance canbe achilles' heel... but shouldnt let that be a stopper... we have something here call Q in the the community, where the tv station goes all over the island at shops, there is karaoke and oldy goldies... this one old lady always there at 87 and full of live in the latest wear... as a boy i always remember she having this full of life spirit...

so it doesnt always takes lots of money to bring joy and excitement...
    No it doesnt take a lot and as you age you will scale back.

But basic necessities like paying off your mortgage, etc need to be in place because most likely anything you get from your pension wont cover your bills if they are still high. That is more what I was getting at.
    mz_JazE likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast