Thread: WOW this is real disrespectful

Credits

Angry WOW this is real disrespectful

4 years after 9/11 and now they've resorted to flushing down ppl holy texts.

KABUL, Afghanistan (May 13) - Angry protests raged across the Muslim world from Indonesia to Gaza on Friday over a report that U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had desecrated the Koran, with calls for retaliation and a rising death toll.

In Afghanistan, at least nine people were killed on Friday, in protests over the report bringing the country's death toll to 16 this week in its worst anti-American demonstrations since the fall of the Taliban.

Washington sought to stem Muslim anger as allies demanded investigations and thousands took to the streets in outrage over the Newsweek magazine report that interrogators at the U.S. military prison in Cuba had put the Muslim holy book on a toilet and at least once flushed it down.

The unrest spread to Pakistan, which called for a U.S. probe. Hundreds of people held a peaceful protest in Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation.

In Gaza, several thousand Palestinians marched through a refugee camp in a protest organized by the Islamic militant group Hamas. Several hundred Palestinians also marched in the West Bank city of Hebron.

"The Holy Koran was defiled by the dirtiest of hands, by American hands," a protester shouted at the Jabalya refugee camp in Gaza, where U.S. and Israeli flags were also burned.

The escalating violence prompted the Bush administration to express sympathy with the demonstrators and urge calm.

"We want Muslims around the world to know that we share and understand the concerns that they have. We are also saddened about the loss of life because of these demonstrations turning violent," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

The Department of Defense is investigating the allegation and "they take such allegations very seriously," he said, but did indicate when the investigation would be completed. "...We will not tolerate any disrespect for the holy Koran," he added.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had also urged Muslims on Thursday to resist calls for violence, saying U.S. military authorities were investigating the Koran allegations and calling disrespect to the holy book "abhorrent to us all."

Muslims consider the Koran the literal word of God, treating each book with deep reverence, and the episode has embarrassed the United States, which has sought closer ties with Muslim allies as it wages its war on terrorism.

In Afghanistan and Pakistan, desecration of the Koran is punishable by death.

DAMAGED REPUTATION

The United States' reputation had already been damaged by photographs released last year of physical and sexual abuse of Muslim prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

Washington's allies demanded action and an investigation. Indonesia said those responsible must receive a "deserved punishment" for their "immoral action." Pakistan also called for a U.S. probe, and Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam, said it was following the issue with "deep indignation."

Sentiments ran higher in the streets.

"Demonstrations serve no purpose, we should do something practical. I am ready to blow myself up for the sake of my religion to embrace martyrdom," said Mohammad Ghafoor, 18, a student protesting in Peshawar, Pakistan.

Newsweek, in its May 9 edition, quoted sources as saying that investigators probing abuses at the military prison had found that interrogators "had placed Korans on toilets, and in at least one case flushed a holy book down the toilet."

sharkie
    is a blasted shame.

Credits

Cool

I just read about it. Now this will result in probably more bloodshed. I wait to see what the US investigation turns up.

"Demonstrations serve no purpose, we should do something practical. I am ready to blow myself up for the sake of my religion to embrace martyrdom," said Mohammad Ghafoor, 18, a student protesting in Peshawar, Pakistan.
    Look at how devoted deez people are.

Credits
    I try to be a relgious as I can be, (keyword bein "try") and respectful and such, whether its to Christians, Muslims, Hindis or whoever.
    I think Americans have gone way over the line in this.

Toppa_Toppa
    I just read about it and was thinking bout making a post but I changed my mind. If the US thought the insurgency in Iraq was bad before...it go be thunder now!

Kiz
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa
    I just read about it and was thinking bout making a post but I changed my mind. If the US thought the insurgency in Iraq was bad before...it go be thunder now!

Mek yuh post cuz wrong is wrong.....and if that really happened that is wrong...

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinikiz
    Mek yuh post cuz wrong is wrong.....and if that really happened that is wrong...

Nah all ah was going n do was post the article for people to read...buh since Dutty do it I cool.

Credits
    Nice story...too bad it ent true.

elq
    Credits
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc...ran/index.html
    KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) -- A day after Newsweek magazine backed away from a story that U.S. interrogators had desecrated copies of the Quran, the U.S. military said it must reach out to angry Afghans to ease tensions.

At least 15 people were killed and dozens injured last week when thousands of demonstrators marched in Afghanistan and other parts of the Muslim world in reaction to Newsweek's May 9 issue, officials and eyewitnesses said.

"We want to redouble our efforts to communicate with the Afghan people," Col. Gary Cheek with the U.S. Army in Kabul said Monday. "We want to ensure there is trust and confidence in the U.S."

The Pentagon said last week it was unable to corroborate any case in which interrogators at the U.S. Naval Station in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, defiled the Muslim holy book, as Newsweek reported.

Newsweek on Sunday backed away from its story. (Full story)

"Top administration officials have promised to continue looking into the charges, and so will we," Newsweek Editor Mark Whitaker wrote in the magazine's May 23 issue, released on Sunday. "But we regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst."

Violent protests broke out in Afghanistan last week after the magazine cited sources saying investigators looking into abuses at the military prison found interrogators "had placed Qurans on toilets, and in at least one case flushed a holy book down the toilet."

"Desecrating the Quran is a death-penalty offense" in Afghanistan and neighboring Pakistan, said Peter Bergen, a CNN terrorism analyst.

"There is clearly a lot of anti-American sentiment in Pakistan, less so in Afghanistan, but I think that this will feed into it," Bergen said.

Pentagon spokesman Larry DiRita blamed Newsweek's report for the protests -- which occurred in Jalalabad, Afghanistan; Pakistan and other Muslim countries.

"People are dying. They are burning American flags. Our forces are in danger," he told CNN.

Despite Newsweek's partial retraction, Cheek promised to re-evaluate U.S. military tactics being used in Afghanistan that have drawn criticism from Afghan officials, including President Hamid Karzai.

"We continually review our tactics and certainly as the sovereignty of the Afghan government grows they will want more control, and that is correct and proper," Cheek said.

U.S. forces have been criticized for breaking into homes unannounced and for taking people into custody, sometimes on faulty intelligence.

"It does us no good to detain someone and make 100 enemies," according to Cheek. "We want to be very balanced in our operations. You can't do that through heavy-handed tactics."

Cheek also said the United States wants to engage Afghan religious leaders "to make sure they understand our true values."

Newsweek said anger over the story spread after it was cited at a May 6 press conference in Islamabad, Pakistan, by Imran Khan, a Pakistani cricket legend and a critic of Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf.

Newsweek's Washington bureau chief, Dan Klaidman, said the apparent error was "terribly unfortunate," and he offered the magazine's sympathies to the victims.

But he said "different forces" were at work that helped spark the riots.

"It's clear that people seized on the Newsweek report to advance their own agendas, and that that was part of it," he said.

"But I also think that there's an enormous amount of pent-up and not-so-pent-up anti-American rage and sentiment in that region."

"There are a lot of people who think that our war on terror and our war in Iraq is a much wider war against Islam," he said.

At a Pentagon news conference Thursday, Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, cited U.S. commanders as saying the protests in Jalalabad, at least, were more about local politics than anti-American sentiment stirred by the Newsweek report.

CNN's Barbara Starr and journalist Nick Meo contributed to this report.