Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Women the new face of infidelity ?

Gladiator

Women the new face of infidelity ?

Don't see how this can surprise people in todays society

Research shows women may be cheating now almost as much as men. What are the tolls of new temptations?

Some 60 years ago, Alfred Kinsey delivered a shock to mid century sexual sensibilities when he reported that at some point in their marriages, half of the men and a quarter of the women in the U.S. had an extramarital affair. No one puts much stock in Dr. Kinsey's high numbers any more -- his sampling methods suffered from a raging case of selection bias -- but his results fit the long-standing assumption that men are much more likely to cheat than women.

Lately, however, researchers have been raising doubts about this view: They believe that the incidence of unfaithfulness among wives may be approaching that of husbands. The lasting costs of these betrayals will be familiar to the many Americans who have experienced divorce as spouses or children.

Among the most reliable studies on this issue is the General Social Survey, sponsored by the National Science Foundation, which has been asking Americans the same questions since 1972. In the 2010 survey, 19 percent of men said that they had been unfaithful at some point during their marriages, down from 21 percent in 1991. Women who reported having an affair increased from 11 percent in 1991 to 14 percent in 2010.

A 2011 study conducted by Indiana University, the Kinsey Institute and the University of Guelph found much less of a divide: 23 percent for men and 19 percent for women. Such numbers suggest the disappearance of the infidelity gender gap, but some caution is in order.

Read More Dr. Peggy Drexler: The New Face of Infidelity

Gladiator
    ..this is one writer who don't submit to the double standard.

Credits
    True

Credits
    i'm not surprised. women have the advantage when it comes to cheating also.

Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by massive25 View Post
    i'm not surprised. women have the advantage when it comes to cheating also.
    In what ways women have the advantage over men ?

Credits
    [QUOTE=Gladiator;4349916]

It will remain a surprise as long as words like "unfaithful" and "cheating" and "infidelity" are what people insist on using to describe non-monogamy, conjuring up or reinforcing the egregious idea that exclusivity/monogamy is the only morality.
    MadamStatuesque likes this.
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Gladiator
    [QUOTE=Ananci_7;4350059]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post

It will remain a surprise as long as words like "unfaithful" and "cheating" and "infidelity" are what people insist on using to describe non-monogamy, conjuring up or reinforcing the egregious idea that exclusivity/monogamy is the only morality.
    So how should non-monogmay be described ?

Credits
    Women were ALWAYS the face or should I say HALF the face. If a straight man cheats, who is he cheating with? a woman.
    Some of these women knew before the affair and didn’t care. Some even pressed it… and form what I see around my office daily… WOMEN GET BUSY.
    hahaha
    Mr_Crafty and Triniminx like this.

Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by NASDAQ View Post
    Women were ALWAYS the face or should I say HALF the face. If a straight man cheats, who is he cheating with? a woman.
    Some of these women knew before the affair and didn’t care. Some even pressed it… and form what I see around my office daily… WOMEN GET BUSY.
    hahaha
    I the straight man always cheating on his wife with a married woman ? ..because the article is more focused on married women or women in relationships

Credits
    ah real man would put enough fear inna biitch to make her know that there's ah consequence for cheating...

Credits
    [QUOTE=Gladiator;4350165]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananci_7 View Post

So how should non-monogmay be described ?
    Oh I dunno, how about just another form of sexual interaction.

I mean, I'm not trying to trivialise what is a very sensitive and emotive issue for many people -- although it is becoming a dead horse on this forum in my view -- but the only reason why something like this is given any print at all is because even now the monogamy-is-the-only-morality is still peddled as the only narrative. So much has been written and discussed and yet.....
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by King-NicK View Post
    ah real man would put enough fear inna biitch to make her know that there's ah consequence for cheating...
    women that are with known gangsters have cheated on them.
    u cant stop anybody from cheating.

I the straight man always cheating on his wife with a married woman ? ..because the article is more focused on married women or women in relationships
    sorry
    no he's not.

most married women get caught up with young single men. i know 2 situations going on right now

Credits
    [QUOTE=Ananci_7;4350426]

Oh I dunno, how about just another form of sexual interaction.

I mean, I'm not trying to trivialise what is a very sensitive and emotive issue for many people -- although it is becoming a dead horse on this forum in my view -- but the only reason why something like this is given any print at all is because even now the monogamy-is-the-only-morality is still peddled as the only narrative. So much has been written and discussed and yet.....
    but there's a difference between simply having multiple sex partners and infidelity. If the relationship you're in has an EXPECTATION of monogamy, violating that expectation is committing infidelity, period. Is monogamy the only morality? Of course not. But if you enter into a relationship with an expectation of monogamy and violate that trust between you and your partner, you're acting immorally.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    [QUOTE=SKBai1991;4350466]

but there's a difference between simply having multiple sex partners and infidelity. If the relationship you're in has an EXPECTATION of monogamy, violating that expectation is committing infidelity, period. Is monogamy the only morality? Of course not. But if you enter into a relationship with an expectation of monogamy and violate that trust between you and your partner, you're acting immorally.
    Valid points.

But therein lies the problem; the expectation of monogamy/exclusivity. I've said it repeatedly that barring the flat out scamps a great many people who end up having extra liaisons enter into relationships and marriage do so with the intent of being monogamous. They have no intent to deceive or lie to their partner. Thus their inner conflict when they do find themselves interacting with someone else whom they then find themselves having a sexual attraction which becomes so strong they act on it.....or just fantasise about acting on it.

We underestimate the power of the mindset of a societal custom that forces you from childhood to think that the only moral form of relationship is the monogamous one. Today, even though we have long since acknowledged the existence of open relationships, swinging, sexual friendships (aka friends-with-benefits), these are all presented as aberrations and immoral departures from the "proper" exclusive pairing: the concept of "the One" the soulmate, who has everything you need. This is twinned with the idea that love and exclusivity/commitment is one and the same. These egregious ideas are reinforced daily since childhood by love songs, romantic novels, soaps, dramas, rom-coms and of course religion.

The very language is built around the assumption that monogamy is the only morality. I come back again to Lynn Atwater's book The Extramarital Connection where she said that we don't even have words that describe extramarital liaisons that do not convey a sense of wrong, or sin or something forbidden. Indeed many of the words like "extramarital" and "premarital" sex subtly reinforce the assumption that the only approved sex is within the confines of marriage

Credits
    Valid points.

But therein lies the problem; the expectation of monogamy/exclusivity. I've said it repeatedly that barring the flat out scamps a great many people who end up having extra liaisons enter into relationships and marriage do so with the intent of being monogamous. They have no intent to deceive or lie to their partner. Thus their inner conflict when they do find themselves interacting with someone else whom they then find themselves having a sexual attraction which becomes so strong they act on it.....or just fantasise about acting on it.

We underestimate the power of the mindset of a societal custom that forces you from childhood to think that the only moral form of relationship is the monogamous one. Today, even though we have long since acknowledged the existence of open relationships, swinging, sexual friendships (aka friends-with-benefits), these are all presented as aberrations and immoral departures from the "proper" exclusive pairing: the concept of "the One" the soulmate, who has everything you need. This is twinned with the idea that love and exclusivity/commitment is one and the same. These egregious ideas are reinforced daily since childhood by love songs, romantic novels, soaps, dramas, rom-coms and of course religion.

The very language is built around the assumption that monogamy is the only morality. I come back again to Lynn Atwater's book The Extramarital Connection where she said that we don't even have words that describe extramarital liaisons that do not convey a sense of wrong, or sin or something forbidden. Indeed many of the words like "extramarital" and "premarital" sex subtly reinforce the assumption that the only approved sex is within the confines of marriage
    Now let's talk about the real world.

You underestimate the power of what's obviously right.
    Triniminx likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast