Thread: Which will you recommend

Credits

Which will you recommend

I'm trying to decide between these two museum in DC.

1. Anacostia Museum & Center for African American History & Culture

and
    2. National Museum of African Art

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bebespice

and
    why don't u try both...they both have different things to offer

Credits
    Limited time, I'm starting to think I need a week to see all the things I want to see. That weekend is not gonna do, but than again I can always go back. I also wanted to check out the Frederick Douglass Museum

Quote Originally Posted by Dancer
    why don't u try both...they both have different things to offer

Credits
    Limited time, I'm starting to think I need a week to see all the things I want to see. That weekend is not gonna do, but than again I can always go back.
    in that case the Anacostia Museum & Center for African American History & Culture may be a nice one to visit first

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancer
    in that case the Anacostia Museum & Center for African American History & Culture may be a nice one to visit first
    I shame tuh say that Anacostia is right over my way and I never one day step foot in dey...same fuh Frederick Douglass...even though ah tried once.

I been to the Smithsonian Museum of African Art...about three times actually, one of the first 'outings' I ever had in DC. It was aiite...not on par with other Smithsonian offerings if yuh aks me ...maybe ah been too much.

Frederick Douglass is a National Parks Service run facility...that basically consists of his home in Anacostia, Cedar Knolls...with some writings and artifacts.

I too would suggest Anacostia...simply because I've never been. See if you can squeeze in the Imax theatre at the Air and Space Museum...that is ah boss experience, yuh feel like yuh in de movie itself.

Credits
    Thanks a lot, I'll see what i can do. I only have Sat. after 2:00 and part of sunday to do these.

See if you can squeeze in the Imax theatre at the Air and Space Museum...that is ah boss experience, yuh feel like yuh in de movie itself.[/QUOTE]

Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Credits
    where are the exact locations for these places
    Link me on fassbook http://www.facebook.com/#!/SocaDivaChandelle
    2 Sweet 2 B 4Gotten:)

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark
    I shame tuh say that Anacostia is right over my way and I never one day step foot in dey...same fuh Frederick Douglass...even though ah tried once.

I been to the Smithsonian Museum of African Art...about three times actually, one of the first 'outings' I ever had in DC. It was aiite...not on par with other Smithsonian offerings if yuh aks me ...maybe ah been too much.

Frederick Douglass is a National Parks Service run facility...that basically consists of his home in Anacostia, Cedar Knolls...with some writings and artifacts.

I too would suggest Anacostia...simply because I've never been. See if you can squeeze in the Imax theatre at the Air and Space Museum...that is ah boss experience, yuh feel like yuh in de movie itself.
    That is the reason I didn't recommend it..wasn't impressed, expected more...The Air and Space Museum is the best

Credits
    Anacostia Museum and Center for African-American History and Culture, Smithsonian Institution
    1901 Fort Pl. SE
    202-287-3306, 202-287-2060 (recording)
    si.edu/anacostia
    Daily 10-5
    Free

This Smithsonian museum focuses on the collection, study, and exhibition of African American history and culture at the museum. Metro: Anacostia, Metrobus W2 or W3

Credits
    Frederick Douglass National Historic Site
    1411 W St. SE
    202-426-5961
    nps.gov/frdo/freddoug.html
    Daily 9-4
    Free

Former residence of famed African-American abolitionist, orator, diplomat, essayist and auditor of the U.S. Treasury.
    Metro: Anacostia

Credits
    National Air and Space Museum
    6th & Independence Aves. SW
    202-357-2700
    nasm.si.edu
    Daily 10-5:30
    Free

The world's most visited museum houses the Wright Brothers' 1903 Flyer, Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis, Apollo 11 lunar command module and an incredible collection of aviation and space technology treasures.
    Metro: Smithsonian

Credits

and
    I agree with what dancer said in going to both, but if time is limited, the African Art museum is better. The reason being is that it's right on the mall, where several other mueums are located. The Anacostia Museum is a bit further away. If time is of the essence,it' may not be the best place to go. It Is nice, but it's also out of the way.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlocks
    I agree with what dancer said in going to both, but if time is limited, the African Art museum is better. The reason being is that it's right on the mall, where several other mueums are located. The Anacostia Museum is a bit further away. If time is of the essence,it' may not be the best place to go. It Is nice, but it's also out of the way.
    Please...like DC dat big. It isn't out of the way, it just isn't centrally located. In fact a better argument could be made for visiting the African American Museum and Frederick Douglass residence...since they're both in Anacostia and about 10 minutes apart.

In fact...another 10 mins back across the Anacostia river and you're right at both Smithsonian museums (African Art and Air and Space)...so travel time among all four makes it possible, one would just have to budget one's time at each stop wisely...