Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Will Obama Push the Gay Rights Agenda in Jamaica?

Credits

Will Obama Push the Gay Rights Agenda in Jamaica?

Wha allyuh think?

US President scheduled to visit Jamaica & Panama from April 8th -11th.

Credits
    I hope he reminds the government that beggars cannot be choosers. So as they disgracefully and shamelessly join the beggars' brigade called Caricom in trying to live off the pity of the world, they might spare a thought for their own citizens whose rights are curtailed by the slavish christian ignorance and homophobia that blights them.
    Carib2 likes this.

Credits
    Maybe an even better idea would be to agree to pay "reparations", then proceed to channel them exclusively to those members of Caribbean societies that are genuine victims, like gays.

Credits
    no. he likely won't. what would be the point of it?
    This can't be the end.
    I'll see you again.
    Carnival Prayer

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bktrini305 View Post
    no. he likely won't. what would be the point of it?
    The point would be that sad, pathetic clowns who see themselves as victims of history (i.e. most Caribbean leaders) cannot at the same time expect to get away with victimizing others with the same christian ignorance adopted by their supposed oppressors.

Of course, I think that, independent of the question of gay rights, Caribbean leaders should be ashamed of themselves for pretending to be victims of history and begging for "reparations" - unless they are getting such "reparations" from their west African brethren who sold them.

But the issue of gay rights sums up better than any other the moral shallowness of the victimhood stance in the region. That a Jamaican PM can get on BBC television and say he would not have a gay minister in his cabinet is a bigger problem for Caribbean development than any of the white man's supposed sins.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by robblaten View Post
    The point would be that sad, pathetic clowns who see themselves as victims of history (i.e. most Caribbean leaders) cannot at the same time expect to get away with victimizing others with the same christian ignorance adopted by their supposed oppressors.

Of course, I think that, independent of the question of gay rights, Caribbean leaders should be ashamed of themselves for pretending to be victims of history and begging for "reparations" - unless they are getting such "reparations" from their west African brethren who sold them.

But the issue of gay rights sums up better than any other the moral shallowness of the victimhood stance in the region. That a Jamaican PM can get on BBC television and say he would not have a gay minister in his cabinet is a bigger problem for Caribbean development than any of the white man's supposed sins.

right. but what is in it for Obama to make any statement on that?
    This can't be the end.
    I'll see you again.
    Carnival Prayer

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bktrini305 View Post
    right. but what is in it for Obama to make any statement on that?
    Recently, I have been pleasantly surprised by some of Obama's actions, like the opening to Cuba, and the barely concealed contempt for Netanyahu, which seem to reflect something genuine long hidden inside. If I am correct and he is now feeling freer to engage principle over pragmatism, he just may be the one to deliver the kick of moral reality to the rear ends of Caribbean leaders without being accused of 'colonialism'.

Credits
    Gays getting killed in the US all the time and he ain said anything bout dat yet
    Gays getting killed in the Middle East all the time and he ain said anything bout dat yet
    Gays getting killed in Africa all the time and he ain said anything bout dat yet

So wha de fxck he gotta to ahwee?
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    Gays getting killed in the US all the time and he ain said anything bout dat yet
    Gays getting killed in the Middle East all the time and he ain said anything bout dat yet
    Gays getting killed in Africa all the time and he ain said anything bout dat yet

So wha de fxck he gotta to ahwee?
    Gays may indeed get killed in the USA, as do blacks, Hispanics and Sagittariuses. But no state in the USA has a law against being born in late November or discriminates against being Hispanic in a public place in its constitution, while most Caribbean countries have a law outlawing sex between consenting adults who are of the same gender.

As for Africa or the Middle East, are these (as we are) stable, high-income, high-human development parts of the world pretending to be 'developing' countries only when it comes to begging for aid? No, they are genuine Third World basket-cases with a good excuse for being stupid, religious, bigoted, uneducated homophobic morons. What's our excuse?

Credits
    Recently, I have been pleasantly surprised by some of Obama's actions, like the opening to Cuba, and the barely concealed contempt for Netanyahu, which seem to reflect something genuine long hidden inside. If I am correct and he is now feeling freer to engage principle over pragmatism, he just may be the one to deliver the kick of moral reality to the rear ends of Caribbean leaders without being accused of 'colonialism'.
    funny you should say the above

I was just scrolling the huffington post on my phone and there was an article ( i did not read) but it said " michelle Obama declares black girls rock" and the thought came to me that the Obamas will really bring their blackness out *LOL* when they leave office. The racial politics have really kicked them around - kindda really restricted how they express their views on racial injustice and disparities - not to mention the blantant racism they have faced despite their education, achievements etc -( which does not surprise me).

but most lame duck presidents do things they could not do in the first term because they want to be re-elected. I think with Obamas part of this freedom will include a freedom to be black and express certain things about race.

Supposedly there is a paper that Michelle wrote when she was at Princeton that addrssed certain racial things. the paper is classified and will only be released some yrs from now. She alo took a lot of heat for saying something about this is the first time she felt part of the american procces as a black person ( soemthing to that effect), during the campaign.

Colin Powell also came out and was more expressive on the racism he experienced within his party after the bush presidency.

Credits
    Gays may indeed get killed in the USA, as do blacks, Hispanics and Sagittariuses. But no state in the USA has a law against being born in late November or discriminates against being Hispanic in a public place in its constitution, while most Caribbean countries have a law outlawing sex between consenting adults who are of the same gender.

As for Africa or the Middle East, are these (as we are) stable, high-income, high-human development parts of the world pretending to be 'developing' countries only when it comes to begging for aid? No, they are genuine Third World basket-cases with a good excuse for being stupid, religious, bigoted, uneducated homophobic morons. What's our excuse?
    ...and this is precisely why I don't have any Bahamian friends.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits

The " African brethren". Didn't profit as much or have the ill gained wealth as the colonizers

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    The " African brethren". Didn't profit as much or have the ill gained wealth as the colonizers
    So this is the excuse for their license their homophobia? Big, bad, whitey?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    ...and this is precisely why I don't have any Bahamian friends.
    Why? Because we make too much sense and actually try to apply reason?

Credits
    So this is the excuse for their license their homophobia? Big, bad, whitey?
    no and I did not say or even remotely implied that

I gave a possible reason " African brethren " are not the target of reparations

Again just a possible reason but I'm sure that u have your own opinion that you regard as the gospel

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast