Thread: WI need Lara now says Sir Viv

Credits

WI need Lara now says Sir Viv

BRIDGETOWN: Batting superstar shouldn’t be at home in Trinidad and Tobago now. The most feared batsman of this era should be in New Zealand, says another feared batsman of a previous era.

Sir Vivian Richards, a former chairman of the West Indies selection panel, believes Lara should be in the regional team that opposes New Zealand in a five-match One-Day International (ODI) series ahead of a three-match Test series.

In keeping with what seems to be a recent policy by the selectors, the 36-year-old multiple world record-holder is being rested for the five ODIs between February 18 and March 4...

...before flying out to join the squad for the Test series, starting on March 9.

"It is not right in my mind that we will have one of the best players ever (missing) when West Indies need the sort of support at this stage, going away from home, playing in New Zealand," Sir Viv said.

"We all know New Zealand conditions can be very, very tough. Let us hope that we may consider these sort of things.

"A team that has been failing for some time needs its best player," the Antiguan said.

The former West Indies captain was speaking after the presentation of a US$100,000 cheque to the Barbados Cricket Association for their participation in the upcoming Stanford 20/20 Tournament.

Sir Viv is one of 14 cricket legends acting as ambassadors for the tournament.

Lara’s experience of 121 Tests and 248 ODIs would have been vital, Sir Viv added.

"I would love more than anything else to see our best team in New Zealand. We have a lot of young, inexperienced players who will be on tour," he said.

When Lara was rested for three ODIs against Pakistan last May, West Indies coach Bennett King said it was a move that was designed to prolong his career.

"We want to see Brian play for as long as he can. Sometimes, with people who are a little bit older, you have to manage them a little bit differently," King said then.

"He has been a great player over a longtime.

"If we want to see him for another couple of years in the West Indies, we have to manage his short-term future correctly as well."

http://newsday.co.tt/sports.php
    fresh, fast, fronted and forward

Credits
    carnival in T&T
    is so speshal to all ah we
    like we need blood in we vein
    dats how we feel about port of spain

Credits
    This is the one thing in my mind that I don't like about Brian Lara... the man does it almost every year. He misses a tour right around carnival time. I just doh know why people afraid to talk the truth and buss dih man files.

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiyah
    This is the one thing in my mind that I don't like about Brian Lara... the man does it almost every year. He misses a tour right around carnival time. I just doh know why people afraid to talk the truth and buss dih man files.
    And he'll still be wining in Poison, what's your point?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa
    And he'll still be wining in Poison, what's your point?
    My point is that you don't play for the West Indies when it is convenient for you... you play when you are called up because it is an honour. Lara and the board carrying on with foolishness now.... Lara is what 35? He will soon be retired and have plenty years to play carnival... right now the man sometimes lacks focus.