Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why use African Americans when they not calling themselves European Americans ?

  1. #1
    Registered User trinifrombx is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,124
    Credits
    40,620,353

    Why use African Americans when they not calling themselves European Americans ?

    Why?


    I refuse to address myself to white Americans as such, I am a Black American , the disrespect I see coming out of the Trump supporters, go back to Africa, go back to the Jungle, why are you in " our " country, etc like WTF, remind me again where your ancestors came from !



    I find it insulting that Black Americans , living here calling themselves African Americans or allowing the media to call or define us in this manner unless you have a direct one generation link to Africa, meaning, it is not that we W.I.s don't want to acknowledge the past history, but imo, this is a set up for White Americans to turn around and tell you go back to your country, like really !


    Clip after clip, this is what you hear them telling Blacks, who for the most part were born here !

    We are watering down our claim by not calling ourselves Americans or walking with our American flags !


    How allyuh feel about this ?
    jamaicangirl likes this.

  2. #2
    Registered User Seawall's Avatar Seawall is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    4,328
    Credits
    11,321,991
    They know who the y are. They don't need to say Euro Americans because they use Irish, German, Hungarian, Dutch, or a combination of different European ethnicities. However, they rarely claim to have African blood. In GT, we say African, which is fine with me. You're lost.
    tikreyol, biggadon and mz_JazE like this.
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

    “If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

  3. #3
    Registered User trinifrombx is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,124
    Credits
    40,620,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    They know who the y are. They don't need to say Euro Americans because they use Irish, German, Hungarian, Dutch, or a combination of different European ethnicities. However, they rarely claim to have African blood. In GT, we say African, which is fine with me. You're lost.
    Huh, I don't understand , I work with them, all white immigrants, I never hear them refer to themselves as Dutch , German, etc... Except, except St Patrick's day, or some Jewish holiday that all of a sudden, they are religious, etc.


    Still, you didn't answer my topic, how do you want to be referred to and why , thAt is if you living in America!


    Forget what they saying in GT, the Black there or oppress by the Indians !


    I am far from lost !

  4. #4
    Registered User Carib2 is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,722
    Credits
    42,392,263
    There's nothing wrong with the term ''African American'' but the fact White Americans are not called European Americans - that's the only reason why I personally feel there's a problem with the term ''African American''

    Its funny because personally I feel African people should more opposed to being called ''Black'' than anything else because Black if you haven't noticed is a colour and most African people are not literally Black skinned! So its curious why many people of African ancestry do not want to be called African but want to be called a colour that is associated with evil, negativity and fear - it makes no sense.

    We don't like being called the N word, Negro, Coons or any other derogatory racist term but ''Black people'' is fine?

    African Americans are Americans of African ancestry - what the hell is wrong with that? If anything African Americans and the wider world should be campaigning to do away with the term White to describe people of European ancestry, too because for one they're not literally White and secondly the colour White is associated with everything positive like being pure, clean, good and angelic. I'm sure many of us know Europeans are not universally those things.

    Regarding the situation between Africans or African-Caribbeans that have recently arrived in the USA they should be called exactly where their from. ''Nigerian American'' or better yet Igbo American etc

    Ps the real Americans are the Indigenous peoples...
    mz_JazE and jamaicangirl like this.

  5. #5
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,928
    Credits
    48,746,214

    they might say that nonsense in a crowd but the minute the conversation goes past those two words they are easily owned and they will never have that conversation. I can't tell you how many times i have shut down first generation white americans when they start talking that BS. Their father or grandfather from italy and their mother from ireland (you would be surprised how many of them you see walknig around like they own america are first and 2nd generation) yet they have the gall to tell people go back where they came from.

    They better thank god that black people residing in this place so that they could climg on their backs and move up the social ladder...else many of them would have remained undesirables just like they were in their country of origin.

    Gimme a break!
    mz_JazE and jamaicangirl like this.
    I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

  6. #6
    where de crix Oneshot's Avatar Oneshot is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brick City, NJ
    Posts
    24,668
    Credits
    40,160,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    They know who the y are. They don't need to say Euro Americans because they use Irish, German, Hungarian, Dutch, or a combination of different European ethnicities. However, they rarely claim to have African blood. In GT, we say African, which is fine with me. You're lost.
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!

    that is right there.

    they know who they are.

    It is no different from the newest group of immigrant blacks. They still claim their family lineage down to their pre colonial nations.

  7. #7
    Registered User biggadon is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on de water
    Posts
    709
    Credits
    4,425,823
    Quote Originally Posted by seawall View Post
    they know who the y are. They don't need to say euro americans because they use irish, german, hungarian, dutch, or a combination of different european ethnicities. however, they rarely claim to have african blood. In gt, we say african, which is fine with me. You're lost.
    story done !

  8. #8
    Registered User Lucianite is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    7,579
    Credits
    82,398,092
    But why should we base what we do on what "white Americans " do ?

    They have a different history as been pointed out.

    Reacting to what "white America"think of you is self defeating - it's giving them way too much power....

  9. #9
    Registered User trinifrombx is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,124
    Credits
    40,620,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    They know who the y are. They don't need to say Euro Americans because they use Irish, German, Hungarian, Dutch, or a combination of different European ethnicities. However, they rarely claim to have African blood. In GT, we say African, which is fine with me. You're lost.
    Smh, this went over your head !


    Nonsense talk, they don't say it because the immigrant rules don't apply to them in their mind, they are Americans, this is what the Blacks need to claim !


    Just like they are the majority benefitting from food stamps but frown on poor or minorities getting the same.


    You can let them call you African American !

  10. #10
    Registered User trinifrombx is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,124
    Credits
    40,620,353
    Quote Originally Posted by biggadon View Post
    story done !
    See above !

  11. #11
    where de crix Oneshot's Avatar Oneshot is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brick City, NJ
    Posts
    24,668
    Credits
    40,160,677
    Quote Originally Posted by trinifrombx View Post
    Smh, this went over your head !


    Nonsense talk, they don't say it because the immigrant rules don't apply to them in their mind, they are Americans, this is what the Blacks need to claim !


    Just like they are the majority benefitting from food stamps but frown on poor or minorities getting the same.


    You can let them call you African American !
    have you been to thanksgiving in a italian irish or polish household.

  12. #12
    Registered User biggadon is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on de water
    Posts
    709
    Credits
    4,425,823
    Quote Originally Posted by trinifrombx View Post
    See above !

    Are you ashamed of the FACT that you have AFRICAN lineage.... be proud of that like Tosh said once your a black man your AFRICAN like the BLACK AMERICAN you rather refer to yourself as you are still African..... Just so you know the use of term AFRICAN AMERICAN was popularised by Jesse Jackson .
    Lucianite likes this.

  13. #13
    Registered User Lucianite is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    7,579
    Credits
    82,398,092
    Quote Originally Posted by biggadon View Post
    Are you ashamed of the FACT that you have AFRICAN lineage.... be proud of that like Tosh said once your a black man your AFRICAN like the BLACK AMERICAN you rather refer to yourself as you are still African..... Just so you know the use of term AFRICAN AMERICAN was popularised by Jesse Jackson .
    yep

    speaking to your point..

    i think the point of WHY the term was adopted get lost on some ; the idea was to create an identity of where Blacks/Colored/Negroes came from. not to mention it was the opportunity to name one self...

    whites been saying " go back to Africa" LOOONG before the term African American was adopted.

    the positiveness and intention of creating an identity for one self far out weights all the petty criticism of the term.

  14. #14
    Registered User Lucianite is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    7,579
    Credits
    82,398,092
    Quote Originally Posted by trinifrombx View Post
    Smh, this went over your head !


    Nonsense talk, they don't say it because the immigrant rules don't apply to them in their mind, they are Americans, this is what the Blacks need to claim !


    Just like they are the majority benefitting from food stamps but frown on poor or minorities getting the same.


    You can let them call you African American !
    ??? on bold .. African Americans DO claim AMERICAN - and do you realize AMERICAN is a NATIONALITY. There is nothing that takes away from one's Americaness by the term "AFRICAN AMERICAN"

    some of the biggest parades are the "IRISH AMERICAN" and ITALIAN AMERICAN" parades. So the idea that whites do not attached their ancestry is COMPLETELY FALSE. and again EVEN IF that was true, ################ em - we don't have to follow them - which on many levels is part of our problem- trying to copy white folx.

    langston news speaking about the "Negro artist :

    "If white people are pleased we are glad. If they are not, it doesn't matter. We know we are beautiful. And ugly too. The tom-tom cries and the tom-tom laughs. If colored people are pleased we are glad. If they are not, their displeasure doesn't matter either. We build our temples for tomorrow, strong as we know how, and we stand on top of the mountain, free within ourselves.
    Carib2 likes this.

  15. #15
    Got Kompa? tikreyol's Avatar tikreyol is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    La Perle Des Antilles
    Posts
    5,229
    Credits
    13,284,868
    Why are we so concerned with how other people define themselves? Define yourself which ever way you like as long as its within the realm of reality.
    Lucianite likes this.
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •