Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Why Mixed People Should Not Be Called Black

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    Educator provide your background
    As you have stated on here before
    You are black and Indian and some other
    But when u lived in the states people called u black and that really bothered U
    And your black grandmother use to commend u on our straight hair
    U have this personal complex on mixed race thing
    In fact I once considered our self black until u found out about the one drop rule hence your preoccupation with the rule
    YOU mark my words
    all you yanky minded folks are gonna stop with this culture of yalls trying to push it on caribbean people

mark those words

cause thats all the problem is
    you have a blakmercan mentality
    and not even a normal black mercan yet a HOODRAT JAILBIRD crackhead fiend black mercan mentality
    alrite go continue
    just pointing out the cultural differences

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by A.K.K.S. View Post
    ???? What is the difference between an English, Irish or French last names compared with Spanish. If anything the Spaniards are darker and have more SSA and North African admixture in them lol

What the fock does his last name being "Sotomayor" have to do with the price of rice?

How many Colombians, Belizeans, Hondurans, even Trinidadians have hispanic last names with little to white in them?

Answer me that....
    I was telling you the other day that these folks CANNOT have these conversations with professors or non biased educated people

its amazing they claim to be smart
    smart people deal with facts and truth
    in any case I am tired of the bullshit

this race talk should be had by intellectuals
    A.K.K.S. likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigga Boozy View Post
    I was telling you the other day that these folks CANNOT have these conversations with professors or non biased educated people

its amazing they claim to be smart
    smart people deal with facts and truth
    in any case I am tired of the bullshit

this race talk should be had by intellectuals
    Exactly.

That SKBai feel like cause he got a labcoat and play wit chemicals all day that he could skool ppl..

How come African Americans never score as much as 95% on genetic test yet feel like they have the right to dictate who and who isn't black? Using stupid shi!t like language or last name to do so...WTF??? LOL

Brazilians who score >96% SSA on genetic tests:

Milton Nascimento

Sandra de Sa

SKBai need to start listening to me about all this genetics stuff. Learn about African diversity and stop eating donuts in his lab coat...

Juan Dan
    just like that
    facts are facts and NO intellectual
    yet especially black intellectual would accept the science/theories of raycist wite men 100 years ago

"wite people say the moon made of cheese and I believe it"

in any case when you have some time
    in another thread educated me please on why no light skinned hafricans were taken into translantic slayvery

yet didnt you see them saying sotomayor ugly and gets no poosy
    lol
    "how dare an ugly man have an opinion on black women that is negative"
    A.K.K.S. likes this.

Credits
    I thought this was a very interesting article, especially the bolded

Why Biracial Means Black
    Checking a census box that says "black" doesn't mean you're denying your white ancestry. It's just how we roll in America.
    By: Lauren Williams | Posted: December 14, 2010 at 12:31 AM

When Halle Berry scored her milestone Oscar win in 2002, nobody was screaming from the mountaintops that the first biracial woman had won the Academy Award for best actress. It's not too often that you hear someone calling Barack Obama the country's first biracial president. And although I know people who are biracial and multiracial who primarily refer to themselves as such, I've also heard most of them refer to themselves as black.

My own mother, who is Creole and fair skinned -- to the point where some people assume she is white --will tell you that she is black if you ask, although her answer could be a lot more complicated if she wanted it to be. But isn't it the same for many black people in this country? It's generally safe to assume that most black Americans are multiracial. As The Root's editor-in-chief, Henry Louis Gates Jr., has pointed out, statistics demonstrate that 58.5 percent of black Americans have at least 12.5 percent European ancestry.

That's why a new study about how biracial Americans of black-and-white ancestry often self-identify as black comes as no surprise. What is surprising is that the researchers refer to this decision as "passing for black." As if not mentioning your white ancestry when asked to identify yourself is somehow akin to light-skinned blacks of the past having to completely reject -- sometimes forever -- their heritage and families in order to blend in to white society.

No, it's not the same, and for a lot of reasons: A biracial person can check "black" on a census form and 10 seconds later start talking fondly and proudly about his or her white mother or father (anyone who's heard Obama talk about his family knows this). For biracial or multiracial people to call themselves black is not a wholesale denial of their past and family. It's not a lie. It's not, heaven forbid, a ploy to get minority-based benefits, as was suggested by researchers behind the study. It is, for better or worse, a by-product of living in a country that is only a few generations removed from Jim Crow and the one-drop rule.

I know a little bit about passing. I have a great-uncle who moved to California to pass for white after World War II. He would see the family he left behind only infrequently, and even less often after his children were old enough to start asking questions.

My mother's parents left Louisiana for Washington, D.C., around the same time. They never passed for white, but my multiracial grandparents -- who were of French, African and Native American ancestry -- didn't do what today's researchers might call "passing for black," either. They were Creole, which was what they called themselves in Louisiana and what they continued to call themselves in D.C.

But being "Creole" instead of "black" didn't mean that they weren't expected to relieve themselves in colored bathrooms whenever they ventured South. It didn't mean that their children, raised outside of Louisiana's Creole culture, would grow up thinking of themselves as anything but black. The only other racial road they could venture down was "white," and they certainly weren't that. Self-identifying as black wasn't passing then, and it isn't passing now.

I'm not biracial. I'm technically multiracial, but I'm not in the habit of listing the various links in my DNA chain in order to explain who I am. That's not to disrespect anyone who does. One of the joys of being black (or part black!) in 2010 is that you can identify yourself however you like. Narrowing your complicated racial makeup down to "black" when you're of mixed ancestry is not passing, any more than self-identifying as biracial is a rejection of your blackness.

It took me a while to get to this point. For example, I was once one of the masses of black folks who were disappointed that Tiger Woods seemed so adamant about identifying himself as multiracial instead of black. At the time it felt like a rejection. My opinion on the subject has evolved, and not because the golfer has become more of a punch line than a sought-after commodity. (There was no thunderbolt moment; chalk up my change of heart to the passing of time.)

Bottom line: Woods can identify however he wants. I don't much care. But what we would all do well to realize -- whether we're social scientists, the multiracial crusaders out there who hate that Obama hasn't joined their ranks or a certain fallen sports hero -- is that one person's Cablinasian is someone else's black. And in America, you can't pass for something you already are.

Lauren Williams is associate editor of The Root. Follow her on Twitter.

Like The Root on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
    Can't keep your eyes off my fatty
    Daddy, I want you, na na
    Drunk in love...I want you

Je ne sais quoi
    Cherie, m'vle-ou
    Aswe ya ce net al kole!

Credits

Credits
    just like that
    facts are facts and NO intellectual
    yet especially black intellectual would accept the science/theories of raycist wite men 100 years ago

"wite people say the moon made of cheese and I believe it"

in any case when you have some time
    in another thread educated me please on why no light skinned hafricans were taken into translantic slayvery

yet didnt you see them saying sotomayor ugly and gets no poosy
    lol
    "how dare an ugly man have an opinion on black women that is negative"
    LOL

Well there are many people around the Bight of Biafra (Igbo, Ewe, etc..) who Black people would refer to as lightskinned (no bleaching or admixture either):

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by A.K.K.S. View Post
    LOL

Well there are many people around the Bight of Biafra (Igbo, Ewe, etc..) who Black people would refer to as lightskinned:

and THEY were taken to the caribbean and the americas?

so if that be the case it could mean the light skin is not cause of wite mixture yet they CAME FROM HAFRICA like that?

from my research it appears they rounded up CERTAIN tribes/peoples
    and those peoples were mostly all dark skinned with the stereotypical big nose and lips

light skin harabic types also went too?

my main issue is people pretending that ethiopians types and those somalli types were also taken

in a bid to try claim kinship to those folks
    those in the pic above look nothing like the ghana and nigerian types we are said to come from
    WEST hafricans

Credits
    Another EPISODE of RACIAL STUPIDITY on ISLANDMIX DOT COM.

Credits
    consistant... consistant... but ill try to understand...

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    Another EPISODE of RACIAL STUPIDITY on ISLANDMIX DOT COM.
    you so jealous
    akks slayed you MANY times
    cause all you can do in a debate is ask questions
    a person responds toyou
    you ask another question
    they ask you a question
    you ask another questoin
    thats not debate
    thats trickery sir
    this is not soca games
    this should be serious
    yet ask me a question now
    a person just has to see any and ALL of your debates to know you jim carrey comedian
    A.K.K.S. likes this.

Credits
    you so jealous
    akks slayed you MANY times
    cause all you can do in a debate is ask questions
    a person responds toyou
    you ask another question
    they ask you a question
    you ask another questoin
    thats not debate
    thats trickery sir
    this is not soca games
    this should be serious
    yet ask me a question now
    a person just has to see any and ALL of your debates to know you jim carrey comedian
    SMH

Asking someone a QUESTION is TRICKERY?

Well, I do not need to say anymore.

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    SMH

Asking someone a QUESTION is TRICKERY?

Well, I do not need to say anymore.
    nothing wrong with askign questions
    its the fact that you NEVER give any answers when asked yourself
    which is why you jump up in this thread
    cause you used to put up nothing but pictures as answers to questions posed to you concerning whether west hafricans are light skinned
    remember you said slayves of translantic slayvery came from "ALL OVER" hafrica?
    and I laughed at you for saying that
    in any case as I said akks slayed you many times
    he dealing with facts and scientific principles

you chiek diop types are gonna stop misleading the people with made up bullshit bout their history

Credits
    i discussed a similar topic to this in another thread you know...basic point is black is the best, and most influential race on the planet. everybody want to be like us, including white folk, thats fine but dont let other races come and abuse it. example, dont claim to be "down" ad dressing a certain way then be bragging and boasting about your your good hair, your light skin, your straight nose, or the fact you half spanish or indian etc....cmon. wake up my people....the 1 drop rule is bullsh1T and always will be... in simple math, how can half equal a whole? why degrade weself.
    i only promote dominica's culture...who vex loss.........

Credits
    and THEY were taken to the caribbean and the americas?
    Many actually. Igbo and Ewe people laid out the foundation for Jamaican and Belizean Creoles/Patois.... Words like "unu" and "cho!" come str8 from them.

so if that be the case it could mean the light skin is not cause of wite mixture yet they CAME FROM HAFRICA like that?
    Most of it is admixture and some of it is a combination of both "Biafrids" and admixture.

from my research it appears they rounded up CERTAIN tribes/peoples
    and those peoples were mostly all dark skinned with the stereotypical big nose and lips
    White people still don't see the differences in admixed "blacks" today... Imagine 400 years ago when everyone was purer and "property". Does the farmer distinguish his chickens?

light skin harabic types also went too?
    Nah, no Arabic speakers went.

A point I'd like to make is that Africa doesn't have much Arabs. They have brain-focked, Arabized Berbers/Amazigh and Egyptians, Northern Sudanese and Northern Chadians who feel they are Arabs just cause some hook-nosed, stinky Yemeni told them that they were heathens for not following "Allah".

my main issue is people pretending that ethiopians types and those somalli types were also taken
    Hell's no. Those people come from this tucked away corner of Africa. They are the only set of Africans on the whole continent that West Africans and Bantus haven't been able to dilute.

in a bid to try claim kinship to those folks
    those in the pic above look nothing like the ghana and nigerian types we are said to come from
    WEST hafricans
    Well some of them looked like that too. It's a fact.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast