Thread: why is the Government so blinkin teif?

Credits

why is the Government so blinkin teif?

Miller Ponders Tax On Bottled Water
    Wednesday November 21, 2007
    CityNews.ca Staff
    As Torontonians get used to the idea of paying the new land transfer tax and vehicle registration fee voted in by city council, there's word of a possible new levy: on bottled water.

According to a published report Mayor David Miller is supportive of a proposal by Parkdale-High Park Councillor Bill Saundercook to add a five cent price hike to water bottled in Ontario and a 10 cent boost to water bottled elsewhere.

The councillor pitched the idea last month ahead of a vote on the other two controversial taxes. In a letter written earlier this month Miller said he was for the idea. But it's far from becoming reality as some councillors including the city's budget chief Shelley Carroll say it would be costly and impractical to bring in.

The City of Toronto Act gives the municipality broad taxing powers but it can't tax manufacturers directly - meaning individual store owners would have to collect the tax themselves, a proposal they're not happy about.

If Toronto does end up popping a tax on bottled water it would follow in the footsteps of Chicago, which last week slipped a five-cent tax on the item.

Some North American cities, including Los Angeles, San Francisco and Salt Lake City, have asked municipal employees to stop buying bottled water, and in Ontario the town of Blue Mountains near Collingwood brought in a ban on the items in city buildings for environmental reasons.

At this point the discussion on a Toronto bottled water levy is still in the discussion stage and may not go any further than that.

Toronto homeowners will already be paying more for tap water next year as rates are set to rise nine per cent.

i swear government is trying to squeeze money out of us where ever they can damn.

Credits
    Move to Durham. Worked for me.
    ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!

Credits
    dey sickening eh!!

Credits
    I hear d cities been complaining that the federal govenrment oney takign from d municipalities and NOT giving back nutten to help dem thrive...hmmmm.. Now dem wah tax bottle water.....what nexxx?

Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Credits
    Because we innocent/civilians of a nation. put them in power.
    so they feel that .they should do anything they want in office.
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!
    Thanks again see you phony people next year !!!!!!! ,2013.

(Ayisien,we going to build it nice after the earthq"ke,R.i.p)

I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

Credits
    it's just 5 cents more .. damn... you gon need to buy 20 bottles to spend a dollar more than you should.

Credits
    Is still people 5 cents dey teefing

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniDivaWoman View Post
    Is still people 5 cents dey teefing
    People too selfish, as these fu-ckas hear they gotta give away 5 cents it's a big protest.

Fcuk em, Take that shit Mr miller.

SocaIrish
    hope they invest that extra money in the environment and recycling efforts - 'cause the rise in bottled water consumption over the last 15 years or so is a major problem.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SocaIrish View Post
    hope they invest that extra money in the environment and recycling efforts - 'cause the rise in bottled water consumption over the last 15 years or so is a major problem.
    yup that is the issue, and i dont trust shops to collec the taxes.