Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why do Dominicans hate being called Black?

Credits

Why do Dominicans hate being called Black?

I heard they keep insisting that they are 'triracial' rather than following the one-drop rule of Anglo-Saxon/Germanic influenced nations liked T&T, Barbados, Canada, United States, British WI etc. That's understandable as Latin cultures of Spain and Portugal ex-colonies didn't really care about as much as the English or Dutch colonizers did, but what strange to me is how Dominicans hate other black people and get emotional if you call them dark skinned (not black!).

Credits
    Dominicans are Mulatto-ish Triracials on average. Something like 50% West Eurasian/"Caucasoid", 43% West/Central/Southeast African and 7% Native/Taino.

There are some that are predominantly African, but the majority are predominantly non-African/West Eurasian/"Caucasoid". There are even quite a few individuals who have more native ancestry than African.

I would say a Dominican who has a similar ancestry like myself (76% African, 14% European and 10% Native) might identify as Black or Triracial. And they are free to do so.

Credits
    dominicans are tri racial, nothing wrong with them identifying as such, i dont like seeing bernie mac colored negroes in panama saying they aint black though thats some bs. Its mainly panyas tho.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sankofaa View Post
    dominicans are tri racial, nothing wrong with them identifying as such, i dont like seeing bernie mac colored negroes in panama saying they aint black though thats some bs. Its mainly panyas tho.
    Do the colonial Afro-Panyas act as if they aren't black in Panamá? I know the West Indian descendants don't act like that.

Credits
    I only have problem if they deny their African ancestry.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by A.K.K.S. View Post
    Dominicans are Mulatto-ish Triracials on average. Something like 50% West Eurasian/"Caucasoid", 43% West/Central/Southeast African and 7% Native/Taino.

There are some that are predominantly African, but the majority are predominantly non-African/West Eurasian/"Caucasoid". There are even quite a few individuals who have more native ancestry than African.

I would say a Dominican who has a similar ancestry like myself (76% African, 14% European and 10% Native) might identify as Black or Triracial. And they are free to do so.
    But their hostility to blacks are not normal. I even saw an Black Dominican guy get emotional when an Jamaican guy 'what's up bro' because he thought it was 'black talk'. They say 11% of Dominica is black officially, LOL I been to SD.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by A.K.K.S. View Post
    Do the colonial Afro-Panyas act as if they aren't black in Panamá? I know the West Indian descendants don't act like that.
    some of them do, not the majority

Credits
    The reason is because Dominicans are largely mixed people.

Just to add, T&T does not follow the one-drop rule and has both Anglo and Latin influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatakai View Post
    But their hostility to blacks are not normal. I even saw an Black Dominican guy get emotional when an Jamaican guy 'what's up bro' because he thought it was 'black talk'. They say 11% of Dominica is black officially, LOL I been to SD.
    The Dominican Republic and Dominica are two different countries.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatakai View Post
    I heard they keep insisting that they are 'triracial' rather than following the one-drop rule of Anglo-Saxon/Germanic influenced nations liked T&T, Barbados, Canada, United States, British WI etc. That's understandable as Latin cultures of Spain and Portugal ex-colonies didn't really care about as much as the English or Dutch colonizers did, but what strange to me is how Dominicans hate other black people and get emotional if you call them dark skinned (not black!).
    This isn't unique to DR people. Trust me. There are a lot of blacks from other countries who hate other blacks and get angry if you call them dark. Come to think of it, a lot of people who aren't black (Indian, Chinese, etc...) have a problem with dark skin too.

Either way, the DR is not seen as a great example of a society to follow and I'm happy about that.

Credits
    Again? SMH

Missmayling likes this.
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Look what that Somali Kat got y'all talking about now. Dominicans will never change..it's woven too deep into the very fabric of their society. Either either way, I blame it on that part hatiano Trujillo. He's the one that incited hatred and contempt not just for the hatians but among his very own people.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CmeYah View Post
    Look what that Somali Kat got y'all talking about now. Dominicans will never change..it's woven too deep into the very fabric of their society. Either either way, I blame it on that part hatiano Trujillo. He's the one that incited hatred and contempt not just for the hatians but among his very own people.
    No one wants to be Black. The Black race is doomed, even black men are running after non black women, mostly whites and biracials

It's the natural way of things, evolution in the works as we speak.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CmeYah View Post
    The anti Haitian sentiment began before Trujillo.
    Collie4Nyah likes this.
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Dominicans are mixed

Credits
    but black dudes love fukking dominican chicks....lol
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

weak men only can deal with weaker women

in the presence of strength you diminish...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast