Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Why are black families on tv always

Credits

Why are black families on tv always

kids always range from dark to light? lol hollywood still a little unrealistic in that sense...were some of them bleaching? did the claire bun cliff huxtable? do ya'll ever notice this, or do you have these bright colour differences withing your own immediate family...btw this doesnt count if the kids have different parents on tv

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Biz View Post
    kids always range from dark to light? lol hollywood still a little unrealistic in that sense...were some of them bleaching? did the claire bun cliff huxtable? do ya'll ever notice this, or do you have these bright colour differences withing your own immediate family...btw this doesnt count if the kids have different parents on tv
    i was thinking about this same thing 2 days ago when I was watching the Crosby show
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    or they will have two parents with kinky hair , two children with kinky hair and one biracial looking child... they ALWAYS have a child with curly hair in these shows... it always amazes me that they do this..
    Teatre likes this.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits

lol

Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    i was thinking about this same thing 2 days ago when I was watching the Crosby show

Hibernation is a covert preparation for a more overt action.

Credits
    i dont think they are going for continuity on these shows... they are more concerned with finding kids that can act.. and once they find one they are going to run with it... because from what i understand Kids that can act and have great timing and can take direction well are very hard to find in hollywood..

Plus its not that unheard of for a family to have a lighter and darker siblings
    mz_JazE and TC like this.
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    Or the son Is always black with kinky hair but the daughters always look biracial. The only time I saw something different was on the Cosby show everybody hates Chris and Bernie Mac show.
    ladyrastafari and Teatre like this.
    ~~When your character is built on spiritual and moral foundations, your contagious way of life will influence millions.~~

Real Eyes
    Realize
    Real Lies

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Ms. Classy Lady~ View Post
    Or the son Is always black with kinky hair but the daughters always look biracial. The only time I saw something different was on the Cosby show everybody hates Chris and Bernie Mac show.
    yup

Credits
    How is it unrealistic? In many families involving people of colour, the family members can have different complexions quite often. We all know why this is, or should anyway. I am talking about siblings from the same two parents even. My mother and her siblings all vary in complexion from very dark skinned, to lighter brown for lack of better terminology, this is because my grandparents have different complexions. It`s not unrealistic at all.
    LIONESS onda RISE likes this.
    ─╤╦︻ Ordem e Progresso ︻╦╤─

"Now doesn't it make you feel better?
    The pigs have won tonight.
    Now they can all sleep soundly,
    and everything is all right."

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TweetaFineeta View Post
    How is it unrealistic? In many families involving people of colour, the family members can have different complexions quite often. We all know why this is, or should anyway. I am talking about siblings from the same two parents even. My mother and her siblings all vary in complexion from very dark skinned, to lighter brown for lack of better terminology, this is because my grandparents have different complexions. It`s not unrealistic at all.
    Yes but this appears to be a universal depiction of black families on TV when in reality this is not always the case. Many of the shows I grew up on had light skin girls with straight/curly hair while the boy could be dark/have afro hair. They replace some dark skin actresses with lighter ones and think nothing of it.

Credits
    They always have a mulatto daughter. Fresh Prince, Cosby, My wife and kids etc.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Teatre View Post
    Yes but this appears to be a universal depiction of black families on TV when in reality this is not always the case. Many of the shows I grew up on had light skin girls with straight/curly hair while the boy could be dark/have afro hair. They replace some dark skin actresses with lighter ones and think nothing of it.
    ...but all of this can happen depending on what parts of the DNA/ heritage the child inherits. It's in my own immediate family. You understand that many black people have a lot of other things in their heritage and these things can display themselves in a child's lineage far down the line.

If we take the focus off of skin colour or hair texture for one moment let's turn the argument to facial features.

How do you have family of siblings some look like the mother, some look like the father, some look like a grandparent or great grand parent, some look like other relatives???

It's all part of the same equation - and what the child inherits nothing more, and nothing about it is unrealistic especially when you all of a person's heritage isn't from the same region / breeding stock.
    ─╤╦︻ Ordem e Progresso ︻╦╤─

"Now doesn't it make you feel better?
    The pigs have won tonight.
    Now they can all sleep soundly,
    and everything is all right."

Credits
    i think that people are saying .. that the depictions of the black sitcom family always play to the concept that the girls in the family must have wavy/curly hair.. so in a way they reinforce the stereotype of what is generally pushed to be acceptable as in why can't the girls generally have kinky hair.. why the emphasis that they must have curly hair?

its not that these things cannot exist in a family.. it's that on television you would rarely see a family where the boys AND the girls had kinky hair like the parents..
    mz_JazE likes this.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    yeah, theres a certain stereotype portrayed
    but, it can be the same in white sitcoms too
    blonde vs. brunette etc
    as someone already said, sometimes acting ability is more important to the producers, depends on the show I suppose....
    Hibernation is a covert preparation for a more overt action.

Credits
    i can see the acting thing being a valid reason...

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Biz View Post
    In my family we are all different hues...I have to find a photo with my mom and her sisters... they all are different hues different hair textures and eye colors and the first thing that is asked "do they have the same parents?" Now my Mom's said it was very rare when she was growing up to see two light skinned people together or two dark skinned people together...that people down South had like an unwritten rule of sorts and would purposely breed with someone the opposite color of themselves so the kids would come out in a spectrum of browns...smdh... or maybe this was just my family

Both of my parents are brown (mom red-brown, dad-dark brown) and I came out yellow...when I was born and my mom sent a photo back to her family down South they said she must have married a chinaman

So when I watched the Cosby Show it didn't seem weird to me that the two oldest kids were fair with curly hair and the rest were brown with kinky...just seem normal kinda like my family

I think the best casting for TV family was My Wife and Kids

And keep your money, I got my own
    Keep a bigger smile on my face, being alone
    Bad motherfcuker, God complex
    Motivate your ass call me Malcolm X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast