Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: When will Black people as a collective become really liberated?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    well, more power to you - and i'm sure there are others like you - so ther are "black People" who are empowered.

and there is a saying
    "to whom much is given much is expected"

so as we help to empower all , we must do it form a place of love and understanding and of course PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is paramount - we must also address the systematic and legacies that things are a certain way for others...

So here we are on the internet and who " have tertiary and I get a liveable salary. I am not struggling... "

how can you build with other like minded folk is far more constructive than

"BLACK people are bla blah bkah (negative)"
    Point taken.
    Lucianite likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    you really think the average american knows european history? history is nothing more than a set of beliefs, i see where you are coming from though. i dont even think we need a true reflection of history, just a couple hollywood style movies showcasing some nigerian gods instead of greek / norse. some heroic war movies showcasing the valient fights of the Zulus vs Bothas in SA, and a romantic love story about a black queen of sheba. and then people might have some more self pride.
    I hear you...that's when people will start paying attention.
    In regards to African History, here's one of my old professors. Too bad I don't have any of my old curriculums from this professor, but he's a great resource. Morgan State University - Dr. Jeremiah Dibua
    Lucianite likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post
    I hear you...that's when people will start paying attention.
    In regards to African History, here's one of my old professors. Too bad I don't have any of my old curriculums from this professor, but he's a great resource. Morgan State University - Dr. Jeremiah####Dibua
    its really bad for us in popular media.

a friend of mine posted some hollywood memes, one was playing of on a white man playing ################a kinta, so i decide to go have a look.. i searched for zulu on amazon..

A towering cinematic achievement. An astonishing true story. And "a battle film in the grand tradition of Four Feathers and Gunga Din" (Time)! Filmed against the exotic locales of Africa and starring Stanley Baker (The Guns of Navarone), Jack Hawkins (Lawrence of Arabia) and Academy AwardÂ(r) winner* Michael Caine (in his first major motion picture role), Zulu is a thrilling account of one of history's fiercest battles! As a terrifying war chant echoes across the majestic African plains, 4000 Zulu tribesmen rise up from the tall grassthat hides them. Furiously beating their swords against their shields, the warriors descend upon a small garrison of English soldiers. "Usuto! Usuto! (Kill! Kill!)," they cry as they launch into a battle with the vastly outnumbered English militia who must manifest incredible skill and incomparable bravery just to survive. *1999: Supporting Actor, The Cider House Rules; 1986: Supporting Actor, Hannah and Her Sisters

seriously?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    its really bad for us in popular media.

A friend of mine posted some hollywood memes, one was playing of on a white man playing ################a kinta, so i decide to go have a look.. I searched for zulu on amazon..

A towering cinematic achievement. An astonishing true story. And "a battle film in the grand tradition of four feathers and gunga din" (time)! Filmed against the exotic locales of africa and starring stanley baker (the guns of navarone), jack hawkins (lawrence of arabia) and academy awardâ(r) winner* michael caine (in his first major motion picture role), zulu is a thrilling account of one of history's fiercest battles! As a terrifying war chant echoes across the majestic african plains, 4000 zulu tribesmen rise up from the tall grassthat hides them. Furiously beating their swords against their shields, the warriors descend upon a small garrison of english soldiers. "usuto! Usuto! (kill! Kill!)," they cry as they launch into a battle with the vastly outnumbered english militia who must manifest incredible skill and incomparable bravery just to survive. *1999: Supporting actor, the cider house rules; 1986: Supporting actor, hannah and her sisters

seriously?
    smh...I've seen that meme floating around, I forget the actor's name. It was one of those chuckle and shake your head type of things because it's not far from the current truth.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadadlineko View Post
    Black people as a group will become liberated when they liberate their minds first. The struggles and problems that black people are having is all in the mind. With knowledge and understanding of one's self black people can become liberated.

For example I watch a lot of american discussions/debates/programmes on youtube where some black people complain how there are no role models to teach them how to be better on tv. Where they ask "why doesn't hollywood or some other group feature more black people in their programs and shows?" Now that is the problem with the black race right there. Alot of black people waiting for every Tut, Moon, Sam and Bag-I to help them and take care of them with their problems but not doing anything to help themselves.

Black people on a whole spend a lot of money on all kind of foolishness like shoes, hair etc and hardly invest. Also a lot of black people especially in the USA don't travel outside of the country therefore they don't get a different perspective on life. They don't get to see how black people are making strides in other parts of the world thereby giving them hope for a better future.

A lot of persons have the internet and therefore can access information. However, we are waiting cap in hand for someone to hold our hands and guide us to the knowledge.

Black people will become liberated when they start to invest in their own communities, start educating their own children and start supporting their own businesses as well as valuing education as a whole and learning about their history pre-slavery. But I don't see that happening in my life time.

you don't have to travel outside of the country to see other bl people making it, most other countries bl people worse off than americans.

People should travel though, it's hard with children

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sankofaa View Post
    you don't have to travel outside of the country to see other bl people making it, most other countries bl people worse off than americans.

Yes and no. I was watching a discussion on youtube last night. It was a discussion about the rise of china in africa and how the west ignore africa thinking how it poor and backward when africa has a large black middle class bigger than the US and how china is tapping into it. It was a discussion with some american guy name richard howard I think who wrote a book. And he was talking to an audience about it. Plus look I was reading that the richest black woman in the world is no longer oprah but this black woman from africa. She surpasses oprah by 300 million dollars. So even though certain countries might have a lot of poor black people those same countries have a lot of middle class to rich ones and I think that can inspire black people as whole.

When you say its hard to travel with children do you mean financially?

Credits

People tried to deny this in that thread about being sorry for people who are child-free....

Credits
    Would you expect a white American to arbitrary pick a European country and start studying it? You mention White Americans so I am replying to that.

Most White Americans neither know nor care about their European ancestry. They can name a few countries but they don't have much interest. There are exceptions of course - the Scandinavians in Minnesota, the Irish in Boston and the Italians in NY (just as examples) but even those people care very little about their ancestry. I do not know a single Irish-American or Italian-American who speaks Irish or Italian or who has even lived in their ancestral land without having relatives to visit.

Learning an African language =useless. Most American Blacks do not even speak/write/read English well. I am focusing on US Blacks because that is what I know. It would be more useful for them to learn English and then Spanish. I study languages for fun and I speak a tiny bit of Swahili (which I taught myself as a child) and a bit of Twi which I taught myself more recently. But I do not recommend that people who cannot write proper English try to learn an obscure language for no reason. I had a client filling out a form ask me if the word "profession" meant her race!! Born and raised and educated in the USA. Once English is mastered, Spanish should be learned. This is my opinion but it is based on reason.

Our relationship with sub-Saharan Africa should be one of pride and brotherly love and concern. We should know the general history of the colonization of the continent and how Africans came to the new world. I agree with you that we should also know the history of the real Africa as it existed before European contact.

But most importantly, we should know about what is going on in Africa today! How many of those Western doctors getting Ebola were Black? How many of the businesses being bought by Chinese could have been invested in my the upper middle class Black Americans. How many Chinese have moved to places in Africa where Black Caribbean people and Black American people would not even think to visit? Start a thread asking how many IMIxers (who have the money) have invested in or donated to any person or cause in Africa. How many people that you know have adopted a child from Africa, etc.

I would equate being liberated to focusing on the present and the future.
    - Focus on advanced education and wealth retention
    - Focus on avoidance of "bad" things such as STIs, violence, drugs, crime, abuse, gangs, unwed parenting, imprisonment, etc. These are things for which we are known.
    - Focus on family including elder care, two-parent families, no divorce/abuse/adultery, single-parenting, etc.
    - Stop attributing African features to being ugly and equating non-Black hair, skin, features to being beautiful. Stop believing in the one-drop-rule. Stop preferring non-Black women over Black women due to their features alone or to stereotypes. The idea that women will ever wear their natural hair 100% of the time before this change in perception happens is insane.
    -Stop being promiscuous, stop having and spreading HIV, stop having abortions.
    -Stop being overweight, stop smoking cigarettes, stop avoiding medical checkups
    Carib2 and Vye Negre like this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Carib2 View Post
    How long will it take for every single Black person to know their history (not f'ing slavery but our Ancient Empires, our African Languages etc), wear their hair natural 100% of the time, becoming equal to White people in terms of statistics and getting rid of our negative stereotypes.

40 years?

80 years?

180 years?
    The idea of "African" history is offensive. The history of the continent is diverse. We are mutts- mixed with multiple different ethnic groups. Not even 23andme can tell us who our ancestors were.

Would you expect a white American to arbitrary pick a European country and start studying it? You mention White Americans so I am replying to that.

Most White Americans neither know nor care about their European ancestry. They can name a few countries but they don't have much interest. There are exceptions of course - the Scandinavians in Minnesota, the Irish in Boston and the Italians in NY (just as examples) but even those people care very little about their ancestry. I do not know a single Irish-American or Italian-American who speaks Irish or Italian or who has even lived in their ancestral land without having relatives to visit.

Learning an African language =useless. Most American Blacks do not even speak/write/read English well. I am focusing on US Blacks because that is what I know. It would be more useful for them to learn English and then Spanish. I study languages for fun and I speak a tiny bit of Swahili (which I taught myself as a child) and a bit of Twi which I taught myself more recently. But I do not recommend that people who cannot write proper English try to learn an obscure language for no reason. I had a client filling out a form ask me if the word "profession" meant her race!! Born and raised and educated in the USA. Once English is mastered, Spanish should be learned. This is my opinion but it is based on reason.

Our relationship with sub-Saharan Africa should be one of pride and brotherly love and concern. We should know the general history of the colonization of the continent and how Africans came to the new world. I agree with you that we should also know the history of the real Africa as it existed before European contact.

But most importantly, we should know about what is going on in Africa today! How many of those Western doctors getting Ebola were Black? How many of the businesses being bought by Chinese could have been invested in my the upper middle class Black Americans. How many Chinese have moved to places in Africa where Black Caribbean people and Black American people would not even think to visit? Start a thread asking how many IMIxers (who have the money) have invested in or donated to any person or cause in Africa. How many people that you know have adopted a child from Africa, etc.

- Focus on avoidance of "bad" things such as STIs, violence, drugs, crime, abuse, gangs, unwed parenting, imprisonment, etc. These are things for which we are known.
    - Focus on family including elder care, two-parent families, no divorce/abuse/adultery, single-parenting, etc.
    - Stop attributing African features to being ugly and equating non-Black hair, skin, features to being beautiful. Stop believing in the one-drop-rule. Stop preferring non-Black women over Black women due to their features alone or to stereotypes. The idea that women will ever wear their natural hair 100% of the time before this change in perception happens is insane.
    -Stop looking for the next girl to "bull" or the next marijuana use or bling. Stop ridiculing people who are moral and praising people for their vices.

We could be equal to Whites in one generation but no one cares enough to make it happen.

Credits
    The idea of "African" history is offensive. The history of the continent is diverse. We are mutts- mixed with multiple different ethnic groups. Not even 23andme can tell us who our ancestors were.
    What is that " offensive" . you cannot compare us to Europeans because they were not denied history. there are some movements or ways through DNA to find out where one is from. Regardless, history is important and one can study a "region " or even "continent. "offenisive " is a rather strong word for making a case against learning. I there is a category of "ASIAN" history or South AMerican" history. One can start broad and then get specific.

Learning an African language =useless. Most American Blacks do not even speak/write/read English well. I am focusing on US Blacks because that is what I know. It would be more useful for them to learn English and then Spanish. I study languages for fun and I speak a tiny bit of Swahili (which I taught myself as a child)
    again, rather strong language in response to a suggestion about learning. Learning anything is RARELY useless. I'll leave the "Most American Blacks do not even speak/write/read English" comment again.

yes black should take note of global and especially African affairs - no doubt!!

-Stop looking for the next girl to "bull" or the next marijuana use or bling. Stop ridiculing people who are moral and praising people for their vic
    yes , PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is a must for aLL peoples - there are some systematic and environmental changes that make Personal responsibility more likely

We could be equal to Whites in one generation but no one cares enough to make it happen.

All men are created equal

I would rather say that we can solve racial disparities or something like that

Credits
    Your argument about learning to speak an African language being useless...only to turn around and then say, blacks/AA should learn about Sub-Africa, invest and or volunteer makes no sense.

How are you going to invest/do business and volunteer if you cannot communicate???? Even on a conversational level, i.e. hello, where can I find Mr./Ms./Mrs. office, taxi take me to, etc.
    Lucianite and mz_JazE like this.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadadlineko View Post
    Yes and no. I was watching a discussion on youtube last night. It was a discussion about the rise of china in africa and how the west ignore africa thinking how it poor and backward when africa has a large black middle class bigger than the US and how china is tapping into it. It was a discussion with some american guy name richard howard I think who wrote a book. And he was talking to an audience about it. Plus look I was reading that the richest black woman in the world is no longer oprah but this black woman from africa. She surpasses oprah by 300 million dollars. So even though certain countries might have a lot of poor black people those same countries have a lot of middle class to rich ones and I think that can inspire black people as whole.

When you say its hard to travel with children do you mean financially?
    That doesnt change the fact that the overwhelming majority in most of those countries is in a poverty we dont even understand in this country.

Credits
    Things will change when people start to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    well, more power to you - and i'm sure there are others like you - so ther are "black People" who are empowered.

and there is a saying
    "to whom much is given much is expected"

so as we help to empower all , we must do it form a place of love and understanding and of course PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is paramount - we must also address the systematic and legacies that things are a certain way for others...

So here we are on the internet and who " have tertiary and I get a liveable salary. I am not struggling... "

how can you build with other like minded folk is far more constructive than

"BLACK people are bla blah bkah (negative)
    "
    Chen ki japé pa mňde!

Credits
    That doesnt change the fact that the overwhelming majority in most of those countries is in a poverty we dont even understand in this country.
    yeah it is a different kind of poverty, we are used to self inflicted poverty here

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaicangirl View Post
    People tried to deny this in that thread about being sorry for people who are child-free....
    no one said it wasn't harder...or more difficult (that wasn't the discussion actually)

the discussion was that people don't travel because of their kids and that is simply not true because you have millions of childless people who have never traveled and then you have millions of children (mine included) with multiple stamps on their passports!

soo......
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast