Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: When Did Carnival Get Sexualized?

Credits
    oh boy.. here we go again ..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Gladiator
    Most times the image that comes to mind of most Carnivals are half naked women getting on out of control. Seen pics and videos with these Carnival women dragging their p*ssy all over the pavement claiming they 're dancing lol...yes a lot of men would flock but there is nothing unique or different about this versus Spring break or Mardi Gras..its all the same...whatever makes one happy
    Last edited by Gladiator; 07-05-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Credits
    I blame one band Poison. Every big man is linked back to Poison besides a few trust me.
    SWAGGERIFIC likes this.

The greatest city in the world come 2012!!
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post
    In the early days of carnival, drumming and singing used to take place. Now carnival puts emphasis on whining and sexual objectification of women. When did the transition take place?
    It still is about drumming and singing. Sexual repression over the years has developed into total and utter lewdness but you still need a beat to "whine" dont you?

I am in a samba band and I can assure that even though the women are scantily-clad they are in no way as overtly sexual as the Caribbean carnivals. You usually see women dry-humping eachother or men. In the Brazillian carnival you rarely see Brazillian women doing that. The passistas (the bikini women) are careful to sexually tease the man with little contact. There is a little more dynamics to the choreography unlike the ubiquitous "whine".

Caribbean women have taken this "sexual liberation" to another level. Funny that some of these same women want a monogamous relationship.

Nevertheless, I like samba style and tolerate the caribbean style.

Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Credits
    In the early days of carnival, drumming and singing used to take place. Now carnival puts emphasis on whining and sexual objectification of women. When did the transition take place?
    Carnival was always a sex symbol women and men in colorful costumes looking half naked and yes forum of turning your waistline its way the soca music which the rhythum is faster, back then when carnival started in Trinidad it was calypso. Which rhythum is slow then soca (a person can't really whine to calypso the rhythum is much slower than soca ,soca rhytum is way faster then calypso that's how whine came invented from soca music) Trinidad carnival and other Caribbean nations carnival and Brazil carnival where infulence from France which europens (mainly the french) play Masquerade for cocktails party when the slaves forum there own idea of masquerade Carnival ! Which its today we west indians call carnival "Play Mas"
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!
    Thanks again see you phony people next year !!!!!!! ,2013.

(Ayisien,we going to build it nice after the earthq"ke,R.i.p)

I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

Credits
    I wasn't going to say anything but since a certain friend only chooking mih and after some piece of misinformation Haitianprince in post #20, I say frig it, ok

Last ting first, HP, the view that you can't wine to calypso as opposed to soca is simply dead wrong. I grew up in the 1970s and most of the road marches were calypsoes and they were quite uptempo. Also there are a number of calypsonians and soca artistes who get really steamed up over the separation of the genre; they argue vehemently that soca IS calypso, just amped up. People like DeFosto and Beckett have long since shown that you can sing a calypso that is lyrically strong and still dance and wine down the place to the music. Nuff said

As for the main topic I think the question is not worded accurately. Since its beginings in Ancient Egypt 4-5000 years ago the "Mas" has always had a sexual or erotic element; it's a fertility festival for goodness sake. It began when the Africans of the Nile Valley celebrated the fertility of the earth and women and the new crop seasons. It passed onto the Romans via the Greeks who copied it from Arcadian shepherds. In Rome it became the Feast of the Lupercal and the Saturnalia festivals and was no less erotic.

I think I understand, though, the point Opti was trying to raise. This new sexual assertiveness is linked to the increasing female presence in the Mas which took off around the mid 1970s. That in turn was related to the rise of the various women's movements that gained momentum in the late 1960s. Many bandleaders would tell you that they were responding to the demands of women who wanted less and less restrictive clothing as they were consciously and unconsciously struggling to kick off the sexual repressiveness that exists (even now).

One of the problems with that, however, is that many of these bandleaders have no knowledge or care for the history of the Mas and the uniqueness of Trinidad Carnival so the skilful striking of a balance simply never enters the picture. So now we seem to be flooded with the tasteless, repetitive bikini-and-feathers Las Vegas showgirl imitation stupidness that seems to be all pervasive. But the sexuality aspect was always there since its beginnings
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananci_7 View Post
    I wasn't going to say anything but since a certain friend only chooking mih and after some piece of misinformation Haitianprince in post #20, I say frig it, ok

Last ting first, HP, the view that you can't wine to calypso as opposed to soca is simply dead wrong. I grew up in the 1970s and most of the road marches were calypsoes and they were quite uptempo. Also there are a number of calypsonians and soca artistes who get really steamed up over the separation of the genre; they argue vehemently that soca IS calypso, just amped up. People like DeFosto and Beckett have long since shown that you can sing a calypso that is lyrically strong and still dance and wine down the place to the music. Nuff said

As for the main topic I think the question is not worded accurately. Since its beginings in Ancient Egypt 4-5000 years ago the "Mas" has always had a sexual or erotic element; it's a fertility festival for goodness sake. It began when the Africans of the Nile Valley celebrated the fertility of the earth and women and the new crop seasons. It passed onto the Romans via the Greeks who copied it from Arcadian shepherds. In Rome it became the Feast of the Lupercal and the Saturnalia festivals and was no less erotic.

I think I understand, though, the point Opti was trying to raise. This new sexual assertiveness is linked to the increasing female presence in the Mas which took off around the mid 1970s. That in turn was related to the rise of the various women's movements that gained momentum in the late 1960s. Many bandleaders would tell you that they were responding to the demands of women who wanted less and less restrictive clothing as they were consciously and unconsciously struggling to kick off the sexual repressiveness that exists (even now).

One of the problems with that, however, is that many of these bandleaders have no knowledge or care for the history of the Mas and the uniqueness of Trinidad Carnival so the skilful striking of a balance simply never enters the picture. So now we seem to be flooded with the tasteless, repetitive bikini-and-feathers Las Vegas showgirl imitation stupidness that seems to be all pervasive. But the sexuality aspect was always there since its beginnings

were the rhomans and greeeks ghay at that time?

cause allegedly they did everything nayked

hence "mas" might have been a school of nayked fishes
    3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

Credits
    circa 1977 @ 3pm est
    SWAGGERIFIC likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12