Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Alpha Unit
  • 1 Post By Alpha Unit

Thread: Whats your point of view

Credits

Whats your point of view

When a dj ask to play in a party or on a radio station most people in charge ask them to submit a mix cd, that is something I use to agree with but after a while I seen that it made no sense in way I seen guys make mix cds for others and they give to who they want. my view is give them a try live and if the stick they time up like the Apollo how are you to really know that they are the ones make it.
    Greenz till I die ( Pantonic panorama 2011 for me )

Taj
    Credits
    i guess its a factor of time, and location and setup.
    what you prefer is the real test but not always convenient?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by theunknownone View Post
    When a dj ask to play in a party or on a radio station most people in charge ask them to submit a mix cd, that is something I use to agree with but after a while I seen that it made no sense in way I seen guys make mix cds for others and they give to who they want. my view is give them a try live and if the stick they time up like the Apollo how are you to really know that they are the ones make it.
    Dat whole concept is stupid for many reasons.

Doing a mix is a stress free environment so no real way of judging how a person handles radio or a party. While radio can be stress free if you know what you are doing, if you're not qualified it will easily show. A better idea would be to ask the person to pre-record a 30-60 min radio segment to be aired. this ensures that they put in a quality effort that could offer a glimpse into their abilities. You can make the baddest mix and still be out of sorts in a party so even that is worthless. I have witnessed experienced DJs play all the right tunes at precisely the wrong moment or in an order that just didn't move the crowd one bit. If they record that live and give a promoter he would probably love it, not knowing how shitty it came across. Unless you are absolutely brand new to the artform, a DJ should be insulted that a promoter asks them for a mix.

Funny story: a promoter in Boston call's me up, says he heard about me from a family member that he grew up with. Made some inquiries from other DJs and was told "yeah Scorpion is ah boss". So in the call he reveals all this and offers me a gig. The gig however is their appreciation party so they don't charge and the DJs don't charge them because is their regular DJs. Fair enough. So as the call progresses I realize this smart man trying to get me to pay my own way and cover my own expenses to come and play for their event as an audition. This man lucky I have family that know him because he wouldn't have even wanted to hear my name mention after that. So i told him the dates don't work and let it be. He tried me twice after again with that same audition concept and each time I was busy. I think he got the message. I will never ever as God is my witness pay to play (and no DJ should) for anyone no matter how big the event.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    Well I dont think a dj should pay to play never did that don't intend to,

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by theunknownone View Post
    I would love the chance to go live against another soca dj. Especially one who feel they bad .....
    Linkage !!!

facebook.com/SoundLion - Friend Me
    https://www.youtube.com/user/li0ns0und - Mixes / Remixes --- Check Me Out

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bo$$ View Post
    Dat whole concept is stupid for many reasons.

Doing a mix is a stress free environment so no real way of judging how a person handles radio or a party. While radio can be stress free if you know what you are doing, if you're not qualified it will easily show. A better idea would be to ask the person to pre-record a 30-60 min radio segment to be aired. this ensures that they put in a quality effort that could offer a glimpse into their abilities. You can make the baddest mix and still be out of sorts in a party so even that is worthless. I have witnessed experienced DJs play all the right tunes at precisely the wrong moment or in an order that just didn't move the crowd one bit. If they record that live and give a promoter he would probably love it, not knowing how shitty it came across. Unless you are absolutely brand new to the artform, a DJ should be insulted that a promoter asks them for a mix.

Funny story: a promoter in Boston call's me up, says he heard about me from a family member that he grew up with. Made some inquiries from other DJs and was told "yeah Scorpion is ah boss". So in the call he reveals all this and offers me a gig. The gig however is their appreciation party so they don't charge and the DJs don't charge them because is their regular DJs. Fair enough. So as the call progresses I realize this smart man trying to get me to pay my own way and cover my own expenses to come and play for their event as an audition. This man lucky I have family that know him because he wouldn't have even wanted to hear my name mention after that. So i told him the dates don't work and let it be. He tried me twice after again with that same audition concept and each time I was busy. I think he got the message. I will never ever as God is my witness pay to play (and no DJ should) for anyone no matter how big the event.
    Yo if yuh have skills dawg ... Yuh Have No Worries.
    I would preffer to do something LIVE. Make Dem Fel It.
    You Know How I Do Bo$$
    Linkage !!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TRINILI0N View Post
    Yo if yuh have skills dawg ... Yuh Have No Worries.
    I would preffer to do something LIVE. Make Dem Fel It.
    You Know How I Do Bo$$
    Apart from skills I have a job with benefits so I cah geh caught up in dem follishness lol. I know quite a few notables that would shamelessly jump at the opportunity tho
    theunknownone likes this.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    Apart from skills I have a job with benefits so I cah geh caught up in dem follishness lol. I know quite a few notables that would shamelessly jump at the opportunity tho
    What having a job have to do with it bodayy ? I have a full time job with FULL benifits myself ... it doe have to be no competition thing in a fock up sense ... just who have vibes get bigg'dup ... yuh could line up de notables dem ... ah go teach dem something. We have we liming quarters in queens .... Lehwee STart De Bacchannal
    Linkage !!!

Credits
    What having a job have to do with it bodayy ? I have a full time job with FULL benifits myself ... it doe have to be no competition thing in a fock up sense ... just who have vibes get bigg'dup ... yuh could line up de notables dem ... ah go teach dem something. We have we liming quarters in queens .... Lehwee STart De Bacchannal
    Ah think yuh missed de pont fella lol. I was referencing what I was offered and know plenty DJs have no day job and little responsibilities, so for them they would make something like what I was offered into a minivacation in order to audition. I see it as being taken advantage of, which is why I not interested in the least.
    theunknownone likes this.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    I have a 9-5 good for life covered with everything thats the reason why when I charge someone to do an event and they say they cant work with price I just tell them ok some djs make seem like they need the money.

Credits
    What a he saying as the ones that aint have no job is the ones messing up the business buy undercharging

Credits
    Hard luck dey .... I always tryin to line up a vibes.
    Linkage !!!