Thread: What yuh tink?

Credits

What yuh tink?

I just read a heated discussion on another board regarding Sean Paul. The poster says the only reason Sean Paul get so big, so quick is because of his complexion and his bi-racial features.

He then went on to say that artists such as Elephant Man, Baby Cham, etc, don't have any crossover appeal because they are darker skinned and just look like negroes.

Wanted to know if anybody have any thoughts...

Awright den :)

[font color = red][font size = 4] [b] "Love is blind. Marriage is the real eye-opener." [/font]

RE: What yuh tink?

if looks was the case shabba would have never crossed over .....:)
    Mr. Lova Man SHABBBA........

Credits

it could be true, you have to remember how marketing works and how these companies think and how the general public thinks. i posted something on beyonce in the "junkmail" section that is somewhat related. image is everything (wait, isn't that the 7up or sprite slogan or something?!:)) people still think that lighter is better, esp some white people...as far as blacks are concerned. the closer we look like them, the better. times haven't really changed at all. look at india arie and alicia keys. they both came out at around the same time. i find india arie's music to be very good, she plays the guitar, she's talented too...BUT, she's dark skinned and not what some people would consider beautiful (my sis says she's straight-up ugly!:o), and i think that is one of the reasons why she did not do as well as alicia.

BUT, i love sean paul's "gimme the light" video!!! it is the best, and last i checked, it was #4 on 106 & park, and aj well hailin' out de west-indians these days!

Credits

I do think Sean Paul is talented, but his image probably helped him out a little more.
    I remember how him blaze Angie Martinez one time on Hot 97 because she told him that she was very surprised when she saw him because he doh look Jamaican!!

I wonder if is the same kinda scenario with Rupee, because after visiting Barbados, I get to understand that Rupee doesn't have the same appeal there as he does over here.

[font color = red][font size = 4] [b] "Love is blind. Marriage is the real eye-opener." [/font]

Credits

ding ding!!! :):)

Proper Pork...
    "Leve Pou Manje Sa"

Dragon

http://www.westindiantimes.net/Sean%20P13.jpg

[font color="Black" size="2" face="face"]I did not want to come out me hole. But I had to make ah comment on this topic

READ this
    June 24th, 2002

NEW YORK CITY, NY "Just gimme the light, and pass the dro" On any given street corner from Brooklyn to Miami to Kingston, you're guaranteed to hear this infectious hook from Sean Paul's blazing new single, "Gimme The Light,"
    blasting from car windows, bodegas or simply being sung by teenage girls. Dancehall's hottest young star has the streets on lock.

That's just the beginning of the story. Presently, "Gimme The Light" has just entered Billboard's Hot 100 at Number 97 with a bullet. It is Number 47 on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart and still climbing, while hitting an impressive Number 25 on the new "Hot Rap" chart. Sean Paul's ode to having a good time has been garnering upwards of 300 spins a week at urban and crossover radio, and a video directed by Little X (Nelly, Jay-Z, Ja Rule) is set to air in the coming weeks. Hands down, "Gimme The Light" is the reggae party joint of the summer.

Sean is no stranger to crossover radio success. His double barreled Y2K breakthrough crossover smashes "Deport Them" and "Hot Gal Today" blasted Sean onto the Billboard Hot 100 charts, landed Sean on the radio concert circuit (Hot 97's "Summer Jam") and spurred sales of his successful debut Stage One, eventually making Sean Paul VP Records' Top-Selling artist. Likewise, the runaway success of "Gimme The Light" is poised to set up the release of Sean Paul's powerful sophomore offering, Dutty Rock, slated for a late summer, early fall release.

My two cents

I think the person has some merit. American society donít take well to dark skin or unattractive people unless you have ah lot of talent

J lo is not the best singer or actress.. but she has a nice behind and people like her :9

Sean Paul is an ok singer Ö but he has to thank hot 97 and the Hispanic community for their support. Wlib and wbls do a good job playing Caribbean music. But if hot 97 play your music then you stand a better chance. Donít forget VP records they are doing ah great job promoting the culture. Wish they would do the same for soca ;-)

Please donít cuss me :*
    [/font]

[font color="RED" size="4" face=""][center]Islands United
    Girl Power
    October 10th Miami Carnival
    [/font]
    http://www.islandmix.com/cgi-bin/backchat/dcboard.cgi?az=view_attachment&file=3d400fa20b20e20a.jpg

Credits

Drag,
    I must agree wid yuh to some extent -- he gets a lot of love in the Latino community (multi-million sales in Spanish-speaking countries).

I am not trying to knock his success in any way, I am sure it was hard for him to receive credibility as a dancehall artist (he is the first "Uptowner" to receive such a welcome in de dancehall community), but it would be crazy not to acknowledge that his looks and his "exotic un-Jamaicaness" (as compared to the other big dancehall artists like Beenie, Buju, Bounty, etc) is a plus.

Credits

TRINI FAMILY DAY

Credits

Topclass can you elaborate on what you meant by " exotic un jamaicaness" i was following you until that point...

juck bwa an patat la
    WOUY ME F