I liked the ground provisions and other fish and Veggies

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    we used to go to church in the afternoon and kiss jesus feet

eat mackrel

some kindda ginger biscuit - called "penne piece"

fishcakes (ackra)

I liked the ground provisions and other fish and Veggies
    gawd i hate mackrel jus d smell does make me sick...

metm ... is all i can remember and when my bday falls on Good Friday ... Good behavior.

Credits
    i havent seen mackarel in years.. didnt eat it though..

umm eat hot cross buns, and pelt two blows behind a good Friday bobolee somewhere lol...

eat whatever i gave up for lent when the sun go down..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    [QUOTE=ladyrastafari;4223675]a good Friday bobolee somewhere lol...

QUOTE]

what is that ?

yeah that mackrel does stink for true

Credits
    Good Friday legends
    By Louis B Homer

Story Created: Apr 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Apr 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT )

What would Good Friday celebrations be without the traditional effigy of Judas Iscariot being hung on telephone and electricity poles in strategic places throughout the country.

For centuries this tradition depicting the betrayal of Jesus by one of his disciples called Judas, became an act of revenge by Christians. As it grew in popularity it became a feature of the celebration depicting the betrayal and death of Jesus Christ.

The effigy normally called Good Friday Bobolee represents Judas Iscariot, the disciple of Jesus who betrayed his master for 30 pieces of silver. In the Holy Bible it states "After the decision to crucify Jesus, Judas exited the temple where the trial was taking place and went and hung him in the courtyard"

For centuries Good Friday bobolees had taken centre stage among youths in most rural villages in Trinidad and Tobago. Judas was garbed in ragged clothes with a cap on his head. He was the victim of violent attacks. He was beaten with a stick, kicked, spat upon, and when he fell to the ground he was beaten until his effigy was completely disfigured, and left lying helplessly on the side of the road.

The hanging of bobolees was a major concern of T&TEC. As a safety measure officials of the company had warned about the danger of hanging these objects on the poles.

The origin of this practice is unknown, but for centuries Judas was charged with aiding and abetting the decision to crucify Jesus. In the Gospel of Mark reference is made to the "Kiss of Judas", which was the final act before Christ was crucified. Mark explained "Judas chose the most terrible of signs to identify Jesus by kissing him. Judas had told his conspirators before they captured Jesus, "Whom I shall kiss, that is he." When he kissed Jesus he used the word "kataphilein"." states William Barclay a Presbyterian theologian.

Local cultural activist, Junior Bisnath said for the past 30 years he has been involved in creating effigies of Judas, " Since I was a child I was taught to show revenge for Judas for betraying his master and I taught my children to do the same thing on Good Friday."

Bisnath said, "Apart from the Judas story, several folk stories surrounding Good Friday celebrations were told to me by my parents. We were not allowed to bathe in the sea on Good Friday after noon, because we would turn into a fish" He also spoke about images of Jesus lying in a coffin. "We use to open a common fowl egg just before midnight on Good Friday and in the white of the egg we use to see Jesus in a coffin"

Bisnath said a friend from Tobago told him about some of the mysteries of Good Friday in Tobago. "One was if you cut a physic nut tree on Good Friday morning you will see blood oozing out from the fruits, and at the root of the tree, instead of soil you will see coals."

Some of the traditions and religious practices that have found their way into the Good Friday celebration are the clothes worn by the faithful while attending church services, the meals prepared for that holy day, and fasting and abstinence by Catholics.

Father Christopher Lumsden RC priest at Chaguanas said "some earlier practices have been changed, For example it is now accepted to wear any colour clothing while attending services on Good Friday, The rules governing fast and abstinence still applies," he said. However the tradition of not eating flesh on Good Friday is still practised by Christians. The traditional meal is simply fresh or tinned salmon, ground provisions and a salad.

this is what it is..... they usually have a public figure chosen to be the Good Friday bobolee as well.. so for example let's say it was a minister of parliament.. people would good kick up that person bobolee all over the country lol
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    We used to have fish fries over both of my grandmother's, but that's changed since Grandma converted to being a JW. My Granny just goes to the fish market to buy her 4 pieces of fish for her and Grandpa, and that's it.

Credits
    None really. My parents and grandparents had the usual buh like it ends with me.

Credits
    bun and cheese
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend- Arabic proverb

Credits
    when i was a kid in sunday school they used to have kids sit in front the alter and the minister would come around with a pale and wash our feet to symbolize when jesus washed the apostles feet or something like that...

every year i used to beg the sunday school teacher not to sign me up for that bullshit... cause by the time the pale got to me, the water was dirty as hell from them other kids dirty feet... Dem nasty ass funky ass kids...

My moms used to make sure i scrubbed my feet before i did that shit so not to embarass her...
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

sharkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello BKLYN View Post
    when i was a kid in sunday school they used to have kids sit in front the alter and the minister would come around with a pale and wash our feet to symbolize when jesus washed the apostles feet or something like that...

every year i used to beg the sunday school teacher not to sign me up for that bullshit... cause by the time the pale got to me, the water was dirty as hell from them other kids dirty feet... Dem nasty ass funky ass kids...

My moms used to make sure i scrubbed my feet before i did that shit so not to embarass her...
    Damn Brooklyn kids

Official Winin' criminal Soca_Loving_Trini's Avatar Soca_Loving_Trini is offline
    Credits
    Well for the last 2-3 years I did the 'good friday walk' where they reenact the journey Christ took with the cross, then church again in the afternoon. Didn't make the walk this morning though due to a lil incident, and i'd like to make it to mass this evening but I have some commitments. For lunch its usually provision and fish, but mums not feelin that so she doing some split peas with fish.
    Doh cry fuh me! When I dead bury me in the Carnival, so I will never, never miss out the bachanal.... When I gone put me down in the Savannah so I could never, never miss a next Panorama! My daddy was on a wining trip, Mammy conceive on a wining ship and when I born I come out a soca chile......

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
    Damn Brooklyn kids
    my fault, that was the thursday... Friday my mom used to drag me to church... That shit was torture.. 3 hour service.. i used to be so pissed off
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

sharkie
    my fault, that was the thursday... Friday my mom used to drag me to church... That shit was torture.. 3 hour service.. i used to be so pissed off
    Good Friday for us was fish and provision and I think we usually visited my Dad's cousin and his family and spent the day with them.

We went to church on Glorious Saturday standing all night in Arima RC holding a candle in a styrofoam cup.

Credits
    @ LR - thanks....interesting....

Credits
    I dont have any. Its another work day for me. Funny enough, cause if no one mentioned today being Good Friday I will not have remembered

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast