Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What’s new in South America? Blackface is okay in Peru

Credits

What’s new in South America? Blackface is okay in Peru

Here we go again...

What’s new in South America? Blackface is okay in Peru
    FEBRUARY 22, 2013 BY MARÍA XIMENA PLAZA

Peruvian media have revived the debate regarding Negro Mama, a popular character of the prime time TV show El Especial del Humor. The show, aired on one of the country’s main TV channels, Frecuencia Latina, features actor Jose Benavides in blackface, wearing a prosthetic nose and lips as well as black, hairy gloves on his hands. His motto is “I might be a blacky, but I have my little brain” (Podré ser negrito, pero tengo mi cerebrito). To get a sense of his “humor,” see here and here for sketches of the Negro Mama.

Despite its popularity, Negro Mama has been highly criticized by Afro-Peruvian organizations. They’ve played a key role in campaigns against Afro-stereotypes.
    The most active Afro-Peruvian organization calling for an end to Negro Mama on TV, is LINDU (Centro de Estudios y Promoción Afroperuano). Last month they requested Frecuencia Latina to stop featuring the character.
    So what’s so offensive about Negro Mama, apart from its black face and pronounced features? In an award-winning essay, Stanford University student Kiah Thorn argues that the more recent episodes of the show associate Negro Mama with robberies, violence, puns about herpes, the trafficking of cocaine and the penitential system. Negro Mama plays on the worst stereotypes associated to cultural and social attributes associated with Afro-Peruvians and uncritically exhibits these for the whole Peruvian nation to watch.
    The public disapproval towards Negro Mama started in 2010, when LINDU filed a petition against Frecuencia Latina for the Ethics Tribunal of the National Society of Radio and Television, which in turn ordered the TV Channel to apologize to the Afro-Peruvian community. The government body stated that “the terms used by Negro Mama can be considered as authentic expression of hatred against a racial minority… And despite not invoking violence, the messages have a strong racist content.” (See here for a news report about the decision.) Along with a broadcasted apology, Frecuencia Latina issued a press release: “We value the people who might feel offended and Frecuencia Latina ows it to the audience and will always make an effort to serve everyone and not to offend anyone.”
    Back then, Negro Mama followers started a fierce online campaign defending the character. Kiah Thorn explains that during this phase of the controversy the Que Regrese el Negro Mama (“For the Return of the Negro Mama”) Facebook page reached thousands of followers. However, you can still read dissenting comments on the group’s Facebook wall, such as this one written by professor Juan Navarro: “The bottom line is that, Peruvians of black race, feel outraged because JB (Jorge Benavides) presents Negro Mama as an “ignorant black,” in other words, he stereotypes the compatriots of color, and that is very wrong. This is why he must not return to TV, many kids see the character and make up an image in their minds, the incorrect image created by this comedian.”
    In a 2010, the BBC reported “… the country’s most popular comedy show–referring to El Especial del Humor and Negro Mama–abounds with racial stereotypes that are familiar to the audience, which scarcely questions what they are watching.” The reporter, Dan Collyns, added that “… perhaps the biggest obstacle to ending racism is the fact that it is simply seen as a joke.”
    Other media initiatives have also joined efforts to force the channel to withdraw Negro Mama from Peruvian television, such as the tumblr blog peruanista.tumblr.com, which has called attention to Negro Mama’s foul stereotypes: “On national television, a black-faced character depicting a black man, a proof that racism in Latin America is worst than imagined.” The site invites visitors to file a petition to several Government bodies.
    The debate revived recently when several Peruvian online media sites quoted Monica Carillo, the founder of LINDU: “Jorge Benavides’s intention to improve his character aside, we consider that it has become a mark installed in the memory of the people 14 years ago. He–Negro Mama–is a clever one, but he is also delinquent and ignorant.” LINDU took the case further up to the Ministry of Communications and Transportation and is also working on a legislation to sanction racist attacks (see here and here for related news reports).
    In the meantime, Peruvian social media continue to criticize and defend Negro Mama. The Facebook page Afro Noticias Peru recently posted an ad of the show El Especial del Humor, followed by the comment: ‘“Frecuencia Latina Thinks Big!?” No, it does not think big. The racist stereotyping by Negro Mama demonstrates the channel’s policy: the contempt toward the Afro-Peruvian people through messages that build a racist propaganda.’
    But that hasn’t stopped fans of Negro Mama to continue lauding him online. Another Facebook page, “No to the censorship of Paisana Jacinta y del Negro Mama,” keeps posting tribute videos to Negro Mama. With over 19,000 followers, this page is a clear sign that the black-faced character might be with us for a little longer.
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits

Credits
    Wow

How it come to be that they can diss us with impunity
    Maybe a global response from across diaspora

Credits
    It's funny, when Mexicans and/or Peruvians portray black people, the character always has a Cuban accent xD

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by 123KINGpapi View Post
    It's funny, when Mexicans and/or Peruvians portray black people, the character always has a Cuban accent xD
    yup its funny to them
    same way midgets are funny
    same way fat people on tiny bicycles are funny
    same way a blak perosn tells another blak person they blak like gods dog shit
    etc etc etc etc

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigga Boozy View Post
    yup its funny to them
    same way midgets are funny
    same way fat people on tiny bicycles are funny
    same way a blak perosn tells another blak person they blak like gods dog shit
    etc etc etc etc
    Why are midgets funny to you?

Midgets are midgets, just like short is short and tall is tall.
    Do I need to give you the dictionary meaning of midget yet again?

Midgets are not funny my friend but a midget doing something funny could be funny just like you doing something funny could be funny.

You need to stop your obsession with creating a negative stereotype of midgets my friend, there is nothing wrong with them whatsoever and many are proud to be midgets just like I am proud of being a Trini.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    Why are midgets funny to you?

Midgets are midgets, just like short is short and tall is tall.
    Do I need to give you the dictionary meaning of midget yet again?

Midgets are not funny my friend but a midget doing something funny could be funny just like you doing something funny could be funny.

You need to stop your obsession with creating a negative stereotype of midgets my friend, there is nothing wrong with them whatsoever and many are proud to be midgets just like I am proud of being a Trini.
    you are not evolved enough to have this conversation
    I say that cause until you are able to comprehend that ANY PAIN IS PAIN
    then you have NO RIGHT to complain bout any that affects you

if you dont understand that then there is nothing I can tell you

if you cant NAME 10 COUNTRIES THAT YOU SAY OR THINK ARE WAYYYYYYYYY BETTER THAN TRINIDAD then all you have is a bias

its normal and stereotypical

maybe its a trini thing
    yet yall real hardheaded
    "trini the best place in the world I love it so much" is like "black is beautiful"
    maybe you dont really believe it and its just something to say like "I love jesus so much"
    lol
    in any case I cant trust your "truths"

Credits
    you are not evolved enough to have this conversation
    I say that cause until you are able to comprehend that ANY PAIN IS PAIN
    then you have NO RIGHT to complain bout any that affects you

if you dont understand that then there is nothing I can tell you

if you cant NAME 10 COUNTRIES THAT YOU SAY OR THINK ARE WAYYYYYYYYY BETTER THAN TRINIDAD then all you have is a bias

its normal and stereotypical

maybe its a trini thing
    yet yall real hardheaded
    "trini the best place in the world I love it so much" is like "black is beautiful"
    maybe you dont really believe it and its just something to say like "I love jesus so much"
    lol
    in any case I cant trust your "truths"
    You seem to be one of those fools who imagine stereotypical stuff in your head about other people and then convince yourself that it is all real.

Very little of what you typed above applies to me.

Once again if you look in the Oxford dictionary for the meaning of the word midget;

midget • noun 1 an extremely small person. 2 (before or after noun) extremely small: a midget submarine.

Nowhere does is say that the word is meant to convey an insult nor was it ever used as an insult in the original history of the word.
    Lucianite likes this.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Juan Dan
    You seem to be one of those fools who imagine stereotypical stuff in your head about other people and then convince yourself that it is all real.

Very little of what you typed above applies to me.

Once again if you look in the Oxford dictionary for the meaning of the word midget;

midget • noun 1 an extremely small person. 2 (before or after noun) extremely small: a midget submarine.

Nowhere does is say that the word is meant to convey an insult nor was it ever used as an insult in the original history of the word.
    lol
    you being daft my brother

I am VERY SURE no decent person uses that word in public

for example was watching merican idol last night and the white dude said some blond hair very darkskin liberian girl is a queen of the jungle or something

and I had to console myself from laughter cause really she could have a been a jungle bunny
    I dont even know what a jungle bunny is

yet I think its a racial insult and that shit is funny
    for example if I say a wite person called hal sharkton a parch mankey koon I would find that so amusing

know what a REAL porch mankey is or even a coon

I am sure many blak folks reallllly look like racoons

just as many blak folks really look like garillas

just as how SOOOOOOOOOOOO many wite people REALLY look like fluffy lil pigs snout n all

yet its not a polite thing to say
    unless you blak of course

in any case its either you a rum bar type person who says anything or you realise that one has to be pc

or we could all say exactly what we want and not give a fukk
    hence you can call me a midget and I call you mahatma mankey

Credits
    lol
    you being daft my brother

I am VERY SURE no decent person uses that word in public

for example was watching merican idol last night and the white dude said some blond hair very darkskin liberian girl is a queen of the jungle or something

and I had to console myself from laughter cause really she could have a been a jungle bunny
    I dont even know what a jungle bunny is

yet I think its a racial insult and that shit is funny
    for example if I say a wite person called hal sharkton a parch mankey koon I would find that so amusing

know what a REAL porch mankey is or even a coon

I am sure many blak folks reallllly look like racoons

just as many blak folks really look like garillas

just as how SOOOOOOOOOOOO many wite people REALLY look like fluffy lil pigs snout n all

yet its not a polite thing to say
    unless you blak of course

in any case its either you a rum bar type person who says anything or you realise that one has to be pc

or we could all say exactly what we want and not give a fukk
    hence you can call me a midget and I call you mahatma mankey
    I wouldn't call you a midget unless I don't know your real name and you are actually a midget and I need to get your attention quick. And it wouldn't be meant as insult either.

For example if you really are a midget and I don't know your name, I might say to you "Midget get out of the road quickly, a bus is coming" and it won't be meant as an insult but might just save your life as you will immediately know I was referring to you and not someone else!

As I said to you midget means midget and is not meant as an insult unless you are ashamed of being a midget. If I was a midget I would be quite proud of it and to hell with anyone who would think that I shouldn’t be proud of it, I am special and stand out from the crowd.

Btw Jigga Boozy, that same midget from T&T that you were feeling sorry for in the Soca Monarch is quite famous and is on the radio right now in T&T doing some comedy!
    Tune in to his radio show here: http://www.citadel.co.tt/istream/index.php?station=2
    He is probably making more money than you and is quite happy with his life as a standout midget in T&T.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Well, don't watch the Alexis Valdes show in Miami...
    Maruka likes this.

Credits
    yawns... They prefere to be called LITTLE PEOPLE...little ppl..ppl don't like being called midgets any ways so defining what a midget is..is still an insult

Credits
    If they need to shut down the show they need to ban all TP TV SHOWS!!!! his movies can pass tho

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    yawns... They prefere to be called LITTLE PEOPLE...little ppl..ppl don't like being called midgets any ways so defining what a midget is..is still an insult
    It is only an insult if you are a midget and you are ashamed of being one!

The word historically was never created to be an insult and is meant to describe what a miniature person actually is.

It is only in modern PC times that the word is suddenly being promoted to be an insult.

Calling a midget a midget is the same as calling me a Trini or calling you a Dominican and is not meant to be an insult.

You people need to read your dictionaries before following some of these dumb PC Americans.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    It is only an insult if you are a midget and you are ashamed of being one!

The word historically was never created to be an insult and is meant to describe what a miniature person actually is.

It is only in modern PC times that the word is suddenly being promoted to be an insult.

Calling a midget a midget is the same as calling me a Trini or calling you a Dominican and is not meant to be an insult.

You people need to read your dictionaries before following some of these dumb PC Americans.
    If a large number of little people don't like to be called such, then how can you as an average height person (not one of them) defend the use of the term?
    mz_JazE likes this.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast