Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the relationships like between the different ethnic groups in TnT

Credits

What are the relationships like between the different ethnic groups in TnT

I don't know much about Trinidad and Tobago from personal experience but it appeared to be a melting pot of culture to me. However I read this:

The population is mainly comprised of blacks (the descendants of former slaves), East Indians (originally brought to the island as contract laborers from northern India), whites, and Chinese, many of whom are racially and culturally intermixed. The total population is estimated at 40% black, 40.3% East Indian, 18% mixed, 0.6% white, and 1.2% Chinese and other. Tobago is predominantly black.

While blacks and East Indians on Trinidad are economically interdependent, each community retains its cultural individuality: this is a life that has been called coexistence without assimilation. Intermarriage is rare, and facial and other bodily characteristics still separate the two groups, as do occupation, diet, religion, residence, agricultural landscape, sometimes dress, and often politics. Blacks are dominant in the urban areas, in the oil fields, in the poorer agricultural areas of the north, east, and southeast, and on Tobago. East Indians are dominant in the best agricultural regions. Although outnumbered in Port-of-Spain and San Fernando, urban East Indians are apt to be economically better off than the urban blacks and tend to be highly involved in commerce, industry, and the professions.

Read more: Ethnic groups - Trinidad and Tobago Ethnic groups - Trinidad and Tobago

How true is this?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ssoj4eva View Post
    I don't know much about Trinidad and Tobago from personal experience but it appeared to be a melting pot of culture to me. However I read this:

The population is mainly comprised of blacks (the descendants of former slaves), East Indians (originally brought to the island as contract laborers from northern India), whites, and Chinese, many of whom are racially and culturally intermixed. The total population is estimated at 40% black, 40.3% East Indian, 18% mixed, 0.6% white, and 1.2% Chinese and other. Tobago is predominantly black.

While blacks and East Indians on Trinidad are economically interdependent, each community retains its cultural individuality: this is a life that has been called coexistence without assimilation. Intermarriage is rare, and facial and other bodily characteristics still separate the two groups, as do occupation, diet, religion, residence, agricultural landscape, sometimes dress, and often politics. Blacks are dominant in the urban areas, in the oil fields, in the poorer agricultural areas of the north, east, and southeast, and on Tobago. East Indians are dominant in the best agricultural regions. Although outnumbered in Port-of-Spain and San Fernando, urban East Indians are apt to be economically better off than the urban blacks and tend to be highly involved in commerce, industry, and the professions.

Read more: Ethnic groups - Trinidad and Tobago Ethnic groups - Trinidad and Tobago

How true is this?
    Honestly, i love black men, so i does forget bout dis stigma...until i go to a indian place with my BF...then we get all the looks and crap...

Credits
    i am a dougla (indian/black') so i would say that each group does retain its culture.. indo-trinis more than any other group, to the point of listening to hindu songs and having a hindi radio station .. and if there is a grouse in the public about not gettin money or being discriminated against.. 9 out of 10 it is an indo-trini group.. just how it is.. almost to the point of being indian first, trinidadian after...

but for the most part, all groups intermingle...
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    afro trini culture is slowly dissapearing....truss meh

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniminx View Post
    Honestly, i love black men, so i does forget bout dis stigma...until i go to a indian place with my BF...then we get all the looks and crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    i am a dougla (indian/black') so i would say that each group does retain its culture.. indo-trinis more than any other group, to the point of listening to hindu songs and having a hindi radio station .. and if there is a grouse in the public about not gettin money or being discriminated against.. 9 out of 10 it is an indo-trini group.. just how it is.. almost to the point of being indian first, trinidadian after...

but for the most part, all groups intermingle...
    ok why is it mainly the indo-trinis? - I can understand the desire to preserve culture but haven't times changed? Aren't they settled?

Down di road, ova di gully, pass di big tree
    Credits
    why yuh say that BK? I neva been to tnt to enlighten me...

I hear in Guyana they worse. A couple of my GT friends say certain places don't make night catch you there or don't go there alone.
    Disclaimer:
    Many of you can't keep Jamaica outa yuh mouth. Its ok, we understand you can't help it. Envy is a helluva thing. But let it be known. If you've never been to mi yawd your comments about mi yawd shall hereby be stricken as nuttin but verbal defecation. Walk good.

Yes I am a superhero. Sarcasm is my superpower.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamrock_Boi25 View Post
    why yuh say that BK? I neva been to tnt to enlighten me...

I hear in Guyana they worse. A couple of my GT friends say certain places don't make night catch you there or don't go there alone.
    de island is full a douglas, and indians, in trinidad it kinda rare 2 find a full black family...tobago is a different story tho. u could see it in the people too, bere brownskin and lite skin ppl,

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ssoj4eva View Post
    ok why is it mainly the indo-trinis? - I can understand the desire to preserve culture but haven't times changed? Aren't they settled?
    like u said, its the desire to preserve the culture...Trinidad was once prodominently indian and Hindu, its like every other race..who doesn't think they better?? U know, the first forum i joined, this chic automatically assumed that i was black when i said i was Trini...and i couldn't believe that i had to specifically identify myself as an indian Trini! lol For the first time in my life and i was like "wow, i guess she has a point "...My older sister married a haitian guy and my mom like cut her off and shyt, when i was young, it was just crazy to me, i didn't get it..

Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by bouyon king View Post
    de island is full a douglas, and indians, in trinidad it kinda rare 2 find a full black family...tobago is a different story tho. u could see it in the people too, bere brownskin and lite skin ppl,
    you talking nonsense..

Links30
    So let me guest, some white foreigner made a trip to then come back and talk about racial class system in the country? Why? Everyone is trinbagonians. I just doe see the sense is trying to say u dougla u black u dis dey in this better position n ah whole setta shit. How the hell can two major groups, only one is doing well off? Is wah kinna shit is dat?

Is like dem does forget is who running de country.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant View Post
    you talking nonsense..
    sure...every family mix wit a kinda sumting dawg....if u doh believe dat den u is full a shit, only de badman areas like laventille is predominantly full of black families

Gladiator
    The article said "each community retains it culrtural identity" LOL..so someone tell me what is the cultural identity of San Fernando, San Juan or Princes Town ??...

Links30
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniminx View Post
    like u said, its the desire to preserve the culture...Trinidad was once prodominently indian and Hindu, its like every other race..who doesn't think they better?? U know, the first forum i joined, this chic automatically assumed that i was black when i said i was Trini...and i couldn't believe that i had to specifically identify myself as an indian Trini! lol For the first time in my life and i was like "wow, i guess she has a point "...My older sister married a haitian guy and my mom like cut her off and shyt, when i was young, it was just crazy to me, i didn't get it..
    Trinidad was prominently Indian and Hindu? really? When was this?

Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by bouyon king View Post
    sure...every family mix wit a kinda sumting....if u doh believe dat den u is full a shit, only de badman areas like laventille is predominantly full of black families
    again this proves how much you dont know anything...I born and grew up in Trini, visited there often and family there..also visited most of my country so no need to be "full of shie" of where I'm from,,

Links30
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant View Post
    The article said "each community retains it culrtural identity" LOL..so someone tell me what is the cultural identity of San Fernando, San Juan or Princes Town ??...
    To be honest, i find the article to be pure shit.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast