Thread: What Is The Real Meaning Of Valentine's Day

Credits

What Is The Real Meaning Of Valentine's Day

FOR REAL IF EVERYDAY YOU SUPPOSE TO SHOW LOVE, WHY DOES EVERYONE MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL ON THIS ONE DAY (INCLUDING MYSELF) RUN OUT AND BUY ONE SET OF CARDS, AND GIFTS?

STICKMAN
    because we all have been fooled by modern day capitalism... they make these days to move merchandise and to get us to spend money

Credits
    Originally posted by STICKMAN
    because we all have been fooled by modern day capitalism... they make these days to move merchandise and to get us to spend money
    Exactly, that's why I don't celebrate Valentine's Day. Xmas is already commercialized enough.

Credits
    I agree! Like Christmas for instance. Some kids don't even know it's to celebrate Jesus. They think it's all about that big fat man in red giving presents. The funny thing is I celebrate all of these things so I guess I'm not really fooled by modern day capitalism but I practice it. Why? I don't know. I guess I enjoy it. In fact I had a big fat 6 foot tall lit up Santa hanging on my window. As far as Valentines day I don't know what it's supposed to be but I also enjoy getting and giving stuff then, even though I think it's a stupid holiday.

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits

I don't really celebrate Valentine's either

Because the love I have for my family, friends, and significant other is said to them almost everyday and expressed to them in ways one day wouldn't seem so important to them. All these holidays are commercialized for the people to spend $ on what things that can be eaten and thrown away. LOVE is within and a 1 day shouldn't express that!

Credits

Re: I don't really celebrate Valentine's either

Originally posted by empressedu
    Because the love I have for my family, friends, and significant other is said to them almost everyday and expressed to them in ways one day wouldn't seem so important to them. All these holidays are commercialized for the people to spend $ on what things that can be eaten and thrown away. LOVE is within and a 1 day shouldn't express that!
    ur absolutely right.... plus i dont have a date so i wasnt even thinking about valentines day on friday... i was more worried about how much snow going to fall and if its going to cancel my plans for partying this weekend.........stteuupppssssssss

Credits
    Originally posted by doubledimps
    ur absolutely right.... plus i dont have a date so i wasnt even thinking about valentines day on friday... i was more worried about how much snow going to fall and if its going to cancel my plans for partying this weekend.........stteuupppssssssss
    I agree 100 % with both of you. Double dimps i am worried about the same thing

STICKMAN
    lol.. now i didnt call for a rebellion against all holidays... Truth is, every holiday has been turned into a circus by modern day capitalism. Easter for example... Since when does bunny rabbits, chocolate eggs and stepping outside your house in the latest gear signify Jesus Christ rising from the dead.
    Halloween again we see another example of companies using someones belief to move merchandise...
    Christmas the same thing, this day makes or breaks the economy and the true meaning is lost...
    Valentines Day
    Mothers Day
    Fathers Day
    our individual birthdays
    it goes on and on...
    So to say we are going to give up on these days is not possible
    Honestly we should show our love every day of the year but truth is we don't, we are too preoccupied with careers, school, TV, Islandmix, and greed and materialism... So a day dedicated to doing just that, showing our love to one another is necessary....
    Me for example, i have not told my parents i loved them since they used to drop me off at kindergarden and all my significant others i have said those three words too in my lifetime, i really did not mean it but the ones i really felt that way about i never told them... Maybe Valentines day is not such a bad idea when you look at from that way... i mean you dont have to let the retailers dictate how you should show love but maybe a day to express your feelings is needed...

Credits
    Birthdays, Xmas, Mother's Day and Father's Day. All other money-sucking holidays, I don't acknowledge.