Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT MAKE US UNIQUELY WEST INDIANS OR 'CARIBBEANiTES'

Credits

WHAT MAKE US UNIQUELY WEST INDIANS OR 'CARIBBEANiTES'

TAWK YuH TAWK

Credits
    Our accents, our upbringings, ways of life, hospitality, and unity as compared to other countries.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSocaGyal View Post
    Our accents, our upbringings, ways of life, hospitality, and unity as compared to other countries.
    This is a GOOD START, but since a STRANGER is a FOREIGNER to these NATIONS and PEOPLE, give me some EXAMPLES to SUPPORT the words that you have STATED.

YUHHHHHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    This is a GOOD START, but since a STRANGER is a FOREIGNER to these NATIONS and PEOPLE, give me some EXAMPLES to SUPPORT the words that you have STATED.

YUHHHHHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee
    Examples? Okay....:
    1) Our accents - how we does talk. Each island's dialect and/or language is different. Most visitors can't understand ah lick ah wha we saying unless we yank/speak American.

2) How we was raised/brought up differs from other countries. We were brought up to have the utmost respect for those that are older than you, when you walk into a store/office/business you must give a greeting (good morning/day/night), as children we only speak when spoken to, we learned the importance of family, ect....
    3) Our ways of life is pretty much laid-back and easygoing. Commuting isn't as hectic here in the Caribbean as it is in the states. We take it one day at a time and let whatever happens happen; we try not to sweat the small stuff. I'm not saying we're a bunch of lazy good-for-nothings; what I'm saying is we take it easy...

Credits
    4) For those of us who have to meet different foreigners every day, we have to make sure that their experience with our island is next to perfect. That's where hospitality comes in. I know I wouldn't want someone to come here, get bad treatment or have a bad experience, and then go back home to blog about it to any website that would listen. That makes the island look bad. So we does make sure that they are well catered to, we be as pleasant as humanly possible, until they are sick of all the niceness.

I forgot to mention local foods/cuisine as something that sets us apart from other countries. We all basically make the same foods (give or take a few); each island just have different names for them, ex. what is Palau to T&T is rice-n-chicken to us VIslanders....

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSocaGyal View Post
    4) For those of us who have to meet different foreigners every day, we have to make sure that their experience with our island is next to perfect. That's where hospitality comes in. I know I wouldn't want someone to come here, get bad treatment or have a bad experience, and then go back home to blog about it to any website that would listen. That makes the island look bad. So we does make sure that they are well catered to, we be as pleasant as humanly possible, until they are sick of all the niceness.

I forgot to mention local foods/cuisine as something that sets us apart from other countries. We all basically make the same foods (give or take a few); each island just have different names for them, ex. what is Palau to T&T is rice-n-chicken to us VIslanders....
    I should POST this to VINCY BLOG, because the OPPOSITION PARTY in VINCYLAND NEEDS to GRASP this FACT.

Toppa_Toppa
    Crix.

Credits
    Several things:

Cuisine - How many Americans do you know eat the following on a regular: roasted breadfruit, callaloo, pepperpot, ackee and saltfish, griot with some du riz a pois, oil-down, mountain chicken, cou-cou, pelau etc???

Sports - When it comes to the Anglophone Caribbean, sports like football and cricket are popular, while the average American has never even heard of Cricket, and most likely refers to Football as Soccer and has never even watched/played a game in their life. Plus if you tell dem "leh we go and sweat"...would they have any clue as to what you are talking about?

Biodiversity - Our region contains about 8% of the world's coral reefs along with extensive seagrass meadows...hmmm I wonder why seamoss is a poular drink...think about it, even our surroundings affect our way of life. Even down to the climate, it's been proven that the temperature/weather/ambiance can greatly affect people's moods and choices.

Music - Need I say more?

Family Values - Families in the Caribbean may not always get along, but there is a level of respect that is always present that you just don't really see among American families as much. How many of you ever get licks with a guava whip or a leather belt for getting outta line?...in America parents fraid to discipline their children cause people will call social services on dem...so plenty kids abroad grow up rebellious and flat out disrespectful. West Indian families seem more strict, but at the same time they seem closer to one another and they put family before anything.

National Pride - To me it seems like for the most part in the Caribbean people have national pride naturally, West Indians living in any other part of the world will make themselves known or at least have a banner or flag in dey car. Americans never did dat until 9/11 happened and then they were selling those tacky clip-on flags at every corner for $5...so damn near every car on the road had one. But it's sad that something like 9/11 had to happen for Americans to wake up and all of a sudden be shouting: "God Bless America!!" every two seconds. A few months later, that shit died out anyways. Go figure.

There's many other points I could put across, but I'll leave it at dat.

Credits
    [/QUOTE]National Pride - To me it seems like for the most part in the Caribbean people have national pride naturally, West Indians living in any other part of the world will make themselves known or at least have a banner or flag in dey car. Americans never did dat until 9/11 happened and then they were selling those tacky clip-on flags at every corner for $5...so damn near every car on the road had one. But it's sad that something like 9/11 had to happen for Americans to wake up and all of a sudden be shouting: "God Bless America!!" every two seconds. A few months later, that shit died out anyways. Go figure.[/B]

[/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]
    you are wrong here, americans always been some of de most patriotic ppl in de world. every island want be yardie, and yardies wanna be yankee.. go trinidad and guyana etc and see how dem have gaza and gully..but when it comes down to it yardie are de trend setters still, and moretimes dem a de only 1s who keep de ting jamaican. haitians hol a 2nd place stil
    Last edited by MR.BOOMBASTIC; 03-17-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Credits
    National Pride - To me it seems like for the most part in the Caribbean people have national pride naturally, West Indians living in any other part of the world will make themselves known or at least have a banner or flag in dey car. Americans never did dat until 9/11 happened and then they were selling those tacky clip-on flags at every corner for $5...so damn near every car on the road had one. But it's sad that something like 9/11 had to happen for Americans to wake up and all of a sudden be shouting: "God Bless America!!" every two seconds. A few months later, that shit died out anyways. Go figure.[/B]

[/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]
    you are wrong here, americans always been some of de most patriotic ppl in de world. every island want be yardie, and yardies wanna be yankee.. go trinidad and guyana etc and see how dem have gaza and gully[/QUOTE]

Agreed. West Indians always have superiority complexes when it comes to each other, but inferiority complexes when it comes to America or UK

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.BOOMBASTIC View Post
    you are wrong here, americans always been some of de most patriotic ppl in de world. every island want be yardie, and yardies wanna be yankee.. go trinidad and guyana etc and see how dem have gaza and gully
    Man, the average American can't even find Washington DC on a map, don't give me dat...Here's the difference, Americans are patriotic at a convenience or on certain occasions (4th of July, remembering 9/11, thanksgiving etc)...but every other day is just wake up, go to work, come home, sleep...get up the next day and do the same shit all over again, they don't really care about being American until some international event going on and all of a sudden they want to chant: "U.S.A.!!! ; U.S.A!!!"

An American more patriotic than a Jamaican? never...more patriotic than a Trini? don't make me laugh. Dem people is patriotic every day of the week. The Jamaican trend you talk about in the eastern Caribbean is a musical preference...dem still proud and feel strong ties to anything dealin up wid their countries.
    Last edited by Curry Crab n Dumplin; 03-17-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Curry Crab n Dumplin View Post
    Man, the average American can't even find Washington DC on a map, don't give me dat...Here's the difference, Americans are patriotic at a convenience or on certain occasions (4th of July, remembering 9/11, thanksgiving etc)...but every other day is just wake up, go to work, come home, sleep...get up the next day and do the same shit all over again, they don't really care about being American until some international event going on and all of a sudden they want to chant: "U.S.A.!!! ; U.S.A!!!"

An American more patriotic than a Jamaican? never...more patriotic than a Trini? don't make me laugh. Dem people is patriotic every day of the week. The Jamaican trend you talk about in the eastern Caribbean is a musical preference...dem still proud and feel strong ties to anything dealin up wid their countries.
    ur fukked...americans are the most patriotic ppl in the world, anytime of the year...and yes even more so than yardies, jamaicans are more influenced by american culture

Credits

An American more patriotic than a Jamaican? never...more patriotic than a Trini? don't make me laugh. Dem people is patriotic every day of the week.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously, my generation (under 25) has been SERIOUSLY Americanised, there is a strong inferiority complex when it comes to West Indian people and the United States.

Americans, even when they not flying their flag 24/7, they dont follow NOBODY. They're so insular and self absorbed they can't find their neighbouring state on a map, but at the same time you can't convince the average american that his country isn't the best at everything. Caribbean people think we're better than other caribbean people but look how many of us does yank and model or lives on material gains we see in AMERICAN media. The values you USED to see in caribbean people have been replaced by materialism and ignorance in recent years. Why you think crime is so bad? Why you think we got youts here talkin bout "ma ####################s" and "ma hood"? Straight ignorance and self hate.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously, my generation (under 25) has been SERIOUSLY Americanised, there is a strong inferiority complex when it comes to West Indian people and the United States.

Americans, even when they not flying their flag 24/7, they dont follow NOBODY. They're so insular and self absorbed they can't find their neighbouring state on a map, but at the same time you can't convince the average american that his country isn't the best at everything. Caribbean people think we're better than other caribbean people but look how many of us does yank and model or lives on material gains we see in AMERICAN media. The values you USED to see in caribbean people have been replaced by materialism and ignorance in recent years. Why you think crime is so bad? Why you think we got youts here talkin bout "ma ####################s" and "ma hood"? Straight ignorance and self hate.
    You make some excellent points, and it's sad to hear that side of the story...for the most part I was under the impression dat Caribbean people were so proud and into their countries and everything.

I will say this though, the thing you said about Americans only knowing about their own culture and thinking they are the best thing since fried bake is just simply their lack of education as far as other cultures, Americans live in their own little bubble, I wouldn't call the pride, I'd call that ignorance. But I agree with everything else you say...

Credits
    You make some excellent points, and it's sad to hear that side of the story...for the most part I was under the impression dat Caribbean people were so proud and into their countries and everything.

I will say this though, the thing you said about Americans only knowing about their own culture and thinking they are the best thing since fried bake is just simply their lack of education as far as other cultures, Americans live in their own little bubble, I wouldn't call the pride, I'd call that ignorance. But I agree with everything else you say...
    It's a willfull ignorance, most Americans honestly do not want to go outside of their own little world and understand other people. Why do you think only 20% of Americans own passports?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast