Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What the eff is wrong with some servers in Caribbean Restaurants in NY?????

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Namey Namey View Post
    The image that you are showing is a liver dish, with steamed vegetables, which is a side dish. Ackee & salt fish is not considered a side dish, liver is not considered a side dish. Those are the main part of two separate meals. Unfortunately you did not go to a restaurant that breaks down every portion of a meal, and price them separately. Mcdonalds, burger king, wendy's does that, and maybe some other restaurants that i don't know about.

Lets say mcdonalds didn't break down every portion of a meal separately. You order a big mac meal, asked them to take away the fries, and replace it with a double cheese burger. The cashier would tell you it doesn't work that way, or try to come up with a price where the restaurant doesn't lose. There are restaurants where they price your food by weight, so you can mix and match any concoction you please.

Not saying that there aren't any Caribbean restaurants that doesn't have crappy service. Just saying this might be a case where you didn't understand how things work. The last place I would take advise about patronizing a business is an internet forum. The amount of ignorant people that come on these sites, is enough for me to say I will experience it on my own.

A lot of time people go into the places with bad attitudes, and complain about the service they get back. I do understand that if you own a business, you would want your employees to try their best to keep it professional at all times.

I personally haven't experienced crappy service quite often, crappy food is another issue. I have been in restaurant where I see servers with attitudes, mainly it's towards people who are not from the Caribbean. They come in the restaurant, obviously it's the first time they are trying Caribbean food. They look around and start making up there face because they see something that's a little too exotic. The server/order takers become annoyed, I do agree that the server should try their best to stay professional.

I have been to non Caribbean restaurants, where the server has an attitude. Mainly towards people who are obviously not used dining anywhere except for McDonalds. I always show a little bit of class where ever I go, I rarely run into any problems.
    I totally understand everything you just said.
    You are saying there is a Caribbean Restaurant, they make the dishes, they offer a combo at a reasonable price. You place your order. They package it for you and you pay them. Done

I know what is in the pictures I posted and what you said about two different dishes.
    They are not meant to go together as a meal like what I ordered

I just wanted two things and I was willing to pay them for my breakfast.
    I am always respectful and nice when I enter any restaurant greeting with a smile and say Good morning or Good evening.

I too don't experience a lot of crappy service. That is why I said to people in this thread to say not say bad service is across the board. But I also said to not to tolerate bad service. More like reasoning with them to talk to a fellow human better somehow. Glad you are courteous and experienced mostly good service. I know how our people are. Most of us are generally nice people
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    Thank you sometimes ppl take the customer service thing too far. some restaurants they don't allow you to substitute swap etc do you then say they're horrible simple because you didn't get what you want?

Respect goes both ways . TriniTrini you mad at them - i don't care if my order is unique, don't question what I want! figure out a price and give me my things!
    Seriously think about it, how does that attitude sound? You may have kept it in while addressing the server but what you put on here is what you truly felt.

I'm saying at least he tried to cater to you and I stand by what I said, honestly it doesn't sound as bad as you make it out to be and NO this is not a case of me being a WI and being given bad service so often i expect it to be the norm.
    I never said they are horrible Taj.

Maybe the way I express myself is in response to all the people who have to act like I am asking such a overly strange thing when I place a unique order.

Taj I don't like to embarrass people or talk down to them unless necessary. I would have never done that to that man. I was just kinda annoyed internally due to just last week I asked for one thing and somebody telling me today is not Powerball. I never asked her what today is. I simply wanted to pay for what I want and go which was powerball. I didn't even ask what game is available today or sounded wishy washy.

Bottomline like I said: This thread is not make a big deal about someone trying to get me to stick to a script.

I already said this thread is also to make the following points:

1) A number of servers are indeed rude to customers

2) Some people expect you to always stick to a script so I believe they should try to honor reasonable unique requests.

3) Don't tolerate bad service. Don't try to fix it with a war or words or cuss but try to reason with them or speak to the manager if that does not work.

What does my avatar say?: "Unique woman"

I truly felt that way that I simply wanted him to grant my request, please give me a price. I was not rude about it.
    Is that so wrong? To passionately feel a certain way?

Yes he catered to me but he was gruff and hesitant in the beginning.
    I am not trying to make it as an extremely awful experience.
    Where did I make it like that?

Please don't misunderstand me Taj.
    I said it before I am passionate about almost everything I do.
    Last edited by TriniTrini; 02-21-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Taj
    Credits
    Trini you sayin you en dig no horrors but when I come into a thread titled "what the eff...." and "just give me my friggin stews" I don't think I'm crazy to think the situation did put you off and get you frustrated. Also when i think about how you usually type its obvious you were displeased and came away thinking you got bad/horrible service from and unhelpful person.
    As much as you want to address those things you listed in bold and enlarged font linking it with the incident that happened to you isn't that effective IMO. I get your bigger point BUT you made the thread primarily about the incident.
    I also feel you so annoyed you didn't get things how you asked for them all of a sudden the man was too gruff with you, he questioning you about your request too much. Yet I feel you not realizing not everything is meant to be the unique way you want it. I feel this thread is you making the incident into a big deal thats why i made the comment before about it seemingly unsettling you mental calm.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    At the end of the day, no restaurant should or wants to turn away money.

If they are serious business minded people they will make it work, and grant the costumer their needs for their $.

The point of the whole matter to me is, Just have some decency when serving people. A good vibe/spirit is beneficial to any business, you don't want any negativity inside your establishment cause it will only drive people away. PLUS you don't want no bad vibe over your food you about to digest inside of your body. That is the main thing for me, keep dem sour people home and away from food!!!!!

Trust, they will loose a lot if business. But, because most of us don't write/address and complain their concerns to the BBB, these local establishments does get away with it.

lmaoooo you ever notice how Golden Krust in the city does come correct.
    Imagine having to explain to white folks allll dayyyy long, about what is what, and how what does taste. They have to smile and do their Job.
    Marcus Garvey said you would not know yourself till your back is against the wall. It gone through the wall now.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Namey Namey View Post
    The image that you are showing is a liver dish, with steamed vegetables, which is a side dish. Ackee & salt fish is not considered a side dish, liver is not considered a side dish. Those are the main part of two separate meals. Unfortunately you did not go to a restaurant that breaks down every portion of a meal, and price them separately. Mcdonalds, burger king, wendy's does that, and maybe some other restaurants that i don't know about.

Lets say mcdonalds didn't break down every portion of a meal separately. You order a big mac meal, asked them to take away the fries, and replace it with a double cheese burger. The cashier would tell you it doesn't work that way, or try to come up with a price where the restaurant doesn't lose. There are restaurants where they price your food by weight, so you can mix and match any concoction you please.

Not saying that there aren't any Caribbean restaurants that doesn't have crappy service. Just saying this might be a case where you didn't understand how things work. The last place I would take advise about patronizing a business is an internet forum. The amount of ignorant people that come on these sites, is enough for me to say I will experience it on my own.

A lot of time people go into the places with bad attitudes, and complain about the service they get back. I do understand that if you own a business, you would want your employees to try their best to keep it professional at all times.

I personally haven't experienced crappy service quite often, crappy food is another issue. I have been in restaurant where I see servers with attitudes, mainly it's towards people who are not from the Caribbean. They come in the restaurant, obviously it's the first time they are trying Caribbean food. They look around and start making up there face because they see something that's a little too exotic. The server/order takers become annoyed, I do agree that the server should try their best to stay professional.

I have been to non Caribbean restaurants, where the server has an attitude. Mainly towards people who are obviously not used dining anywhere except for McDonalds. I always show a little bit of class where ever I go, I rarely run into any problems.
    Most of these restaurants do break down the meals, but people try and substitute the side orders with meat and expect the same price. That's why her small meal came up so expensive. That size order usually goes for 5 to 6 bucks with side order. Meat and ackee is expensive.
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend- Arabic proverb

Credits
    From my experience as both a customer and a restaurant manager, it is perfectly normal for a customer to request food items how they want it, even if it's not placed on the menu in the way they want it.

Hell I've had people order items that are not on the menu.

For those small family run restaurants like what Trini is talking about, it should be even easier to customize, since they don't have that corporate machine behind them, dictating their do's and don'ts.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

LB
    Credits
    Customer Service needs to be taught. No one can assume that anyone black white or other knows how to deal with the public just off the bat without instruction. So at the end of the day if the service is bad, I mention it to management because its more their responsibility to train staff properly than it is the person I am actually dealing with. That's why working at large corporations like McDonalds where they do systematically teach kids how to handle different situations actually is benefical.
    Perhaps we had to be there to see the rudeness the person gave off but my first impression of their reaction was that they may not have had the power or the ability to perhaps mix and match prices and it was uncomfortable or not ease for them to know what price to come up with to deal with a special request.
    Its not so easy to do especially if u are a low level employee and management doesnt give u the authority to do so. Management does need to grant that power to front counter employees and not every business is willing to do so. I've seen this time and time again, and it leave a business with employees who dont know how to think outside the box or be positively reactive to a situation.

So no none of this excuses poor customer service etc. but I do see why some people especially younger kids fail miserably because they have never been trained to handle different types of people, requests or situations. If its really that bad for me, I will say something to management. If they dont care, then I dont take it on 'cause there are enough decent establishments to spend my money at.
    "Twats you people be" - Chinks

"Don't try to win over the haters, you're not the jackass whisperer."

Some people get you and some people don’t, and to spend your life trying to make people understand how deep and complex and varied you are — I think that way lies madness - K. Blanchett

"The leopard's stealthy gait is not a result of cowardice; it is simply stalking a prey." (Do not mistake people's gentle nature for spinelessness) - Yoruba Proverb

Credits
    Trini you sayin you en dig no horrors but when I come into a thread titled "what the eff...." and "just give me my friggin stews" I don't think I'm crazy to think the situation did put you off and get you frustrated. Also when i think about how you usually type its obvious you were displeased and came away thinking you got bad/horrible service from and unhelpful person.
    As much as you want to address those things you listed in bold and enlarged font linking it with the incident that happened to you isn't that effective IMO. I get your bigger point BUT you made the thread primarily about the incident.
    I also feel you so annoyed you didn't get things how you asked for them all of a sudden the man was too gruff with you, he questioning you about your request too much. Yet I feel you not realizing not everything is meant to be the unique way you want it. I feel this thread is you making the incident into a big deal thats why i made the comment before about it seemingly unsettling you mental calm.

Taj,

This is what I lead off with in the first post:
    What the eff is with the attitude from a lot of them?
    What the eff is with trying to conform to what goes with what?
    Even branches bend!

The conversation is a sample representing the second line:

I also gave other examples of people trying to conform to what I want.
    I am not a baby throwing a fit. I want it. I want it. It is a simple incident but a big issue faced by a number of people. People have often tried to make people feel like they must follow certain rules always.

I am simply passionately expressing in Trini wording in some of this that I refuse to always follow fashion. I am smart enough that the world is not my oyster to do as I please, to get what I please.

I am simply saying that out of all the time I behave like a good citizen, made sure to follow social rules, and behaviors which I often uphold and respect... just maybe, just maybe I might want certain things how I want it to be.

Just maybe I could try to gain the right to think outside the box and fill my needs.

Today I feel frustration that more than one islandmixer can't fully grasp what I am trying to say after all the typing I did. I suck at explanations I guess.

Today as I think about various experiences after talking with you I feel some semblance of frustration that there are people who have interacted with me outside of this site and by words or action attempt to make me feel that no you can't do this when yes I can and I did. I have earned this right after years of being shy to state my views.
    Last edited by TriniTrini; 02-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    Taj,

This is what I lead off with in the first post:
    What the eff is with the attitude from a lot of them?
    Even branches bend!

The conversation is a sample representing the second line:

I also gave other examples of people trying to conform to what I want.
    I am not a baby throwing a fit. I want it. I want it. It is a simple incident but a big issue faced by a number of people. People have often tried to make people feel like they must follow certain rules always.

I am simply passionately expressing in Trini wording in some of this that I refuse to always follow fashion. I am smart enough that the world is not my oyster to do as I please, to get what I please.

I am simply saying that out of all the time I behave like a good citizen, made sure to follow social rules, and behaviors which I often uphold and respect... just maybe, just maybe I might want certain things how I want it to be.

Just maybe I could try to gain the right to think outside the box and fill my needs.

Today I feel frustration that more than one islandmixer can't fully grasp what I am trying to say after all the typing I did. I suck at explanations I guess.

Today as I think about various experiences after talking with you I feel some semblance of frustration that there are people who have interacted with me outside of this site and by words or action attempt to make me feel that no you can't do this when yes I can and I did. I have earned this right after years of being shy to state my views.
    no you're explaining fine, I just don't agree. It's gonna be that way sometimes and thats okay too.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Audree View Post
    At the end of the day, no restaurant should or wants to turn away money.

If they are serious business minded people they will make it work, and grant the costumer their needs for their $.

The point of the whole matter to me is, Just have some decency when serving people. A good vibe/spirit is beneficial to any business, you don't want any negativity inside your establishment cause it will only drive people away. PLUS you don't want no bad vibe over your food you about to digest inside of your body. That is the main thing for me, keep dem sour people home and away from food!!!!!

Trust, they will loose a lot if business. But, because most of us don't write/address and complain their concerns to the BBB, these local establishments does get away with it.

lmaoooo you ever notice how Golden Krust in the city does come correct.
    Imagine having to explain to white folks allll dayyyy long, about what is what, and how what does taste. They have to smile and do their Job.
    the point of the matter is that some customers are never satisfied.

Credits
    no you're explaining fine, I just don't agree. It's gonna be that way sometimes and thats okay too.
    Whew... I still don't think you do to some degree but thanks for the chat.

I agree it is ok if two people disagree and I truly respect your point of view.

Now madam leh we go pay attention to we culture nah on ctntworld nah I think I met my typing quota for this thread lol

T-MAKAA

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Missmayling View Post
    the point of the matter is that some customers are never satisfied.
    I agree. I see some people get on real stink and the server eh deserve that.
    The server did not do anything.

I respect the hard working servers and people in small restaurants regardless of attitude. Some people are a real trip and some servers are able to let it faze them.

This is why I love when restaurants have a tip jar so I can tip them just for the hell of it but mostly for being served. Most are good servers and take me back home with their accents.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAKAA View Post
    Have a good day young man.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    I agree. I see some people get on real stink and the server eh deserve that.
    The server did not do anything.

I respect the hard working servers and people in small restaurants regardless of attitude. Some people are a real trip and some servers are able to let it faze them.

This is why I love when restaurants have a tip jar so I can tip them just for the hell of it but mostly for being served. Most are good servers and take me back home with their accents.
    It must be the true that it is better to do business with other ethnicities than your own kind. Are you serious?? you tried to get over in a Jamaican restaurant, and they charged you extra. That's like ordering Oxtail, curry goat and stew chicken combo, and expect to pay the regular price for a small meal. You had no intentions of paying extra, because you didn't have the money on you to do so.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast