Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What do you tell someone who says they are Jamaican and West Indian?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by brownilus View Post
    indians in jamaica have all kinds of names.
    And how you laughing at him when you just pulled the same stunt? You said in this thread likkle while that you are 25% indian...and you look fully black.

We would be wrong to laugh you to scorn, right? So mek di man have him heritage.
    my point is that i dont say im indian with vincentian descent...i say im black period.
    before you work on artificial intelligence why don't you do something about natural stupidity?

Instagram: vivaa_b

MZ. VIVAA LA'BEAUTEE
    http://www.facebook.com/VivaaEntertainment

FOLLOW ME @VIVAA_B
    YOUTUBE.COM/EMPRESSPRIA
    >SWQ SOCA DEMON<

iamvivaa@gmail.com

add JULIANS PROMOS on fb!!
    https://www.facebook.com/JulianspromosFanpage

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYSHENNY View Post
    my point is that i dont say im indian with vincentian descent...i say im black period.
    Then where did i get it from that you 25% indian?

lol I think he is trying to impress somebody (you )

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by brownilus View Post
    then where did i get it from that you 25% indian?

Lol i think he is trying to impress somebody (you )
    i am 25% indian but i wudnt go around proclaiming to be full indian when i know im mostly black...if i was 50% then i wud say im c o o l i e lol

idk who he trying to impress with such an obvious lie smh lol
    before you work on artificial intelligence why don't you do something about natural stupidity?

Instagram: vivaa_b

MZ. VIVAA LA'BEAUTEE
    http://www.facebook.com/VivaaEntertainment

FOLLOW ME @VIVAA_B
    YOUTUBE.COM/EMPRESSPRIA
    >SWQ SOCA DEMON<

iamvivaa@gmail.com

add JULIANS PROMOS on fb!!
    https://www.facebook.com/JulianspromosFanpage

Registered User small_island_descent's Avatar small_island_descent is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    The only reason Haitian integrate so well into Dominica's society is because they're simply going from one créole-speaking country to another one. On the other end of the spectrum, look how poorly integrated Haitians are in the Bahamas.

As for Dominicans & Puerto Ricans relating more to Central Americans, that couldn't be further from the truth. You rarely see people from the Spanish-Caribbean moving to mainland Latin America, with the exception of educational reasons, most Spanish Caribbean people who don't go to the states end up in other English-Speaking nations, and even French and Dutch speaking islands as well. Places like St Thomas, St Croix, St Maarten, Curaçao and Aruba have thousands of immigrants from the Dominican Republic, meanwhile no Spanish speaking country other than Puerto Rico and perhaps Panama can say the same.

Maybe I'm biased because I have a Dominican/Haitian mother and a Kittitian father, and happened to be born in St Thomas lol...but from my perspective Dominicans who still live in the Caribbean rarely have anything to do with mainland Latinos. Of course, this changes when they move to the states lol.

People from the Spanish and French speaking Caribbean have much more in common with each other than with anyone else, so you can't really say who relates more to whom since its never really that cut and dry. When you really get down to it, there ain't much difference between Spanish, French, English and Dutch caribbean people aside from language. Our music is similar, many of our traditions are similar, and much of our lifestyle is similar. 75% of the food you'll find in a Haitian restaurant you'll see in a Dominican one. My Kittitian aunts and cousins use the same bush teas that my Dominicans and Haitian aunts do.
    It's true about Haitians in the Bahamas but I could say the same for the Dominican Republic. I'd be surprised if anyone treats Haitians worse that people from the DR do. Still, Haitians are able to relate with other islanders and I think we both agree that relate best with islanders from french creole Caribbean nations.

Also, you are right about people from DR moving to English speaking countries (there are a ton of them in Antigua) but I'm not sure if that has to do with them being able to relate to us more than mainland latinos. It could be that these islands have better economies, better opportunities and are willing to let these immigrants in. I do agree that all and all, we aren't so different. There are differences, of course, but there are similarities.

I've never met a person with Haitian, Dominican and Kittitian roots before. That's new. lol.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post

I think is generally the ones born here (so, technically, Americans) that do that (with the Jamaican and black or Jamaican and whatever)
    ...More time they trying to show they have some connection to the caribbean, to show some kind of common ground with you. Cause I"m not sure, but i doubt they ID themselves that way to fellow americans. I don't think they realize how it comes across in reality else they would stop it (i hope).

OP is talking about an actual Jamaican (or an american of Ja descent who is pretending to be Jamaican!). I would understand the meaning but it sound ignorant, cause every Jamaican I ever encountered says they are Jamaican, not Something-HYPHEN-Jamaican, and not Jamaican-AND-Something. Only other specifics we DO tend to get hung up on is what part of Ja you from, and if a Kingstonian or a Portie, which part of it you come from.

We use slang racial terms like black chiney and syrian (whether is actually syria dem people come from or not, we overgeneralize all the time lol)...but nobody is going to come say "I'm Jamaican and chinese" or "I'm Jamaican and Syrian"...that sounds ridiculous. It's OBVIOUS dem a chiney or syrian, usually. Unless people joking around or your race is part of your nickname... what specific type of Jamaican doesn't usually come up.
    Yes. You very rarely hear the Indo-Jamaican etc. garbage that the Indians in the other islands do. The Indians in other islands are Indian first and then West Indian second. They want to distinguish themselves from the blacks of their country. LOL. Jamaicans know what they and are proud of their heritage but they are Jamaicans first.

Also, the last name is irrelevant. I know Indians from several Caribbean islands with English surnames. I actually also know plenty Indians FROM INDIAN with the surname Thomas and/or with Portuguese surnames.

Credits
    May I ask why you fly a Kittian flag. Just curious as to how you made that decision.

The only reason Haitian integrate so well into Dominica's society is because they're simply going from one créole-speaking country to another one. On the other end of the spectrum, look how poorly integrated Haitians are in the Bahamas.

As for Dominicans & Puerto Ricans relating more to Central Americans, that couldn't be further from the truth. You rarely see people from the Spanish-Caribbean moving to mainland Latin America, with the exception of educational reasons, most Spanish Caribbean people who don't go to the states end up in other English-Speaking nations, and even French and Dutch speaking islands as well. Places like St Thomas, St Croix, St Maarten, Curaçao and Aruba have thousands of immigrants from the Dominican Republic, meanwhile no Spanish speaking country other than Puerto Rico and perhaps Panama can say the same.

Maybe I'm biased because I have a Dominican/Haitian mother and a Kittitian father, and happened to be born in St Thomas lol...but from my perspective Dominicans who still live in the Caribbean rarely have anything to do with mainland Latinos. Of course, this changes when they move to the states lol.

People from the Spanish and French speaking Caribbean have much more in common with each other than with anyone else, so you can't really say who relates more to whom since its never really that cut and dry. When you really get down to it, there ain't much difference between Spanish, French, English and Dutch caribbean people aside from language. Our music is similar, many of our traditions are similar, and much of our lifestyle is similar. 75% of the food you'll find in a Haitian restaurant you'll see in a Dominican one. My Kittitian aunts and cousins use the same bush teas that my Dominicans and Haitian aunts do.

Credits
    THIS GUY ON FB TELL ME HE INDIAN BUT OF JAMAICAN DECENT....MAN DONT EVEN LOOK DOUGLA HOW MUCH INDIAN YOU KNOW WITH THE LAST NAME WILSON
    For future reference , most of the Indians in Jamaica changed their surnames to christian ones, like many of the chinese Jamaicans converted and became catholics. SMH. In the Eastern caribbean people associate Portuguese as people from Madeira or catholics. The Portuguese in Jamaica are Jews in Jamaica from Spain,Portugal and Turkey. The Syrians in Jamaica are from Lebanon Palestinians,Syrians,Turks etc.
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend- Arabic proverb

Credits
    I got your point, but the person who posted that jamaican mixed with Indian was a douglah. People can tell if a person is mixed with something, based on complexion, features etc. Its natural for people to ask about background. Many Jamaicans of mixed ancestry see themselves as Black, but will point out their mixture if asked. You did the same in this topic.

Credits
    THIS GUY ON FB TELL ME HE INDIAN BUT OF JAMAICAN DECENT....MAN DONT EVEN LOOK DOUGLA HOW MUCH INDIAN YOU KNOW WITH THE LAST NAME WILSON
    At least he said it right. But honestly, most Jamaicans of Indian descent that I've met don't have Indian last names. You're of African descent. Do you have an African last name. If not, does that change your heritage? How many people of African descent in the Caribbean have African last names?

Credits
    i am 25% indian but i wudnt go around proclaiming to be full indian when i know im mostly black...if i was 50% then i wud say im c o o l i e lol

idk who he trying to impress with such an obvious lie smh lol
    That is your choice. Maybe he has more exposure and is closer to his Indian heritage than you are...

How is he lying? The man said he is of Indian descent...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post

I think is generally the ones born here (so, technically, Americans) that do that (with the Jamaican and black or Jamaican and whatever)
    ...More time they trying to show they have some connection to the caribbean, to show some kind of common ground with you. Cause I"m not sure, but i doubt they ID themselves that way to fellow americans. I don't think they realize how it comes across in reality else they would stop it (i hope).

OP is talking about an actual Jamaican (or an american of Ja descent who is pretending to be Jamaican!). I would understand the meaning but it sound ignorant, cause every Jamaican I ever encountered says they are Jamaican, not Something-HYPHEN-Jamaican, and not Jamaican-AND-Something. Only other specifics we DO tend to get hung up on is what part of Ja you from, and if a Kingstonian or a Portie, which part of it you come from.

We use slang racial terms like black chiney and syrian (whether is actually syria dem people come from or not, we overgeneralize all the time lol)...but nobody is going to come say "I'm Jamaican and chinese" or "I'm Jamaican and Syrian"...that sounds ridiculous. It's OBVIOUS dem a chiney or syrian, usually. Unless people joking around or your race is part of your nickname... what specific type of Jamaican doesn't usually come up.
    No...I hear it from BORN Jamaicans and those of Jamaican descent. That's why you have those like MissMayling who saw the description as fine. Honestly, I've never met any Americans of Jamaican descent (of people of West Indian descent) trying to say they are born in Jamaica or whatever island. In fact, quite of few of the Jamaican ones make clear that they are not Jamaican.

Some people like to act a way when they go "foreign."

Credits
    The usual suspects that never been to Jamaica but will make all kinds of pronouncements about Jamaican behaviour.

Typical

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by small_island_descent View Post
    It's true about Haitians in the Bahamas but I could say the same for the Dominican Republic. I'd be surprised if anyone treats Haitians worse that people from the DR do. Still, Haitians are able to relate with other islanders and I think we both agree that relate best with islanders from french creole Caribbean nations.

Also, you are right about people from DR moving to English speaking countries (there are a ton of them in Antigua) but I'm not sure if that has to do with them being able to relate to us more than mainland latinos. It could be that these islands have better economies, better opportunities and are willing to let these immigrants in. I do agree that all and all, we aren't so different. There are differences, of course, but there are similarities.

I've never met a person with Haitian, Dominican and Kittitian roots before. That's new. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaicangirl View Post
    May I ask why you fly a Kittian flag. Just curious as to how you made that decision.
    I identify with SKB the most.

I was born in the VI but never really lived there, and my childhood was split between NYC and St Kitts so that's what I know best. I speak Créole but I haven't been to Haiti in over a decade, and while I still have alot of family in DR and speak Spanish, I don't get along with them really.

Credits
    I identify with SKB the most.

I was born in the VI but never really lived there, and my childhood was split between NYC and St Kitts so that's what I know best. I speak Créole but I haven't been to Haiti in over a decade, and while I still have alot of family in DR and speak Spanish, I don't get along with them really.
    Trilingual...sweet!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    No...I hear it from BORN Jamaicans and those of Jamaican descent. That's why you have those like MissMayling who saw the description as fine. Honestly, I've never met any Americans of Jamaican descent (of people of West Indian descent) trying to say they are born in Jamaica or whatever island. In fact, quite of few of the Jamaican ones make clear that they are not Jamaican.

Some people like to act a way when they go "foreign."

Its well documented by sociologists that the West Indians raised In working class areas identify more with being Americans or African Americans, than those from middle and affluent families. The exception of course, if you were raised in areas like Brooklyn with a high concentration of WI. If you look at the Uk, even third and forth generation blacks of jamaican decent still refer themselves as Jamaican, and in fact some of them still speak with the accent.

have you ever been to jamaica???

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast