Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is de big deal about being a Greek?

Credits

What is de big deal about being a Greek?

I attend a HBCU, and its nice and everyting. All my roommates are all about to plege to be in a sorority (AKA, DELTA, ZETA and etc), and dem ask me if i was going to do it? I was like no, becauses dats is not my style. I meet all de requirments and everyting. Plus, I refuse to kiss anybody rass or let anyone give me licks on me rass to be a part of dem organization. Plus, my rass is too wild to be a part of anybody sorority. From what I know, must west indians are not into all dat sorority or fraternity ting.

My question is, what is de big deal about joining dees organizations? Dats is all my roommates talk about, joining these damn sororities.

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniStarr
    I attend a HBCU, and its nice and everyting. All my roommates are all about to plege to be in a sorority (AKA, DELTA, ZETA and etc), and dem ask me if i was going to do it? I was like no, becauses dats is not my style. I meet all de requirments and everyting. Plus, I refuse to kiss anybody rass or let anyone give me licks on me rass to be a part of dem organization. Plus, my rass is too wild to be a part of anybody sorority. From what I know, must west indians are not into all dat sorority or fraternity ting.

My question is, what is de big deal about joining dees organizations? Dats is all my roommates talk about, joining these damn sororities.
    I nuh in any either. They don't really appeal to me.

Credits
    just tradition.nothing special

Credits
    same ting i does wonder, but you can get some perks after grad

Credits
    I think most people do it because its a lifelong networking kinda thing. Cuz even after you leave school it could be helpful in business or whatever. Not my style either b ut I guess it's beneficial to those who do it.

Credits

At HU the Jamaicans have a fraternity called Halpha Shotta Halpha

Credits
    I'm not into all that......I have no school pride....i just want to graduate and get the hell out!!! i didn't even bother joying CSO (caribbean students org.)
    "If they were appreciated for their personality in the first place, she would not have been told to get extensions or weave when she started out as a reporter. This whole thing would not have been an issue to begin with if these women were appreciated for what was in their heads and on on top it." - Hello BKLYN

Credits

Thumbs down Personally

At one time, these organizations were about something. Back in the day, they were about helping and advancing our communities. However, now it's a different generation and it's broken into two sections Undergrad and Grad.

If you are an Undergrad, they don't do $hit exept party. the process to get in is purely a derivative of the slavery process in the founding days of this country. It's more about stature and fitting in at this level. most people who join at this level are never heard from again after they graduate past the undergrad level.

If you are at the Grad level, thay are moreso about making moves and doing stuff in the community. you won't hear about lawsuits of people getting there ribs broken or people getting fed poison, etc, etc. At this level ther person makes the organization, not the organization making the person (which, saddly is how it is at the undergrad level).

there's a book that I reccomend you read called the Divine Nine. It was wirtten by a man who is Greek. He beleives that within the next 15 to 30 years, these organizations will be extinct because of the ammount of lawsuit they have pending against them, plus there lack of changing with the times.

If you wanna be greek. Wait until your able to do grad. Undergrad is not worth the drama. I've been out of school for about six years now and for all of those people who screamed and shouted back in the day with thier various organizations, NONE of them are doing anything worth mentioning now.
    Last edited by kevlocks; 02-16-2005 at 07:11 PM.

Credits

think of it like your bands for carnival with lifetime membership or a black american method of extending white-privilege type perks or a service organization with benefits. it's a status thing like many any other restricted-membership clubs or teams that you are familiar with are.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by fiyah
    that's a good one
    "If they were appreciated for their personality in the first place, she would not have been told to get extensions or weave when she started out as a reporter. This whole thing would not have been an issue to begin with if these women were appreciated for what was in their heads and on on top it." - Hello BKLYN

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Libralove83
    that's a good one
    Its also a true one.

Credits

Also

I find that people from the caribbean don't really make too much noise when it comes to Greek life. it's more of a southern thing than anything else, where you have people who are greek from generation to generation.

Credits
    i know it can help in de near future, but on my campus, these gyals and dem do not get along with each other or wid de other HBCU's sorority dat surround my school. and dem suppose to be about sisterhood and brotherhood? I does see more dislike amountz these gyals den unity on dis damn campus.

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by fiyah
    Ah coulda guess it woulda have some kinda "Shotta" thing in it.

*smh*

Credits
    i know it can help in de near future, but on my campus, these gyals and dem do not get along with each other or wid de other HBCU's sorority dat surround my school. and dem suppose to be about sisterhood and brotherhood? I does see more dislike amountz these gyals den unity on dis damn campus.
    then you've already seen what it's all about. don't bother with it now. do Grad chapter if you really want to do it. By then, you would have probably moved onto bigger and better things in life, so you probably won't even want to be bothered with it at that time!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast