Thread: We West Indians always quick tuh get vex

Credits

We West Indians always quick tuh get vex

when non-West Indians classify us all as Jamaicans when they hear our accent and just mis-classify us generally. But the other day I was thinking..... What about Latinos/Hispanics? I couldn't tell a Puerto Rican from a Dominican from a Cuban, etc.... They all sound the same to me but I'm sure amongst each other than can differentiate the different accents. So, isn't it the same thing? So, I can't get vex with people when deh think Trinidad and Jamaica is the same.

Credits

Re: We West Indians always quick tuh get vex

Originally posted by Dougla_Ting
    when non-West Indians classify us all as Jamaicans when they hear our accent and just mis-classify us generally. But the other day I was thinking..... What about Latinos/Hispanics? I couldn't tell a Puerto Rican from a Dominican from a Cuban, etc.... They all sound the same to me but I'm sure amongst each other than can differentiate the different accents. So, isn't it the same thing? So, I can't get vex with people when deh think Trinidad and Jamaica is the same.
    Yuh know...that's true...I used to get vex when I first came here, but now, ah take dat opportnity to tell dem all about Trindad.

amprincess
    just a little tip for you for your own safety - NEVER EVER CALL A PUERTO RICAN A DOMINICAN TO THEIR FACE AND VICE VERSA. you will feel the wrath they hate each other for some strange reason

Credits

It's the same

Originally posted by amprincess
    just a little tip for you for your own safety - NEVER EVER CALL A PUERTO RICAN A DOMINICAN TO THEIR FACE AND VICE VERSA. you will feel the wrath they hate each other for some strange reason
    It's the same thing with a Puerto Rican and a Cuban...their blood doh mix atal!

Credits
    well i get vex b/c of the person's ignorance. i mean yah have an education and u still generalize? ppl should automatically know that not everyone with an accent is from the same country. the same thing with the spanish. if i hear someone talking spanish i don't readily assume they are puerto rican. to tell u the truth, i really don't know where they r from. i just say "that spanish person" if i have to refer to them.

Credits
    Originally posted by MrsSocaflex
    well i get vex b/c of the person's ignorance. i mean yah have an education and u still generalize? ppl should automatically know that not everyone with an accent is from the same country. the same thing with the spanish. if i hear someone talking spanish i don't readily assume they are puerto rican. to tell u the truth, i really don't know where they r from. i just say "that spanish person" if i have to refer to them.
    You're right! Because although I can't tell the difference, I never assume. If I really want to know I'd just ask the person. OK, so now I could go back to getting vex when people assume I'm Jamaican.

Credits
    Originally posted by Dougla_Ting
    You're right! Because although I can't tell the difference, I never assume. If I really want to know I'd just ask the person. OK, so now I could go back to getting vex when people assume I'm Jamaican.

Credits
    amp ... yuh so right ... if u ever call meh aunt a puerto rican ... she give yuh a reason to make yuh mudda feel bad.