Thread: Wanted: DJ to make a winning mix of soca

Credits

Wanted: DJ to make a winning mix of soca

Hi, Jouvay.com is entering the San Francisco carnival queen dance competition. Unlike anywhere else our carnival is quite international with a larger Brazilian presence. This is our first year on the scene out here as a Craibbean promotional group and we're trying to get our name out there even if it means having to shake it to be judged by folks.

I know quite a few DJs and their supporters have emailed us because we've already brought B2B and Tony Tempo out here and they were hits and they'd like to play on the West COast also.
    We want to do more of that, but it takes time.

If any of you DJs read this and have the time, we need a soca mix for our contestant to dance to. We definitely want that song with "what's your name mama, we could do the rumba, salsa, lambada...), Trinidad and Run. The competition is more about dancing and crowd appeal (helps that you could replace the names of local groups in Trinidad) and the salsa, samba stuff is needed since it's more of an international crowd and she's an excellent salsa/samba dancer as well as wicked GT winer. WE don't have money, but we'll give you all the props for the mix and you can put your name in the song etc etc.

Check our website: jouvay.com
    Email us: sfjouvay@onebox.com

Credits

RE: Wanted: DJ to make a winning mix of soca

Why de hell allyuh doh buy de CD, if yuh throwing party, buy de flipping CD wit de money yuh make, allyuh blasted pirates eh easy nah....... Stueepppssss!!!!

Credits

Sorry to offend. Maybe you did not read my post correctly, but we are looking for a mix of the soca which requires the skills of a really good DJ. We're about promoting the culture and are doing what we can to big it up on the west coast which includes getting the music played on the radio, asking the record stores to stock the CDs (not terribly effective to date), throwing the parties, and volunteering on the carinval committees. Having the CDs (actually some are not even available as yet like Militant's Nzinga) and making a mix of songs for a dance competition are two completely different things. If you are a promoter in a place where West Indians don't really have a place to go party, you'd understand how important it is for groups, like jouvay.com, to do as much as they can to sell the culture. You wonder why soca is not played 24-7 on the radio stations? Well, it's been in a pretty isolated community that has failed to cross it over and sell it the mainstream. Tell me, if you're not in NY or Miami where do you buy the CDs? Which artists have current websites with contact and promotional info and the option to buy their CDs? Where on 96.1 do you see the option to buy soca switch #8? Before you measure someoneone you must take into consideration the hills and valleys dat they done trud through...Lorraine Hansbury....

your comment was understood, but i think our post was misunderstood by you.

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-02 AT 01:57 AM (EST)]Dahling, I did not misunderstand your comments, but from some of your other posts, I am starting to see your true colors. Look, I lived on the West Coast up till 1999 right there in Oaktown and I can tell you that there is a place in Berkeley, I believe the name was Rasputin records with tons of soca, in fact more variety than many east coast big cities. You could also check vprecords.com, and there are many other online location you can buy CDs but doy waste yuh time with Militant “Nzinga”, dat song eh make ah note in Trini but ah know yuh biggin him up because he Guyanese. Much respect tuh him though fuh “Hot and Groovy”. I use to frequent Rasputin, why you dissin de west coast soooo? Look, I realize this is pure commercial appeal on your end, but check dis, I go contact meh peeps out west and really find out who dis Jouvay.com Guyanese crew is, because when I was dey, I nevah hear bout allyuh…..

engineroom

rasputin in berkeley is almost the only place in the San Fran bay area carrying more than a few kaiso selections... but it is still pretty slim and generally a year behind.

the buyer their told me he basically only carries what he can get from VP and also what just happens to be carried by non West Indian distributors, which is fairly random. He said that they had tried to deal with JW, etc. but that it was too much of a hassle to try and do proper business with them. I worked for a distributor long ago in Florida and know this to be true also, soca/calypso distribution sucks and is very unproffesional, Sucks, SUCKS!!! as in capital "S!"

This is the fault of the artists, the producers, and the distributors.
    There is really no excuse for poor distribution in the age of the internet. The reggae industry used to have similar problems (VP was just as bad) but managed to improve dramatically in the 90s and now the latest dancehall is just as accessible as the latest hip-hip/etc. no matter where in the world you are. Granted, demand for soca is not as high outside of the West Indian diaspora, but it is a little bit of a catch-22 - it is hard to generate demand and then sustain interest in music that no one can get, not even people with music connections. FOR SHAME!

Take that Militant tune "N'Zinga" that people were mentioning - I find that is a really bad ass tune but you're right, it didn't get much props, mainly I suspect because it doesn't seem to be easily available. Maybe I am missing some info, but even my partners in Miami & Trini can't tell me what CD it comes on.
    I have almost all the major comps & artists from the summer and this season, and I not seeing it anywhere, a friend actually sent me a burned copy that he got from a friend who got it from ??? - I don't support piracy and I will gladly buy the CD when I can find out what di R*SS it is, but in the meantime I would still like to be able to play the tune.

anyway, man starting to ramble so let me stop.

engineroom gone.

Credits

dat's because we new. and it's not just Guyanese. If you were here up to 99 we may know each other. I go to Rasputsins. Atcually, one of their employees, Jose Ruiz, does a radio show on Saturdays on KPFA and he plays the soca, but the selection is limited and anything from 2002 he's gotten from us. So when you were here there were caribbean gardens and the caribee (both guyanese owned did you know that?) and now there's island paradise (jamaican owned) and caribbean gardens (mexican owned). Which Djs would you be referring to out here that played current soca and plenty of it? For a while the scene died, so if you can put me in touch with them you'll have my blessings. Why yuh hating so hard? I hope this is no cal/stanford rivalry.

Credits

Check out the boy

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-02 AT 01:21 AM (EST)]I am sure they will be in touch with you.

Credits

Yeah, tell them to ocme check this one out & identify themselves or submit their names to sfjouvay@onebox.com:

http://www.antoinekinch.com/jouvay/images/flyer_front_pat.jpg

http://www.antoinekinch.com/jouvay/images/flyer_back_pat.jpg