Thread: Very Promising Results on HPV Vaccine

elq
    Credits

Very Promising Results on HPV Vaccine

TRENTON, New Jersey (AP) -- The first major study of an experimental vaccine to prevent cervical cancer found it was 100 percent effective, in the short term, at blocking the disease and lesions likely to turn cancerous, drug maker Merck & Co. said.

Gardasil, a genetically engineered vaccine, blocks infection with two of the 100-plus types of human papilloma virus, HPV 16 and 18. The two sexually transmitted viruses together cause about 70 percent of cervical cancers.

Other types of HPV also can cause cervical cancer and painful genital warts. About 20 million Americans have some form of HPV.

The final-stage study of Gardasil included 10,559 sexually active women ages 16 to 26 in the United States and 12 other countries who were not infected with HPV 16 or 18. Half got three vaccine doses over six months; half got dummy shots.

Among those still virus-free after the six months, none who received the vaccine developed cervical cancer or precancerous lesions over an average two years of follow-up, compared with 21 who got dummy shots.

"To have 100 percent efficacy is something that you have very rarely," Dr. Eliav Barr, Merck's head of clinical development for Gardasil, told The Associated Press. "We're breaking out the champagne."

The study, which was funded by Merck, was to be presented Friday at a meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

A second analysis, including hundreds more women participating in the ongoing study, showed that after just one dose the vaccine was 97 percent effective. That analysis found only one of the 5,736 women who got the vaccine developed cervical cancer or precancerous lesions, compared with 36 among the 5,766 who got dummy shots.

Barr said the 97 percent rate was more "real world," given that patients sometimes miss or delay follow-up shots or tests.

"I see this as a phenomenal breakthrough," said Dr. Gloria Bachmann, director of The Women's Health Institute at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Brunswick.

Bachmann said diagnosis of infection leaves women anxious over the heightened risk of cervical cancer and raises questions among couples about infidelity and prior sexual activity.

"You have to get students in grammar school, middle school, high school (vaccinated) before they become sexually active," she said.

Cervical cancer is the second-most common cancer in women and their No. 2 cause of cancer deaths, resulting in about 3,000 deaths in the United States and nearly 300,000 around the world each year. At least half of sexually active men and women become infected with genital HPV at some point.

The immune system clears most such infections in a year or two, but several types of HPV can persist, cause cervical cancer or trigger other cancers in the genital area. There is no cure for HPV, but the cancers can be treated and an improved Pap test is catching more cervical cancer before it has spread.

Whitehouse Station-based Merck, hammered by slumping revenues and profits and facing roughly 5,000 lawsuits over its withdrawn painkiller Vioxx, is seeking to beat rival drug maker GlaxoSmithKline to market with the first cervical cancer vaccine.

GlaxoSmithKline did not return a call seeking comment, but has published research showing its vaccine against HPV 16 and 18 prevents persistent HPV infection. The Merck vaccine also reduces infection with HPV 6 and 11, which cause 90 percent of genital warts cases.

Merck plans by year's end to seek Food and Drug Administration approval to sell its vaccine for use by girls and young women.

"If all goes well, sometime in 2006 it should be on the market," Barr said.

Merck is continuing research on Gardasil and will soon report on four years of follow-up on women in the current study. The company also will explore whether the vaccine's effectiveness wanes over time. Barr noted that some women in the study developed dangerous precancerous lesions caused by HPV types other than 16 and 18.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by elq
    TRENTON, New Jersey (AP) -- The first major study of an experimental vaccine to prevent cervical cancer found it was 100 percent effective, in the short term, at blocking the disease and lesions likely to turn cancerous, drug maker Merck & Co. said.

Gardasil, a genetically engineered vaccine, blocks infection with two of the 100-plus types of human papilloma virus, HPV 16 and 18. The two sexually transmitted viruses together cause about 70 percent of cervical cancers.

Other types of HPV also can cause cervical cancer and painful genital warts. About 20 million Americans have some form of HPV.

The final-stage study of Gardasil included 10,559 sexually active women ages 16 to 26 in the United States and 12 other countries who were not infected with HPV 16 or 18. Half got three vaccine doses over six months; half got dummy shots.

Among those still virus-free after the six months, none who received the vaccine developed cervical cancer or precancerous lesions over an average two years of follow-up, compared with 21 who got dummy shots.

"To have 100 percent efficacy is something that you have very rarely," Dr. Eliav Barr, Merck's head of clinical development for Gardasil, told The Associated Press. "We're breaking out the champagne."

The study, which was funded by Merck, was to be presented Friday at a meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

A second analysis, including hundreds more women participating in the ongoing study, showed that after just one dose the vaccine was 97 percent effective. That analysis found only one of the 5,736 women who got the vaccine developed cervical cancer or precancerous lesions, compared with 36 among the 5,766 who got dummy shots.

Barr said the 97 percent rate was more "real world," given that patients sometimes miss or delay follow-up shots or tests.

"I see this as a phenomenal breakthrough," said Dr. Gloria Bachmann, director of The Women's Health Institute at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Brunswick.

Bachmann said diagnosis of infection leaves women anxious over the heightened risk of cervical cancer and raises questions among couples about infidelity and prior sexual activity.

"You have to get students in grammar school, middle school, high school (vaccinated) before they become sexually active," she said.

Cervical cancer is the second-most common cancer in women and their No. 2 cause of cancer deaths, resulting in about 3,000 deaths in the United States and nearly 300,000 around the world each year. At least half of sexually active men and women become infected with genital HPV at some point.

The immune system clears most such infections in a year or two, but several types of HPV can persist, cause cervical cancer or trigger other cancers in the genital area. There is no cure for HPV, but the cancers can be treated and an improved Pap test is catching more cervical cancer before it has spread.

Whitehouse Station-based Merck, hammered by slumping revenues and profits and facing roughly 5,000 lawsuits over its withdrawn painkiller Vioxx, is seeking to beat rival drug maker GlaxoSmithKline to market with the first cervical cancer vaccine.

GlaxoSmithKline did not return a call seeking comment, but has published research showing its vaccine against HPV 16 and 18 prevents persistent HPV infection. The Merck vaccine also reduces infection with HPV 6 and 11, which cause 90 percent of genital warts cases.

Merck plans by year's end to seek Food and Drug Administration approval to sell its vaccine for use by girls and young women.

"If all goes well, sometime in 2006 it should be on the market," Barr said.

Merck is continuing research on Gardasil and will soon report on four years of follow-up on women in the current study. The company also will explore whether the vaccine's effectiveness wanes over time. Barr noted that some women in the study developed dangerous precancerous lesions caused by HPV types other than 16 and 18.
    As they say prevention is better than cure, so this is definetly one for the history books! I am sure many women will line up for this vaccine once it gets on the market...including me! Elq let me know when and where to line up!

Credits
    HPV is not a game 8 out of every 10 people carry it, thats just insane and condoms dont even prevent it, its not visable all the time and you may never show symptons and the only protection is no sex

Credits
    great.....

what is the progress on diagnosing cancer quicker.any tests looking promising? i get worried sometimes.

elq
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Essiquibo
    great.....

what is the progress on diagnosing cancer quicker.any tests looking promising? i get worried sometimes.
    pap smear for the ladies.

Credits

Always good for info

Credits
    I need to invest in some Merck stock.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trinidarkie
    I need to invest in some Merck stock.
    too late.you might have missed the boat.......invest in the stock of that australian company that has the vaccine for the new flu threatening this winter.

Credits
    too late.you might have missed the boat.......invest in the stock of that australian company that has the vaccine for the new flu threatening this winter.
    can i get some backing for that lil bit a info

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by WadadliEmpress
    can i get some backing for that lil bit a info
    i was watching 20/20

and that new flu virus (i THINK its called the H-flu.not sure)
    for years people have been urging congress to get the nation ready for an oncoming outbreak, but they have ignored. and now the virus is coming ashore. it has killed about 60 peeps and i saw on cnn that its carried by birds, mainly in china (no more wings for me)

so this australian company has the vaccine and the supplies are REAL low because other countries have been buying it up. onlt de U.S. laggin(juks)
    but the US trying to pay them to make more. so u know stock is gonna ^^^^^^^^^

Credits
    i was watching 20/20

and that new flu virus (i THINK its called the H-flu.not sure)
    for years people have been urging congress to get the nation ready for an oncoming outbreak, but they have ignored. and now the virus is coming ashore. it has killed about 60 peeps and i saw on cnn that its carried by birds, mainly in china (no more wings for me)

so this australian company has the vaccine and the supplies are REAL low because other countries have been buying it up. onlt de U.S. laggin(juks)
    but the US trying to pay them to make more. so u know stock is gonna ^^^^^^^^^
    tank you,... i'll have a gander at cnn

elq
    Credits
    there are 3 things.

Avian flu
    and Pandemic flu
    and general flu

general flu vaccine is projected to be in short supply. www.cdc.gov

How much vaccine will be available for the 2005-06 influenza season?
    Because of the uncertainties regarding production of influenza vaccine, the exact number of available doses and the timing of vaccine distribution for the 2005–06 influenza season remain unknown. Four manufacturers expect to provide influenza vaccine to the U.S. market during the 2005–06 influenza season. Sanofi Pasteur, Inc., projects production of up to 60 million doses of inactivated influenza vaccine (“flu shots”). Chiron Corporation projects production of 18–26 million doses of inactivated influenza vaccine. GlaxoSmithKline, Inc. (GSK), projects production of 8 million doses of inactivated influenza vaccine for U.S. distribution. MedImmune Vaccines, Inc., producer of the nasal-spray influenza vaccine (also called live attenuated influenza vaccine, or LAIV), projects having approximately 3 million doses available for distribution.

Will Chiron supply vaccine to the United States this year?
    Chiron Corporation projects production of 18–26 million doses of influenza vaccine for the U.S. market. On March 2, 2005 , the British Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) lifted its suspension of Chiron's license to manufacture influenza vaccine (see http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/2005/new01160.html ). Chiron announced on August 31, 2005 that it had passed U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) inspections of the company’s Liverpool facility. This means that Chiron may proceed with its plan to produce influenza vaccine for the 2005–06 influenza season. Chiron will be able to deliver influenza vaccine to the U.S. market upon successful production, final testing of the vaccine, and release of the vaccine by FDA to the U.S. market.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by elq
    pap smear for the ladies.
    That is so uncomfortable. I really feel they should introduce another method.
    I am definitely glad to hear they created a vaccine. Hopefully, in a couple of years, there isnt a warning on the medication and its side effects like recent drugs.