Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US fury grows over release of Lockerbie bomber

Toppa_Toppa

US fury grows over release of Lockerbie bomber

White House says scenes at Libyan's homecoming were 'outrageous and disgusting'

The White House last night vented its fury over the release of the convicted Lockerbie bomber when it described the triumphalist scenes greeting his homecoming at Tripoli airport as "outrageous and disgusting".

Amid growing anger on both sides of the Atlantic at the decision of the Scottish government to free the man convicted of the murder of 270 people as a result of the attack on Pan Am flight 103, the British government distanced itself from the decision.

Downing Street confirmed that Gordon Brown had written to the Libyan leader, Muammar Gaddafi, calling on Libya to "act with sensitivity" and to ensure a "low-key return" for Abdelbaset al-Megrahi. Hours after Britain sent the letter, however, Megrahi was cheered by hundreds of supporters, some waving Scottish flags, as he landed at Tripoli airport accompanied by Gaddafi's son.

David Miliband, the foreign secretary, drew criticism for refusing to offer an opinion on whether he supported the release, saying in a BBC Today interview that it was a matter purely for the Scottish government. Last night the Foreign Office denied Libyan claims that Megrahi's release was linked to trade deals, saying: "There is no deal. All decisions relating to the Megrahi case have been made exclusively by Scottish ministers, the Crown Office in Scotland and the Scottish judicial authorities. No deal has been made between the UK government and Libya in relation to Megrahi and any commercial interests in the country."

The White House condemned the scenes at Tripoli airport in unusually undiplomatic language. Robert Gibbs, Barack Obama's spokesman, said: "I think the images that we saw in Libya yesterday were outrageous and disgusting. We continue to express our condolences to the families that lost a loved one as a result of this terrorist murder."

But in an interview from his home in Tripoli yesterday Meghrahi denied he was responsible for the Lockerbie bombing. He said that before he died he would present fresh evidence through his Scottish lawyers that would exonerate him. "My message to the British and Scottish communities is that I will put out the evidence and ask them to be the jury," he told the Times, but he declined to elaborate. He also denied that Libya was responsible for the atrocity.

Obama described the scenes at Tripoli airport as "highly objectionable", and the White House warned the Libyan government that it risked a rift between the two countries if there is any repetition of the hero's welcome for Megrahi. Gibbs said the US would be watching what happens next. It wants Megrahi held under house arrest. Part of the US anger is because Libya snubbed a plea by Obama not to award him a hero's welcome.

Downing Street was also irritated. Sir Vincent Fean, the British ambassador to Tripoli, delivered Brown's letter to the Libyan prime minister an hour after Megrahi's plane left Glasgow airport.

British government sources said they were "not over the moon" about the celebrations, but they accepted Libyan explanations that it had not been an official demonstration and that security officials had turned away crowds.

Miliband made clear that he would be monitoring Libyan conduct. Britain will be upset if Megrahi maintains a high profile and Gaddafi meets him. Describing the scenes at the airport as "deeply upsetting", Miliband said: "I think it's very important that Libya knows and certainly we have told them that how the Libyan government handles itself in the next few days after the arrival of Mr Megrahi will be very significant in the way the world views Libya's re-entry into the civilised community of nations."

In a sign that relations have been damaged, British government sources indicated last night that it was highly unlikely the Duke of York would attend ceremonies next month to mark the 40th anniversary of the Libyan revolution that brought Gaddafi to power. No formal invitation has been sent, but the duke, Britain's official trade envoy, had been expected to attend the event as part of Britain's growing trade relationship with Libya.

The Scottish government is planning to defend its decision. Kenny MacAskill, the Scottish justice secretary, who released Megrahi on compassionate grounds because he has terminal prostate cancer, is expected to criticise London's conduct when the Scottish parliament meets in emergency session on Monday.

MacAskill is said to be furious with the UK government for refusing to take part in his consultations over the release. SNP sources believe that Brown ordered ministers not to take part so that London could distance itself from the decision.

The UK government refused to answer in detail a letter from MacAskill after the US authorities told him that London had given an assurance that Megrahi would always serve his sentence in Scotland. MacAskill says London's failure to answer this question was one reason why he could not transfer Megrahi to a prison in Libya.
    US fury grows over release of Lockerbie bomber | UK news | The Guardian

Credits
    David Miliband, the foreign secretary, drew criticism for refusing to offer an opinion on whether he supported the release, saying in a BBC Today interview that it was a matter purely for the Scottish government. Last night the Foreign Office denied Libyan claims that Megrahi's release was linked to trade deals, saying: "There is no deal.
    right... and we are supposed to believe that, Italy is signed a major deal with the Libyan government obviously the UK or Scots want a piece.

Funny how we value human lives these days.

Credits

THIS IS A DEAL between the White Ruling Class and Gaddafi

All this U.S. Fury Nonsense is Pure Fockery and Theatrics for the benefit of the White Working Class Suckers who lost relatives!

Lemme school allyuh on what really went down:

In 1986 a NO GOOD YanKKKee MudderfuKKKing President named Ronald Reagan dropped Bombs on Libya killing Gaddafi's daughter and over 100 Libyans:
    BBC ON THIS DAY | 15 | 1986: US launches air strikes on Libya

Gaddafi HAD TO SEND A MESSAGE to the White Ruling Class........

........... and HE DID in 1988!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember CLEARLY back in the day when the White Ruling Class Media use to call Gaddafi a MADMAN and a TERRORIST on a daily basis............

........TODAY the U.S. White Ruling Class and Libya has EXCELLENT Oil Trading and Diplomatic Relationships, and Gaddafi can Travel ALL OVER THE WORLD Untouched!
    Last edited by marabunta; 08-22-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Credits

His Release was part of an OIL DEAL with White Ruling Class Corporations

Credits
    Well having been in a couple counter-terrorist units when I was a sailor, I certainly hold no brief for the likes of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi. But seeing as how the US is so outraged over his release, what with him having been connected to the deaths of so many innocent lives and all, I have to ask: what moral authority does Washington have again? I mean, Obama notwithstanding and all, whe de fuck these people does get they arrogance?

In 1976 a Cuban aircraft was blown up in mid-air killing 73 passengers and the man wanted in connection with that bombing, Luis Posada Carriles, was trained by the CIA, was sheltered by the US and as far as is known still lives there. There is a warrant for his arrest in Venezuela and I believe one in Barbaodos too (certainly not Trinidad, although the plane landed here as well, but we eh have that kinda backbone).

And that's just THAT incident, what about the other bombings clearly linked to the US and its assets including the mining of the harbour in Honduras? Has the US given up Kissinger yet for his complicity in the killing of Salvador Allende on Sept 11 1973? Last I checked the family of one of the military officers killed in that coup was making attempts to have him called to account.

But that's just me and my anti-Americanism/anti-Manning views, doh pay me no mind, right, off to wuk
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Credits
    Ithink the major points of contention revolve around
    a) the heroes welcome in libya

b)alegations of an oil deal

if there is any validity to b, one would have to wonder how accurate the diagnosis of terminal prostate cancer really is.

Credits
    alot of free fallafels were exchanged!

Credits
    In 1976 a Cuban aircraft was blown up in mid-air killing 73 passengers and the man wanted in connection with that bombing, Luis Posada Carriles, was trained by the CIA, was sheltered by the US and as far as is known still lives there. There is a warrant for his arrest in Venezuela and I believe one in Barbaodos too (certainly not Trinidad, although the plane landed here as well, but we eh have that kinda backbone).

This is why i pay no mind to all the complaining about this, americas has a terrorist running around living in south florida but you hear nothing of this fact

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jahblessed View Post

This is why i pay no mind to all the complaining about this, americas has a terrorist running around living in south florida but you hear nothing of this fact
    Full of shit, what else is new.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits

two wrongs dont make it right though. at the end of the day i feel for the families of those murdered

Credits

America got a TERRORIST Living in the White House...........

..........MURDERING CIVILIANS EVERYDAY!
    http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/f9...-count-189223/

Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    two wrongs dont make it right though. at the end of the day i feel for the families of those murdered
    Thank you.......and when I heard of the guys release well..... One can hope and pray for something positive to happen. It's been a long 21 years without my uncle but it is what it is. My God just talking about it just brings tears back to my eyes. I'm out
    Last edited by **Vincy-Soca-Diva**; 09-01-2009 at 08:53 AM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by **Vincy-Soca-Diva** View Post
    Thank you. and when I heard of the guys release. One can hope and pray for something positive to happen. It's been a long 21 years without my uncle but it is what it is. My God just alking about it just brings tears back to my eyes. I'm out
    My deepest condolences go out to you; I cannot pretend to imagine how that kind of pain feels. Oneshot said it, two wrongs cannot make a right and I am saying that those of us who feel a sense of outrage should direct it not only at the Scottish authorites but should use occasions such as these to bring focus on the double-standard of certain states and people. Innocent lives were taken away in the Lockerbie bombing, but many more lives have been taken away in the 1976 bombing, the shelling of refugee camps in Palestine, the blowing up of ships in Havana harbour and Honduras, the killing that followed the overthrow and murder of Allende in Chile, the perpetrators for these and other atrocities are still around; some of them are interviewed on CNN, Fox, the History Channel and so on. Who is going to speak for those innocent lives?
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananci_7 View Post
    My deepest condolences go out to you; I cannot pretend to imagine how that kind of pain feels. Oneshot said it, two wrongs cannot make a right and I am saying that those of us who feel a sense of outrage should direct it not only at the Scottish authorites but should use occasions such as these to bring focus on the double-standard of certain states and people. Innocent lives were taken away in the Lockerbie bombing, but many more lives have been taken away in the 1976 bombing, the shelling of refugee camps in Palestine, the blowing up of ships in Havana harbour and Honduras, the killing that followed the overthrow and murder of Allende in Chile, the perpetrators for these and other atrocities are still around; some of them are interviewed on CNN, Fox, the History Channel and so on. Who is going to speak for those innocent lives?
    BIG POST... you see it

the problem is most people want exchange and not change.. they want to be able to perpetrate the same injustices they suffered onto a new victim. Like the israelis and palestinians, tutsi and hutu

Credits
    I couldn't give a fuck about the Americans fury along with their bullshit propaganda...

They are the cruellest nation in the history of mankind...
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast