Thread: Unpaid Debt

Credits

Unpaid Debt

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-02 AT 12:26 PM (EST)]well, i was jus checkin out the news over at abc and came across this article entitled, 'Unpaid Debt'.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/compensation020808.html

the question at hand is:

Innocent men freed from jail — sometimes after serving decades for crimes they didn't commit — often get little more than an apology. Does society owe money to these wrongly convicted men?

i suggest reading the article, bcuz it is interesting. i was discussing this with 1 of my co-workers and they brought up the notion of paying the innocent victim a lump sum of the average working employee in the US ($35,000) for each of the x amount of years they spent in prison. go figure. i don't think honestly any form of money can buy 18 years of u'r life back, so what type of reparations, if any can be done?

salt

Credits

RE: Unpaid Debt

The men wrongly convicted deserve money yes. Although it won't bring back the years of their life that were taken away from them. But they do need some form of compensation.

All the abuse the person endured during jail time. The trauma brought to the perons family and just the outright destruction of his life. How many friends and family members the inmate lost because they thought he/she was a criminal.

I say definitely give the wrongly convicted money, and plenty of it.
    Live your Life!
    www.REVELLERSinc.com

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-02 AT 01:22 PM (EST)]I also agree that they need some form of reparations. I mean think about it - once you've spent more than ten years imprisoned, think about how lost you will be when you get out! I remember watching this story on Montel about these two guys were served 14 out of 16 years for a murder they didn't commit because a crackhead was paid $500 to place them at the scene of the crime and was the ONLY witness. They were arrested in the late eighties. Needless to say, computers, CDs, DVDs, cellphones, and a slew of other technology and everyday items were alien to them when they were freed in the 21st century......

Credits

good post salty....

like others have stated, there must be some sort of compensation for the exonerated. And i know exactly where that money should come from.

Do you know that it costs us taxpayers millions each year to keep the prison system running. That is because American prisoners get top "rehabilitation" treatment. Buffet meals three times a day, cable, recreation rooms fully loaded with televisions, vcr's, cable, weight training equipment, fully stocked libraries, off-site recruitment/priviledges....trade courses(my cousin's friend spent 3 years in jail, 'welding and smoking'....words from his own mouth).

the government needs to cut back on the priviledges of the punished. heck, we have some families that don't know where the next meal is coming from. yet, murderers are living rent free like fat rats.
    I say move prison funds around so that there is a purse for those wrongly accused waiting for them when they are freed.

Don't study it.

Credits

RE: SOCABABY

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-02 AT 02:40 PM (EST)]all 3 of u guys hit the monkey on the lips with u'r statements. daddymac spoke about the abuse innocence jailers may have faced and no need 2 get graphic on that. corn mentioned about being behind the times cuz technology as we know changes overnite, much less being away from it 4 18 yrs. and essi mentioned about the taxpayers payin millions. jus 2 play chupid's advocate, should the taxpayers get their money back since their dollar's went 2 wasting money on some1 who isn't a criminal instead?

i tend 2 disagree a lil bit though on prisoners supposedly liv'n the 'comfy' life in jail. dependent upon the crime, i feel some harsher means should be justified 2 certain inmates. even though they have cable, meals, etc., that doesn't mean they should be revoked of their necessities (ok, maybe cable isn't 1 :P). they r all still human afterall whether it was a heinous crime or petty crime committed. but i'm wit u on the moving prison funds in2 a separate fund 4 those wrongly accused. question is who will regulate it?

salt