Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: The U.K.'s Elite Universities Shun Black Students.

  1. #1
    Kakez868
    Guest

    The U.K.'s Elite Universities Shun Black Students.



    United Kingdom Universities Oxford and Cambridge fail to bring in black students. But is it because of racism or the school system?
    In a recent report courtesy of The Guardian, the U.K.'s elite universities bring in alarmingly low amounts of black students into their undergraduate programs. By low, we mean next to none.

    In the report, 21 Oxbridge colleges didn't offer admission to a single black student. Oxford and Cambridge are guilty of this alarming racial disparity. The figures were brought to light when Labour MP David Lammy requested that the Freedom of Information Act be put in play on Oxbridge undergraduate admissions. The results are a bit scary, to say the least.

    Out of all of its colleges, Oxford granted one black student (a black Caribbean) admission to the college out of 35 applicants while Cambridge accepted six (also of Caribbean origins). But the disparities do not stop there.

    There isn't a single black person amongst the 1500 faculty members employed at Cambridge. Not a single one.

    The report also yielded a startling stat where both Oxford and Cambridge's social profile are over 85% upper class while the average for other British universities is 64.5% upper and middle class. So it appears the odds are stacked against the intelligent who just so happen to not be cut from the upper crust of society.

    Equal opportunity our arse!

    While Oxford University has taken issue with the report by saying that the numbers are both "old" and "out of date," the fact remains that the racial disparity is present. But Oxford has said that the reason for the gap is because children who come from a less than middle class family (who apparently just so happen to be black) are performing at a lower clip than their upper class peers. This, in turn, leads to individuals who are less qualified for the elite universities. They also say that the number of applicants is low to begin with and it is because of this low number of applicants that a disparity even exists.

    But, if what Oxford is saying is true, we have to ask why it is so low. Is it because black students are not qualified or does it have to do more with what U.K.'s elite have projected to minorities?

    Who is to blame?

    The U.K.'s Elite Universities Shun Black Students - theBVX.com

  2. #2
    Registered User iPicong's Avatar iPicong is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    JC/Brazil 2014
    Posts
    51,424
    Credits
    44,178,436
    Piss poor investigative reporting. How d newspaper could do a report and compare grades to see if the students just didnt make d grade............is d Guardian a tabloid or legit over dey
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio



    LR Advertising LLC

  3. #3
    Pre
    Registered User Pre is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,595
    Credits
    2,603,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Picong View Post
    Piss poor investigative reporting. How d newspaper could do a report and compare grades to see if the students just didnt make d grade............is d Guardian a tabloid or legit over dey
    Because Black people supposed to be everywhere.

  4. #4
    Potty Mouth Mrs.Bravo's Avatar Mrs.Bravo is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    1,108
    Credits
    138,560
    The Guardian is a broadsheet

    My friend came back from an interview at Oxford yesterday and we were talking about this exact topic, only 1 Black Carribean gained a place but 26 Black Africans were given a place..

  5. #5
    Kakez868
    Guest
    The Last Line In The Post (The Last Thing That Would Be In Your Mind Had You Read The Above In It's Entirety) Adresses Your Concern.

    Would You Say That It Might Be Ah' Bit......Coincidental That There Are Absolutely No Black People Working There, Or That By Your Logic Of All Blacks Who Apply Only 6 Make The Grade Each And Every Time..Or That There Seems To Be Ah' Feudal Social Class Pyramid Sytem En' Place With Those From The "Upper Crest" Situated At The Top, Making Up The Bulk Of The Population. Thus Creating Ah' Situation Where Blacks (Who Historically Have Ah' Hard Time Positioning Them self In That "Upper Crest", Something Which College Life Could Bring Them Closer To), Are Not Only Alienated By Their Peers, But Are Put En' An Uphill Battle Of Rich\Poor.....And This Is Their College Life.

    It Has Nothing To Do With "Black People Being Everywhere"..But I Am Of The Belief That Black People Of Every Continent And Creed Are Entitled To Ah' Proper Education..Especially At One Of The Most Celebrated Universities On The Planet..I'm Sorry If You Feel Otherwise..It Is Rather Telling Of Your Character And Motives Though.

    As You Look At This Kina' Institutionalized Racism\Classism, It Becomes Apparent The Reasons For The Status And Condition Of Blacks Worldwide (As This Same Thing Is Taking Place Across Europe And To Ah' Lesser Extent En The U.S)
    Last edited by Kakez868; 12-08-2010 at 07:47 AM.

  6. #6
    Registered User iPicong's Avatar iPicong is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    JC/Brazil 2014
    Posts
    51,424
    Credits
    44,178,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakez868 View Post
    The Last Line In The Post (The Last Thing That Would Be In Your Mind Had You Read The Above In It's Entirety) Adresses Your Concern.

    Would You Say That It Might Be Ah' Bit......Coincidental That There Are Absolutely No Black People Working There, Or That By Your Logic Of All Blacks Who Apply Only 6 Make The Grade Each And Every Time..Or That There Seems To Be Ah' Feudal Social Class Pyramid Sytem En' Place With Those From The "Upper Crest" Situated At The Top, Making Up The Bulk Of The Population. Thus Creating Ah' Situation Where Blacks (Who Historically Have Ah' Hard Time Positioning Them self In That "Upper Crest", Something Which College Life Could Bring Them Closer To), Are Not Only Alienated By Their Peers, But Are Put En' An Uphill Battle Of Rich\Poor.....And This Is Their College Life.

    It Has Nothing To Do With "Black People Being Everywhere"..But I Am Of The Belief That Black People Of Every Continent And Creed Are Entitled To Ah' Proper Education..Especially At One Of The Most Celebrated Universities On The Planet..I'm Sorry If You Feel Otherwise..It Is Rather Telling Of Your Character And Motives Though.

    As You Look At This Kina' Institutionalized Racism\Classism, It Becomes Apparent The Reasons For The Status And Condition Of Blacks Worldwide (As This Same Thing Is Taking Place Across Europe And To Ah' Lesser Extent En The U.S)
    ah like dis........most celebrated by who and for what reason...........i doh believe in running down other people ting or forcing yuhself on nobody...........if yuh rell like a gal.......she a rell best ting........d total package in everybody eyes........and she doh want yuh because she have she own specific taste...........lewwe say she only like dark men with straight hair...........and you is light fella with channa grain hair..........yuh go still go after she and try to convince she dat you just as good or even better than d kinna fellas she like........or yuh go tell she haul she muddercunt and that it have 2 billion other woman in d world..........dem 2 school is not d only show in town........and they are part of that elitist system.........a system put in place for their people
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio



    LR Advertising LLC

  7. #7
    Potty Mouth Mrs.Bravo's Avatar Mrs.Bravo is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    1,108
    Credits
    138,560
    coincidental of course not, the amount of students trying to get into the russell group universities is enormous, the upper class of course are the majority of these colleges,many students wouldnt even think of applying for Oxbridge because they feel its only for middle/upper class students

    i mean less than 200 black british students apply to Oxford and Cambridge each year, and out of those on average maybe 30 receive a place. Only 200 in the whole of the UK, thats poor

  8. #8
    Registered User iPicong's Avatar iPicong is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    JC/Brazil 2014
    Posts
    51,424
    Credits
    44,178,436
    i on d road go check back later
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio



    LR Advertising LLC

  9. #9
    Registered User Steupz's Avatar Steupz is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    10,883
    Credits
    1,226,784
    This story old... but it doh have much in it.
    There are many people who don't get accepted to any university in England.

    Last year thousands, mostly white, were rejected.
    I know that might be an oddity to Americans but there just aren't enough places.

    This race thing is ah 'black herring'. A lot of these Caribbean students come from a culture where 3 A's and 4 A's mean dey big in the dance.
    It doh work so.

  10. #10
    Registered User Steupz's Avatar Steupz is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    10,883
    Credits
    1,226,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Bravo View Post
    i mean less than 200 black british students apply to Oxford and Cambridge each year, and out of those on average maybe 30 receive a place. Only 200 in the whole of the UK, thats poor
    Poor that 15% - 20% are accepted? That's reasonable to me.

  11. #11
    Potty Mouth Mrs.Bravo's Avatar Mrs.Bravo is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    1,108
    Credits
    138,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    Poor that 15% - 20% are accepted? That's reasonable to me.
    its poor that only 200 people from the UK apply

  12. #12
    Registered User Steupz's Avatar Steupz is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    10,883
    Credits
    1,226,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Bravo View Post
    its poor that only 200 people from the UK apply
    And it will get worse with those increases proposed.

    The real issue is the staff... is it a coincidence that so many Asians on staff now mean so many Asians are accepted?

  13. #13
    Potty Mouth Mrs.Bravo's Avatar Mrs.Bravo is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    1,108
    Credits
    138,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    And it will get worse with those increases proposed.

    The real issue is the staff... is it a coincidence that so many Asians on staff now mean so many Asians are accepted?
    i know, 9,000 for one year is ridiculous

    so many?? im not sure how many but it probably does play a part in the increase

  14. #14
    Registered User Steupz's Avatar Steupz is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    10,883
    Credits
    1,226,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Bravo View Post
    i know, 9,000 for one year is ridiculous

    so many?? im not sure how many but it probably does play a part in the increase
    Not many compared to whites of course but compared to blacks.
    How many blacks are there? 1, 2? I doh see dem.

  15. #15
    Toppa_Toppa
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    This story old... but it doh have much in it.
    There are many people who don't get accepted to any university in England.

    Last year thousands, mostly white, were rejected.
    I know that might be an oddity to Americans but there just aren't enough places.

    This race thing is ah 'black herring'. A lot of these Caribbean students come from a culture where 3 A's and 4 A's mean dey big in the dance.
    It doh work so.
    What about five A's at A Levels? Bio, Chem, French, Spanish and GP? Ranking in the top ten in the two languages? I would think that is decent.

    Cambridge was the only Uni that turned my cousin down, probably because he applied to their Law school - extrememly competitive but his friend got into Oxford probably because he applied to the do Philosophy.
    Last edited by Toppa_Toppa; 12-08-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •