Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TV priest Michael Manning had affair with second cousin

Credits

:box TV priest Michael Manning had affair with second cousin

TV priest Michael Manning takes leave of absence after revealing he had affair with his cousin

Rev. Michael Manning admitted to having an affair with his second cousin.

A popular Roman Catholic priest with a worldwide television ministry has reportedly confessed to having an affair with his cousin more than three years ago.

The Rev. Michael Manning said he broke his vow of celibacy with Nancy Kotowski, a school superintendent in Monterey County, Calif., the San Bernardino County Sun reported Wednesday.

The 59-year-old Kotowski is Manning's second cousin. The sexual relationship came to light after the Sun received intimate correspondences between them.

"The reality is I was living two lives: one as a priest who was vowed to celibacy and another life as a sexually active man in our sexual intimacy," Manning wrote to Kotowski, according to one correspondence the newspaper received.

The two cut off their affair about three years ago when he grew conflicted over the illicit affair, he wrote in the correspondence, according to the newspaper. It was not clear how long the relationship lasted.

"We've been such good friends, and there's a deep love we have for each other," he wrote. "The sexuality was secondary. It's very hard when you care for someone, but I love my priesthood more. I admit the fact of my sinfulness. I've done wrong. That's why I've stopped."

Manning began a Catholic television ministry in 1978 and now appears on "The Word in the World," a weekly show on the Trinity Broadcasting Network.

The priest said Wednesday that he would take a leave of absence from his post with the Diocese of San Bernardino. It is unclear what will happen to his television show.

Kotowski said Wednesday she hoped revelations of the affair would change some of the long-standing rules of the church - mainly the vow of celibacy that priests must take.

"The reality is that we love the church, we're committed to the church, but I'm hoping a dialogue will open up (about) obligatory celibacy, the whole question of celibacy," she told the Monterey Herald. "Is it right for all people?"

She then went on to describe the priest as her "soulmate" and said that they even considered marrying.

"It's a struggle, but we know God is calling to us, so we honor that," she told the newspaper.

nmandell@nydailynews.com

Read more: TV priest Michael Manning takes leave of absence after revealing he had affair with his cousin

Credits
    ok, so why u post dis?

Credits
    The vow of celibacy takes serious self-restraint. Outside of the fact that she is his second cousin, I can understand the desire for intimacy.

...and at least this time it's an adult female.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.BOOMBASTIC View Post
    ok, so why u post dis?
    Do you see any of the dialogue she is speaking about arising from this situation? Do you agree with the celibacy requirement? I'm interested in seeing where people fall on the issue.

Taj
    Credits
    ummm wow.

I could excuse him breaking the vow but damn with his cousin... second cousin is still too damn close your grandparents are brother and sisters or whatever.
    They even look alike the eyes the smile.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    The vow of celibacy takes serious self-restraint. Outside of the fact that she is his second cousin, I can understand the desire for intimacy.

...and at least this time it's an adult female.
    Well cousins are allowed to marry in most US states and most nations worldwide...shocking as people act like it is...it's even allowed in the bible.

The bigger deal is him breaking his vows.

And whether the vows even make sense. Men function better with a strong woman behind them as a partner. "It is not good for man to be alone"...God seh suh.

T-MAKAA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post
    Well cousins are allowed to marry in most US states and most nations worldwide...shocking as people act like it is...it's even allowed in the bible.

And whether the vows even make sense. Men function better with a strong woman behind them as a partner. "It is not good for man to be alone"...God seh suh.
    Lol

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAKAA View Post
    Lol
    what? what'd I say?

T-MAKAA
    what? what'd I say?
    Nothing..Interesting points. Dont totally agree with all..but I understand what you saying.

Credits

goodness gracious lord god
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    preists are suppose to be single for many reasons, its only common sense. if u aren't willig to be single, become a deacon or join another church. preists concern should be on the church and church only, a family would take away from that.

Credits
    You can tek ah hillbilly out the Ozarks but yuh can’t take the Ozarks out of him

Credits

True regarding cousins. It just seems unnecessary for plenty people today since there are so many other options.

I agree that the bigger issue is the vows. Only a small minority of people can really function well without companionship. And you are so right about what God has already spoken on this... So I can't fault him really.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.BOOMBASTIC View Post
    preists are suppose to be single for many reasons, its only common sense. if u aren't willig to be single, become a deacon or join another church. preists concern should be on the church and church only, a family would take away from that.
    I can understand that dedication that the ministry requires. However, is it right to forbid those in service from marrying? The Scriptures don't seem to be in agreement with it. Why do you think that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    You can tek ah hillbilly out the Ozarks but yuh can’t take the Ozarks out of him
    Behave!

T-MAKAA

I'm really not going to comment.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast