Results 1 to 4 of 4


  1. #1
    Former IMIX POSTER Child montREALady's Avatar montREALady is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Brooklyn, NY


    there are more links to the right...

    i have one thing to say, when i heard of this incident and the time it occured, after my shock, and sadness, i said, "i hope the west-indians reach to work late"...i know this is not a joking matter, and i apologize if i've offended anyone, but i believed that had they been running late, they would have avoided being in the building when it collapsed...then i read the express this morning, see fuh allyuh self:

    Relief after tense night

    RENNIE Jones did not sleep at all on Tuesday night. He lay awake thinking about his daughter and grand-daughter who worked at the World Trade Centre in New York.

    After the terrorist attack on the WTC, Jones, who lives in Laventille, told the Express yesterday that he immediately became sick with worry.

    Even though he now knows that the women are safe, he's still sick.

    His 50-year-old daughter, Jennifer, worked at the Morgan Stanley brokerage firm in Tower one, while her daughter, Delores, worked in Tower two.

    Jones said he spent all of Tuesday trying to find the women but it was not until yesterday he found out they were okay.

    His daughter posted a message on the special Internet Express message board created for Trinidadians in New York and Washington DC to let their family know they were safe. Jones said he heard about his daughter's Internet message from TV6. But he couldn't get through to the US until after lunch-time as the phone lines were jammed.

    He said another daughter, Jasmine, who lived with Jennifer and Delores in Brooklyn, told him that the two women were running late for work and were just about to enter the WTC building when the attack occurred.

    Last night he told the Express about his emotional state since Tuesday: "I felt something was wrong, knowing that she worked there. It was a feeling you can't really explain. I didn't sleep last night."

    Jones said he felt some measure of relief knowing that they were safe, "but when you think it could have been your child you can't really have a good feeling".

    Up to last night he was still in bed because he was feeling unwell. He said he did not know when he would be able to talk to Jennifer and Delores because the phone connections were still bad but he hoped to do so soon.

    nb- i am late for work EVERYDAY...

    montREALady :-)
    "2gether we aspire, 2gether we achieve"

  2. #2
    Former IMIX POSTER Child montREALady's Avatar montREALady is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Brooklyn, NY


    another article, expressing that trinis are always late...

    ‘Always late’
    Trinidadians spared
    in Toronto

    THE Trini penchant for being late may have saved the lives of some Trinidadians working at the World Trade Center in New York on Tuesday.

    Trinidadian Dale Harris, who works at the Bank of New York, just one block away from the World Trade Center, said he spoke with several fellow Trinis after the terrorist attack.

    “Many of them told me they came in late for work. They didn’t realise that arriving late may have saved their lives,” a relieved Harris said with a chuckle yesterday.

    Harris, 24, who works as an accountant, told the Express he had stepped off the subway and into his building when the first plane smashed into the World Trade Center.

    “I went outside and I was looking up at the building when minutes later I saw another plane crash into the other structure of the World Trade Center. Debris was flying everywhere. I saw a woman get hit with a piece of the plane’s engine,” he said.

    Harris, who’s originally from Belmont and who has been living in New York for only two months after moving from Atlanta, said he saw many of his Trinidadian friends who worked at the World Trade Center who were late for work.

    “Trinis again, always late,” he remarked in a telephone interview.

    For David Rochard, who hails from Palmiste but who now lives in Brooklyn, it was an unforgettable experience.

    “I was just a few blocks away at Broadway and Chamber streets when I saw the planes crash into the buildings. People were scampering everywhere and screaming. A woman was being trampled and her leg was broken. I pulled her to safety and then looked up and saw gaping black holes in the World Trade Center,” said Rochard.

    As Rochard looked on, he said he witnessed a chain of events he will never forget.

    “I actually saw at least six people jumping out of the windows. It was a sickening sight. It was like I was in a bad dream. To me it was not really even true,” he said.

    Rochard’s 24-year-old son, Joel, said he knew many Trinidadians, Jamaicans and other Caribbean people who worked at the World Trade Center, some of whom he believed perished since they went to work early and worked on the higher floors.

    Jeanine Barnett, who originally lived in Glencoe but who was in Manhattan at the time of the attack, said she saw many women crowd into stores to buy running sneakers.

    “Many of them had taken of their high heels and ran barefeet through the streets before stopping in stores to buy sneakers, and started running uptown and over the bridge,” she said.

    montREALady :-)
    "2gether we aspire, 2gether we achieve"

  3. #3

    satellite image of Manhattan

  4. #4
    Former IMIX POSTER Child montREALady's Avatar montREALady is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Brooklyn, NY


    J'can tells of escape from 82nd floor
    One Jamaican confirmed dead
    BYRON BUCKLEY, Senior Political Reporter
    Thursday, September 13, 2001

    JAMAICAN Norma Hessic was just settling down to breakfast at her desk while poring over notes in preparation for a 10 o'clock meeting when it happened.

    She was on the 82nd floor.

    "All of a sudden I heard boom and felt the building shaking and then I saw fire and debris raining down," she recounted yesterday.

    Although she didn't know it at the time, the boom was a hijacked jet liner plunging into the 96th floor of the 110-floor World Trade Centre, in Manhattan, New York.

    Hessic, a sister of dancer Barry Moncrieffe and a manager at the New York Metropolitan Transportation Council, headed out of office into the hallway. It was, she remembered, "totally black".

    But like other colleagues, she headed for the stairs, on a slow, single-file march out of the building.

    One her way down, her group was passed by emergency workers going up. A young man offered her water. She declined.

    With the billowing dust and smoke into which he was heading, she thought he would need it more.

    Now Hessic is convinced that that the worker and his colleagues made it to the top.

    "I knew they did not make it back down," she remarked in a telephone interview.

    It took her about an hour to reach the streets below. She can't recall being passed on the way down by the emergency workers who were going up.

    "I wasn't out the building ten minutes when we heard boom," she said.

    The damaged tower from which she had not much longer emerged had collapsed.

    In the time it had taken her to get down, a second plane had already rammed into the second of the World Trade Centre's twin towers and a third hijacked plane had plunged into a section of the Pentagon in Washington.

    "We started running down the streets for our lives," said Hessic. "I just happened to run across a building across the street and stayed there because people were trampling each other."

    It was than she noted the other damaged tower and saw human body parts lying around. She was just grasping that she had survived the a major terrorist action in the heart of America, and aimed at one of the great symbols of US potency.

    "I just lost it," Hessic said.

    She, however, was not seriously hurt.

    "I happy to discover later that another Jamaican co-worker, Ashley Tyrell, had also escaped unharmed," Hessic said.

    Hessic and Tyrell are among several Jamaicans who worked at the World Trade Centre or nearby buildings.
    Yesterday, Jamaican officials in New York were attempting to determine how many of them may have been victims of the terrorist action.

    At least one Jamaican male was reported late yesterday as confirmed dead.

    Earlier in the day, Dr Basil Bryan, Jamaica's consul general in New York, told the Observer that a Jamaican woman had reported that her husband, a financial analyst who worked on tower one of the World Trade Centre building, was missing.

    Meanwhile Kirk Howard, nephew of Tommy Cowan, music promoter, was severely burned in the inferno at the World Trade Centre, Cowan told the Observer yesterday.

    Howard, who left Jamaica as a young child, 30 years ago, and worked in the computer industry on the World Trade Centre building, is now a patient in the Cornell Medical Centre.

    In Washington, Oneil Hamilton, information attaché at the Jamaican Embassy, said the situation was "still fluid" but he expected that Jamaicans were likely to be among those affected in the disaster.

    montREALady :-)
    "2gether we aspire, 2gether we achieve"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts