Thread: Toronto offers amnesty to curb gun violence

Credits

Toronto offers amnesty to curb gun violence

I think this is a great idea and should be attempted in other cities... thoughts ??

TORONTO (Reuters) - Trying to cope with an unprecedented wave of gun violence in a city that has prided itself on its peacefulness and safety, Toronto police announced an amnesty on Friday for anyone handing in a gun.

The program, which applies to owners of both illegal and legal guns, is the latest attempt by police to curtail the rising number of shooting deaths in the city. No one handing in a gun during November will be charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

"If, through this amnesty, we get even one gun off the street it will have been worthwhile," said Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant. "One gun turned in could mean lives saved and families preserved."

Toronto, Canada's biggest city, has had 65 homicides so far this year, of which 45 have been shooting deaths. Last year, there were a total of 27 shooting deaths.

Toronto still boasts a low homicide rate compared with similarly-sized U.S. cities. Last year, Toronto had 64 murders, whereas Detroit and Chicago had 385 and 450 respectively.

The amnesty is part of a project aimed at getting guns out of the hands of young people, most of whom live in relatively poor suburban areas that have become havens for gangs, on which most of the violence has been blamed.

Police say that so far this year about 1,200 guns have been seized. The amnesty program hopes to raise that number significantly.

Credits
    NYC did this like 10 years ago and were giving a gift with each exchange

Credits
    They do that kind of thing in DC...or at least I remember some time ago they did. No questions asked, just turn in the gun. I think they offered money or something. Still nuff violence though, so i doubt it would really help all that much. People can turn in whatever guns, but someone else will be obtaining one.

Credits
    they have done it here in miami also I think its a farce.. you really think the criminal minded going to voluntarily go in a police station and give up the tool that helps them conduct business... please

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinibaje
    they have done it here in miami also I think its a farce.. you really think the criminal minded going to voluntarily go in a police station and give up the tool that helps them conduct business... please
    Basically...or it will be the people who "retired," from their lifestyle, all the while one of their kids is off doing the same BS they grew up doing.

Credits
    yeah i guess you are all right that things will won't really change that much however, i also think it sorta nice symbolic gesture especially to families that have been victims of gun violence...

Credits
    I aint even know yall had crime up in canada
    “I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure–which is:
    Try to please everybody” Herbert Bayard Swope

Credits
    This is something the police forces in the UK have been doing from time to time for years.They expand it to incude other weapons as well.
    Problem is the weapons in the possession of criminals are probably not handed in ssso wether it has any impact on criminality is debateable.

chrza
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinadian
    ya man, my igloo got robbed the other day.

I dunno, I think if this this program saves even ONE life, it's worth it. One less gun on the street means one less gun on the black market for sale, or one less gun to be stolen, or one less gun to be obtained by a child or other irresponsible types.

Personally, I think they should just make firearms illegal for anyone to have except for law enforcement. No one needs a gun.

Juksan Stabbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinadian
    Yeh...shit happens when we shoot at passing polar bears an miss, hitting innocent by-standers across the lake. Hey likkleancute...you still gaw dah pet beaver??...