Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Colleges Take More Blacks, but Which Ones?

Toppa_Toppa

Top Colleges Take More Blacks, but Which Ones?

http://www.uh.edu/ednews/2004/nytime...24harvard.html

In essence they're saying that the majority of the Black students are West Indian, and if they're not West Indian they're African. And some Black Americans are getting upset because they're saying that affirmative action was intended to help those Blacks who have been in America for generations and who's families suffered under Jim Crow. Do you agree with this? Or do you think that everyone should get an equal opportunity regardless.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa

In essence they're saying that the majority of the Black students are West Indian, and if they're not West Indian they're African. And some Black Americans are getting upset because they're saying that affirmative action was intended to help those Blacks who have been in America for generations and who's families suffered under Jim Crow. Do you agree with this? Or do you think that everyone should get an equal opportunity regardless.
    IF YOU MAKE THE GRADE THEN YOU GET THE CHANCE,...If not dont facking cry about, Affirmative was made for 'blacks' in america, not american blacks, I say to them,...PAY for the damn kaplan test prep and stop B!tching,.....now ill go read the article

Credits

I have heard this debate over and over after going to school in the South. I have a problem with affirmative action being looked at as something meant to really help black ppl. It was really for all disenfranchised groups and it has been proven that the only group that has been known to really benefit are White females.

Credits
    From my observation..Africans & Caribbean ppl as well as ppl w/ Caribbean heritage show a work ethic which I don't normally see in African Americans, hence we make the grade quicker. This is just my observation folks.

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by WadadliEmpress
    IF YOU MAKE THE GRADE THEN YOU GET THE CHANCE,...If not dont facking cry about, Affirmative was made for 'blacks' in america, not american blacks, I say to them,...PAY for the damn kaplan test prep and stop B!tching,.....now ill go read the article
    *high five*

But from my perspective, fromthe kind of society I grew up in, I wouldn't really push for Affirmative action for myself b/c I'll feel as if I'll be getting something unfairly and people who really deserve it would be excluded. I could empathise with Black American who experienced segregation and all that mess eh but I know that if I met all the requirements and somebody excluded me because they wanted to get in more Black children (the way how white people might feel) I would feel ah how, and then I could still feel a how because of how they saying that there should be more African Americans in harvard than West Indians, then I would feel as if they victimising me dreads, cause of my ethnicity.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trinidarkie
    I have heard this debate over and over after going to school in the South. I have a problem with affirmative action being looked at as something meant to really help black ppl. It was really for all disenfranchised groups and it has been proven that the only group that has been known to really benefit are White females.
    hmmmmmm, not the first time hearing it,hmmmm off to research, cause would be real facked up,..but i would'nt be surprised

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by SkoolboY
    From my observation..Africans & Caribbean ppl as well as ppl w/ Caribbean heritage show a work ethic which I don't normally see in African Americans, hence we make the grade quicker. This is just my observation folks.
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised but that's because we left our country to come to America, so obviously we came with the intention to work like crazy so that we could get the maximum benefits. If we wanted to sky-lark then we coulda stay where we came from.

Toppa_Toppa
    Yuh know them shit face topics does get all kinda 10 pages! Cause look how peopl rush my nuts post. But one that sparking the intellect only ge'ing 5 replies. When ah tell yuh!

Toppa_Toppa
    :devil Somebody better F*cking post before ah some cuss in allyuh tail.

Credits
    :devil Somebody better F*cking post before ah some cuss in allyuh tail.

awaits de cussing

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by WadadliEmpress

awaits de cussing

Credits
    hmm no cussing?

Credits

Affirmative Action was also aimed in helping women and other minorities.. it was just that Blacks were more vocal and (violent) about it

Toppa_Toppa
    Well if you listen to Black people here you'd sear that it's only that group that's supposed to be benefitting from Affirmative action.

Credits

Thank you Toppa Toppa. I was actually looking for this article for the other thread regarding West Indians/West Indian-Americans. I can understand the logic here but affirmation action does not just help Black Americans but also other minorities. That means that regardless, West Indians and Africans are groups that will benefit from it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast