Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Texas Students Revolt Against Mandatory RFID Tracking Chips

LB
    Credits

Texas Students Revolt Against Mandatory RFID Tracking Chips

I just came across this from a link of a link on a FB page I subscribe to. I havent read anything in-depth on this yet, so if anyone can provide more information and/or opinions that would be great. Is this as scary as it sounds or is this blog just hyping the sensationalism for its own agenda?

======================
    Students and parents at two San Antonio schools are in revolt over a program that forces kids to wear RFID tracking name tags which are used to pinpoint their location on campus as well as outside school premises.

Students at John Jay High School and Anson Jones Middle School will be mandated to wear the tags from today which will be used to track them on campus as well as when they enter and leave school.
    Andrea Hernandez is leading a group of students who refuse to wear the tags because in her words, “It makes me uncomfortable. It’s an invasion of my privacy,” she told KSN.com.
    Hernandez is being backed by parents and privacy experts like Dr. Katherine Albrecht who point out that the spy chips are more about making money than keeping students safe, as the schools claim.
    By reducing truancy and tardiness, the school stands to net $2 million dollars in state funding.
    A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Hernandez points out that the system is all but useless because students will just leave their tag in their locker or hand it to a friend to avoid being monitored.
    Parents and students have rallied to organize a protest against the spy chips which is set to take place today.
    Hernandez also fears that the RFID chips could be used to track students outside of school, a valid concern given past examples of how such technology has been abused by school officials.
    In 2010, the Lower Merion School District in Pennsylvania used school-issued laptops to spy on kids in their own home. The controversy ignited after student Blake Robbins was disciplined for “improper behavior in his home”. It turned out that school officials had installed software on the laptops that used the computer’s webcam to send images back to the school server every 15 seconds.
    Hernandez also pointed out that sexual predators could use the tracking system to stalk children because the RFID tag continues to send a signal even after students have left school premises.
    “With a smart phone you can use the option to use your locator but this I can’t turn it off,” Hernandez said.
    As we reported earlier this week, similar programs where students are tracked both inside and outside school are already in operation across the country.
    Children in nine Austin schools are being forced to carry around GPS tracking devices everywhere they go under the justification of preventing truancy. The kids are also assigned a “mentor” with whom they must check in several times a day.
    Such a system is hardly much different from prisoners who are mandated to wear a GPS ankle bracelet and regularly check in with parole officers.
    Indeed, treating schoolchildren like prisoners in anticipation for their introduction into outside world, a surveillance state in which they are also expected to acquiesce to an omnipresent big brother, is seemingly the ultimate goal of such programs.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

DSP
    Credits
    Since the laptop story, I havn't read or heard anything about chips or tracking students. I guess that would get the younger generation used to being monitored. Start anything early enough and you form a pattern. I don't even like chips in animals, much less human beings.
    Unfortunately, stupidity and ignorance can be entertaining.

Goodle this you 50 year old crusty vagina

--oh yes jigger boozers ever lasting wahr with the "lovers of empresses and hafrican queens" should be ashamed ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

--I like disrespect especially ones that dont involve cursing and nugga nugga nugga watch subject matter ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    Since the laptop story, I havn't read or heard anything about chips or tracking students. I guess that would get the younger generation used to being monitored. Start anything early enough and you form a pattern. I don't even like chips in animals, much less human beings.
    That's exactly what this sounds like..make it the norm and soon it won't even make news.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Students and rights? Joke!
    These fools need to grow up and use the tag.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    Students and rights? Joke!
    These fools need to grow up and use the tag.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    When parents talk, I'll listen. These runts have no rights.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    When parents talk, I'll listen. These runts have no rights.
    Parents and students have rallied to organize a protest against the spy chips which is set to take place today
    Besides, plenty time the kids have more sense than adults.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Besides, plenty time the kids have more sense than adults.
    Sense?
    They are railing against their own protection and using specious, foolish arguments that a predator can track them.
    Who would object to their children being monitored at school?
    And you have this moron saying they can just remove it. Sure they can and then those monitoring will know and take action.

I don't get it. Children being properly and scientifically monitored is a good thing.

Credits
    This program is severely flawed! I would understand if parents can turn it off when they get home. If parents had that type of control then it could be rationalized given the explanation, without those controls that seems like bullshit to mask an intrusion. Once they make it where the parents get a code or better yet their thumb print is what is used to control activation and deactivation as well as allowing parents the ability to share tracking data then I could back them.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bo$$ View Post
    This program is severely flawed! I would understand if parents can turn it off when they get home. If parents had that type of control then it could be rationalized given the explanation, without those controls that seems like bullshit to mask an intrusion. Once they make it where the parents get a code or better yet their thumb print is what is used to control activation and deactivation as well as allowing parents the ability to share tracking data then I could back them.
    I'm on the fence about this program... I think it would make more sense if parents were involved as Big Boss stated. It's all well and good that the kids are monitored for the safety, but we've all seen that abuse can come from teachers and and school administrators. So in order to maintain checks and balances, the parents should be involved and should definitely have access to the data, tracking process and activation/deactivation of the device.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    I didn't even consider the outside of the school monitoring because the report cited a past case but in the instant case they only said something like 'could be used'.

To me, this is perfect for school and school environs monitoring.

Credits
    Wow, besides all the other stuff stated, no one has a problem w/ the basic principle of children being treated like animals cause its scientific. I can see where this world is going.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Wow, besides all the other stuff stated, no one has a problem w/ the basic principle of children being treated like animals cause its scientific. I can see where this world is going.
    Weren't you in support of removing a man from a seat because 1 in ten million male passengers could be a paedophile or a sicko?

Credits
    have nothing to do with treating like animals. If this can allow school officials to reasonably ensure that the children are where they should be during school hours (especially as a tool to fight truancy) then there is nothing wrong with it. Once a child leaves school however and lets say have to meet mommy at the mall and they happen to get home late for any reason, that shouldn't be information for anyone to have and potentially use against child or parent. How are they being treated like animals? Isn't herding them into one location to eat lunch treating them like cattle?

Nica uz ah nexx one who stingy wid de likes aought?!!
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    I do not agree with having people wearing tags in order to monitor them.
    DSP and BacchanalDiva like this.
    Chen ki japé pa mòde!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast