Thread: Tell me if I'm being paranoid.

Toppa_Toppa

Tell me if I'm being paranoid.

Article in the Guardian UK

Bold and confident v shy and retiring: Michelle and Cindy square up

One is the 44-year-old descendant of slaves who gives passionate speeches on the campaign trail and is a fan of Stevie Wonder. The other is a multimillionaire businesswoman, 10 years older, who keeps in the background and prefers the Rolling Stones.

The article goes on to compare and contrast both women.

I didn't like how Michells Obama was just a "descendant of slaves" despite her many accomplishments and accolades but Mrs McCain was a multi-millioaire business woman. If they wanted a proper contrast, why didn't they say that she was a descendant of slave masters. And I know the nit-pickers would come and say "well there's no evidence that McCain was a descendant of slave owners" but the point thye shouldn't define Michelle Obama her as being a descendant of slaves. That rubbed me the wrong way.

The rest of the article isn't that bad though.

Bold and confident v shy and retiring: Michelle and Cindy square up | World news | The Guardian

CocoErotika
    It isnt a fair comparison. but hey that's being black in america

Credits
    Quite interesting. When describing Mrs. McCain, they mention her professional credentials outright, but it is not the same for Mrs. Obama. Sure, they mention Mrs. Obama's professional credentials in the article, but obviously they felt being a descendant of slaves was so defining of her that it should be mentioned first and foremost.

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    Quite interesting. When describing Mrs. McCain, they mention her professional credentials outright, but it is not the same for Mrs. Obama. Sure, they mention Mrs. Obama's professional credentials in the article, but obviously they felt being a descendant of slaves was so defining of her that it should be mentioned first and foremost.
    Exactly. That was unfair in my opinion.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa View Post
    Exactly. That was unfair in my opinion.
    Yes and tasteless. But that's how much of the election media coverage has been...