Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Is Tavis Smiley is Jealous of President Obama!

MJ7
    Credits

Cool Is Tavis Smiley is Jealous of President Obama!

Tavis Smiley has patterned himself as the keeper of Black America. Our gatekeeper of sorts. He's been at it for over 30 years and if anyone has paid attention to him lately; it is obvious that he does not like President Obama. I noticed it during the first election race. Tavis had several people on his show summizing the future president and it just appeared to me that he couldn't muster up a compliment of any kind. This went on until Obama won. Everyone was happy--except Tavis. Moment after moment, Tavis would criticize Obama for many things; then he and Dr. Cornell West decide to do the Poverty Tour. Now, mind you, I find it noble to champion the cause of those who are economically deprived; but both Tavis and Dr. West are very rich men. Yet, they criticize many of the policies of Obama.

More recently, Tavis has made negative comments because in his opinion, he didn't feel that Obama is the reality of Dr. Martin Luther King's dream--just a down payment. His words.

A footnote to this: As a child, Tavis was so good at memorizing and performing Dr. King's speeches, he got paid. This continued in college. More frankly, Tavis always saw himself as the legacy to Dr. King's Dream....then Obama came along and messed it up.

Most of us who are over 35 got to know Travis when he was a guest host on BET in the early days. Now he has his own talk show (if you wanna call it that) on PBS. He's come a long way.

I could go on and on...but you get the point.

Reading through all of it, I just have to be real and say that in my honest opinion; Tavis is jealous of the President.

What do you think?

TweetaFineeta likes this.
    Get your copy!!! A Journey Into The Mind of a Black Woman is now available at: https://www.createspace.com/3739335 and Amazon.com. Come check out my blog: The Uppity Sistah! at: http://theuppitysistah.blogspot.com/

Credits
    hmm didnt know Tavis smiley was still on the air.. i thought he went the route of arsenio hall (who like that famed cat we thought was a goner.. keeps coming back).. interesting.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

MJ7
    Credits

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    hmm didnt know Tavis smiley was still on the air.. i thought he went the route of arsenio hall (who like that famed cat we thought was a goner.. keeps coming back).. interesting.
    No, he's still on...his show comes on at odd times during the wee hours in the morning.
    Get your copy!!! A Journey Into The Mind of a Black Woman is now available at: https://www.createspace.com/3739335 and Amazon.com. Come check out my blog: The Uppity Sistah! at: http://theuppitysistah.blogspot.com/

Credits
    Nah Tavis is on PBS and nightly i believe....and he gets really respectable people to guest on his show.

I like Tavis and respect his opinion but disagree with him here.
    Triniminx and MJ7 like this.
    I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

Credits
    Well the man agenda just differs from that of the president, both he and Cornel have in their minds (much like everyone else) what they think the president should be doing for black people.
    MJ7 and shortsweetness like this.

Credits
    ...clearly u don't know who he is...im pretty shocked... I thought Tavis was FOR the people...

Credits
    clearly i don't know who he is ?? .. what? i don't watch channel that Tavis Smiley would be on.. i dont have a clue what you're attempting to say.. at all.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    the comparison to Arsenio is ridics...I don't watch him either, anymore, but thats like comparing apples and rocks...but whatever
    rayt2009 likes this.

Credits
    the comparison to arsenio hall is not that difficult..both people who were very popular back in the day then just faded out of view, even though they're clearly still around, just not in the limelight.. i mean it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out.. then again not everybody is blessed with that ability... ...

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    oh brother ...again, just say u doh kno who Tavis is nuh

Credits
    Decent string MJ7.

In terms of Tavis' quitting, I don't think flack for criticizing the president would make him quit ... he has many mediums he can exercise his opinions about Obama on, and hasn't shied to do so. I think that the real reason is not being discussed - in fact, the fact that he opened his own statement on the issue by exclaiming his respect for the person who is claiming he is quitting over his Obama scrutiny should tip you off.

My personal view is that Obama will be scrutinized like any other president. Like you, I have seen Tavis from BET days (even though I am not over 35 lol), and up to now where you see him as a panelist on CNN.

It seems that you have some black people that view Obama as a token, acceptable representative of the black community, but who is not black enough in terms of complexion or life-experience. They even resent the circle President Obama is apart of. I think Tavis falls into this category.

I understand challenging President Obama's decisions and holding him under the same microscope that people would for any president, but at times, when you listen to certain commentary, it seems clear that some of the commentary is more a reflection of his view about him them and their position, rather than President Obama's performance. It seems like he has specific views about what a black president is supposed to do for black people and feels President Obama hasn't done this - as opposed to viewing his presidency holistically like one would any other president.

I feel like if one is going to be honest about his performance to date, while he hasn't been perfect, President Obama has been more effective, and acted with more interest in the people than most presidents and if he wasn't democrat or black people might acknowledge that.
    Triniminx and MJ7 like this.
    ─╤╦︻ Ordem e Progresso ︻╦╤─

"Now doesn't it make you feel better?
    The pigs have won tonight.
    Now they can all sleep soundly,
    and everything is all right."

Credits
    i feel allyuh so does just prattle on to give some signs of life yes.. not because there is anything to actually impart.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    i feel allyuh so does just prattle on to give some signs of life yes.. not because there is anything to actually impart.
    Are you talking to/about me?
    ─╤╦︻ Ordem e Progresso ︻╦╤─

"Now doesn't it make you feel better?
    The pigs have won tonight.
    Now they can all sleep soundly,
    and everything is all right."

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TweetaFineeta View Post
    I feel like if one is going to be honest about his performance to date, while he hasn't been perfect, President Obama has been more effective, and acted with more interest in the people than most presidents and if he wasn't democrat or black people might acknowledge that.
    +1...People like to watch the media spin rather than pay attention to the facts... and those who don't base his successes on gas prices

Credits
    some of these black pundits always want the black politicians to follow THEIR agenda and once it don't go along with that stream of thought then they are the first ones to criticize and try to tear them down.. some dont want a more inclusive governance, they want it focused on the black community first and foremost..
    shortsweetness likes this.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast