Thread: Tasting of elements/African wedding...HELP!!!

Credits

Tasting of elements/African wedding...HELP!!!

Can someone help me ...I have been searching google for two days trying to find a program/agenda for an African wedding....we are incorporating tasting of elements into the wedding and I cannot find out which part of the ceremony that takes place....HELP PLEASE!!!!

Credits
    You know I want someone to explain why many still practice the jumping of the broom. Cause if I am not mistaken, isn't it because during slavery that was the only way that slaves could 'carry out the marriage vows' since marriage was not accepted. But why would you want to celebrate something like that when you now have the freedom to have a public wedding?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Prinzez Diva
    You know I want someone to explain why many still practice the jumping of the broom. Cause if I am not mistaken, isn't it because during slavery that was the only way that slaves could 'carry out the marriage vows' since marriage was not accepted. But why would you want to celebrate something like that when you now have the freedom to have a public wedding?
    More times it's a way to remember....now it's become more of a symbol to honor ancestors....

We are doing it in the wedding I am planning now...the bride is getting married in her home town to where many of her ancestors were slaves and this is one way she is honouring them ...along with libation and tasting of elements....

Credits
    Lol...take care the damn bride dont trip over the broom

Credits
    you bite more than you can chew

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadJockey
    you bite more than you can chew

DED ....dat eh rel helpful boi..how yuh wicked so

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Prinzez Diva
    that is highly disputed.

and there is at least one west-african custom that is fairly similar to the AA broom-jumping.

it would seem to make some sense that, like most of our customs, it was adapted from the culture we brought west with us...rather than something enslaved Africans made up out of the blue.

Credits
    Guys guys guys guys...stay focused!!!

I got the jumping of the broom downpacked...it's the tasting of elements i need placed and I am not sure where to place it!!!! HELP!!!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Xtremist
    that is highly disputed.

and there is at least one west-african custom that is fairly similar to the AA broom-jumping.

it would seem to make some sense that, like most of our customs, it was adapted from the culture we brought west with us...rather than something enslaved Africans made up out of the blue.
    exactly

the gullah people off the coast of georgia and the geishe in south carolina,have maintained an authentic african culture society, practice those rituals.
    Last edited by Essiquibo; 06-21-2006 at 12:13 PM.

Wah mek yuh brazen so? sapodilla brownin's Avatar sapodilla brownin is offline
    Credits
    what are tasting elements though ?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Essiquibo
    exactly

the gullah people of the coast of georgia and the geishe in south carolina, how have maintained an authentic african culture society, practice those rituals.
    that too is true

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sapodilla brownin
    what are tasting elements though ?
    It's from the Yoruba tradition if I am not mistaken...the bride n groom taste elements/flavors that represent different emotion within a relationship...sour times (lemon), bitter (vingear), hot (cayenne pepper), and sweet (honey)....hard times (kola nuts)...symbolic of the couples ability to get through hard times in life and enjoy the sweetness of marriage

Credits
    what is an African wedding? Africa is a big place with many different traditions. Is an African wedding just a little taken from each African countries or tribes traditions?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by JACHINYGAL
    Guys guys guys guys...stay focused!!!

I got the jumping of the broom downpacked...it's the tasting of elements i need placed and I am not sure where to place it!!!! HELP!!!!
    that should be down-pat by the way

A while ago I found this webpage that went to great detail about a number of African wedding customs....

unfortunately the page is saved on my home computer I'll see if there's anything in there to help you later on.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache
    what is an African wedding? Africa is a big place with many different traditions. Is an African wedding just a little taken from each African countries or tribes traditions?
    well I would have to say yes to the second statement...I went broad because some people might not be aware of the actual tribes/areas that these customs came from....however to be more specific ...tasting of elements is a Yoruba tradition