Thread: T&T, OECS move closer to political, economic union

Credits

T&T, OECS move closer to political, economic union

Trinidad and Tobago and the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) have moved one step closer to economic and political union. They did so yesterday with the formal presentation of the report of a task force appointed to formulate the mechanism for union.

It was presented by task force chairman Prof Vaughn Lewis to the four Caricom prime ministers who signed the original joint declaration in Port-of-Spain last August. Among the leaders present at the ceremony were the four original signatories of the Joint Declaration for the union. They were Grenada Prime Minister Tillman Thomas, St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves, St Lucia Prime Minister Stephenson King and T&T Prime Minister Patrick Manning.

Speaking at the presentation ceremony at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann’s, Manning described the report as “an excellent document.” He said the report would not be released to the public before it was taken to the cabinet of the respective countries this week. He said the report would be released on Saturday. He then advised the media that “there is nothing sinister in any delay...it’s a deliberate decision to ensure that the (regional) governments are properly advised before we make the document public.”

Manning, who indicated that he has had a preliminary look at the report, said he was “extremely pleased by what I have seen so far of that document.” He said since the break-up of the West Indies Federation in the early 1960s, it had been “a dream ever since to reintroduce political integration in the Caribbean in some form.” Manning said he believed that the latest development “takes us a significant step towards the re-enactment or the re-creation of that one political space to which we have aspired in the Caribbean for a very long time.”

He said the next step will be based on the actions of the regional governments to take the appropriate decisions. When contacted last night for his comment on the unity move, Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday said he did not know what Manning was seeking to do by moving for economic and political union with the OECS. Panday said all Manning would cause would be a further fragmentation of the wider regional grouping, Caricom.

T&T, OECS move closer to political, economic union | The Trinidad Guardian

Credits
    So wud TNT use EC?

Gladiator
    they have been moving closer for a very long time now lol...I will hold my comments about this to myself...I just have to look at this over zealous fool and laugh.and alot of people in T&T doing the same..him need to pay more attention and give higher priority to what is happening in his country right now..

Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Insane View Post
    So wud TNT use EC?
    Nope...thats not part of the agenda..

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant View Post
    Nope...thats not part of the agenda..
    ok.

cuz one ting i doh support is one caricom currency... when certain countries join de money value wil;l hit rock bottom.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant View Post
    they have been moving closer for a very long time now lol...I will hold my comments about this to myself...I just have to look at this over zealous fool and laugh.and alot of people in T&T doing the same..him need to pay more attention and give higher priority to what is happening in his country right now..
    Grenada might join ALBA before the next "close move"

Credits
    I have to COMMEND the VINCY PRIME MINISTER of TRINIDAD and TOBAGO, Patrick Manning, for his ASTUTE REALIZATION that an ECONOMIC UNION with these NATIONS (3/4 of the AFRO POPULATION of TRINIDAD can TRACE their ROOTS to these ISLANDS) is SOUND POLICY. And yes, the EC DOLLAR will be the CURRENCY of CHOICE.

YUHHHHH SEEEE MEEEEEE