Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUPPORT SOCA!!!!!!

Credits

SUPPORT SOCA!!!!!!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-01 AT 09:04 AM (EST)[/font][p]"The Calypso/Soca industry has been in dire straits over recent years with piracy continuing to plague its economic stability. It is felt that if this is not aggressively pursued, the industry will soon collapse. To fight off that dilemma, International Calypso/Soca Week will urge all lovers of the music around the world to positively defy bootleggers by purchasing authentic products. This will demonstrate how much they genuinely care about the music they profess to love so much. To broaden the international market for the music, people will also be encouraged to buy and make gifts of Calypso/Soca products to their friends, co-workers, neighbors etc. who come from countries where this music is not very popular."

People, this is the truth. We sit and chat about how we are soca jumbies, yet we always ready to go out and by bootleg. Lets start showing REAL support for our artists by buying their records and not buying them off the street. What is everyone's opinion of this?

God Bless!

Credits

RE: SUPPORT SOCA!!!!!!

I understand what you are saying but on the same note it is very hard to find authentic soca cd's. When I go to Tower records, Strawberries or even local chains they never have anything. The bootleggers on the other hand has everything. Out of all the times that I've brought soca/calypso, only 2 were authentic(Krosfyah , Square One in full bloom. When I purchase reggae, I always by the real thing because I would love to see the artist get the credit they deserve. If I could find outlets that sell authentic soca/calypso cd's, I would support the artists and buy them!

Credits

If I'm not being too forward, can you please let me know what city you live in because I would definitely provide you with info on where to get records.

God Bless!

Credits

Many of the artists/record labels have websites where you can get the cd's via the mail. The reason that you can't find them in the record stores is because Soca has not progressed to the point that Reggae has, which is why we should stop buying bootlegs. There is a demand for the music, that is why the bootleggers supply it and make money. If we stopped patronizing them and requested the music from the record stores, they would realize the demand for it and the potential for income and therefore make an effort to supply us with Soca.

Personally, I always buy an artists/bands entire album from the record store. (In NY J&W Records or VP Records usually have all the music.) I buy bootleg compilations to get a good mix for the year.

Blessings!!!

Credits

I agree lland and brownskin... All I buy is soca music and the authentic things too.. When you go to a soca fest the artist does be selling deh CD's there... I know Square One is always pushing their CD's when they perform... There is really no excuse for buying bootleg.. C'mon I live in de back-bush of South Miami where it can be days before I see someone black much less West Indian and I always get my authentic CD...

NO EXCUSE

Credits

I live in Boston. There is several Outlets were you can get West Indian Music like, taurus records, Gemini, Laxton records and Vibe. Vibe records for instance is never open. The owner always advertise that he have this record and that record but the store is never open.

I would love to support the artists, Don't get me wrong. For instance, this year I wanted Traffik, Bunji, and Xtatik. I called everyewhere for them and no one had them. This guy who sell bootleg cd's had Xtatik so i brought it. I know you can buy stuff off the internet but I am do not trust giving out my credit card information.

I pick up alot of cd's from vp records like reggae gold and soca gold from strawberries. Strawberries carries alot of cd's that is on the VP label.

If anyone knows of any outlets in the Boston area that sells authentic cd's please let me know . Thanks!

Credits

And you know what I find to be strange? How many islands produce soca music and calypso music? How many produce reggae music? There should be no reason why the WIZ dont have KMC new album or WCK new album.
    I support bying authentic cds. The soca buisness is hard because the artists are not making money off their cds. They are really bringing home $ through fetes and other shows.
    I go spend meh money at JW, VP, Spice Island (where they got some good roti two blocks down, hard to find a place so in Queens!!!) to support meh friends and favorite artists.

Peace and Love
    socababy

Credits

dat is the exact point i was going to make...so ill say it again to stress it.

We have to ask and nag and nag and nag for soca cds in the store. Ask for soca cds. Ask for a countries music. Ask for the artist. Ask for the song. Give them as much information as possible while asking.

Also, on pirating, would uploading songs on the internet be called pirating too? Like in the a/v room? I don't think so, b/c its like a radio station sort of. Is downloading piracy? To me: yeah. But the internet music is also helpful with taking the music forward. Cause the person who downloads a song they heard at a club and listen to it all year...probably wouldn't have bought the CD for that song. But lata on, they would have come to like the music some more and next year might buy a cd or 2. But then there are those cheap @sses who download every sh*t on de net. Im part guilty too ;-).

http://bigchunes.com
    some would say this is piracy, but i say its promotion.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Soca music lives through you, so tek care of yuhself
    ichard

Credits

if you want to get the music, you have to go to laxton early. find out when the album is dropping and have laxton hold it for you. laxton can also back order cd's for you. another thing that you can do with laxton is develop a personal relation ship with the store so they know your face. when they get stuff they think you would like, they will call you. that's how i get my music.

Credits

brownskintrini, I like the message you are trying to convey and I agree with you...I will admit that at first I would by the bootleg but when I realized that the artists don't make that much money I thought that by purcahsing the authentic versions that I would be helping rather than hurting. If people like charmed wants to get authentic music they should call JW records, strakers and caribbean music brokers and they will mail the music when the receive it..thats the only way we canget started to support the music we profess to love

I LIKE THE IDEA OF MAKING GIFTS THAT REFLECT THE CULTURE

SEXY G.T. QUEEN

MORE FIRE

I WOULD SUPPORT IT TOO BUT IT IS SO HARD TO GET THEIR MUSIC AND I BELIEVE EVERYONE AGREES.

Credits

I'm not understanding why it's so difficult to get the music. Even if the major record stores don't have the music we have our own caribbean stores (in New York) which carry the music like strakers, j&w, vp, spice island (queens and the bronx), charlies' records and a whole host of others. Is the problem being able to get to these stores because I am sure that everyone have been to one of these stores before in order to get fete tickets. When I stop by a store to get a ticket for a party I can't help but browse and see what music selections are available.

Credits

You are right. NY does have alot of stores to by these cd's but we all don't live in ny.

La banda chula, I will try laxton records next time.I usually go to them for tickets for shows so from now on...

Credits

THATS RIGHT WE HAVE TO BUY THE ORIGINAL CD AND STOP WITH THE BOOTLEG.......MAKE THE EFFORT ...IS NOT JUST THE ENTERTAINERS RELYING ON THIS ,IS WE TOO BECAUSE WE WANT THE MUSIC TO GROW !!

Credits

A Different SPIN RE: SUPPORT SOCA!!!!!!

Let me put another spin on this subject!
    First of all buying pirate copies is wrong!
    But anybody who think buying pirate music will stop is living in a fantasy world!
    Secondly, pirates are HELPING soca artiste! YES I said helping! Why? Because they are reaching an audience that would not otherwise buy Soca CDs! Its simple Economics! People who cant afford to pay $15 will buy for $5 so more people hear the music! Do you people really believe that if piracy stopped artiste would make more money? Thats an unproven fantasy!
    Why did Microsoft give away their browser for years when they were no. 2 behind Netscape? So more people, a greater audience would check out their product! NOW Microsoft browser is NO. ONE!
    Thirdly, have you noticed its the artiste who are not popular, or dont have a big hit or are not in great demand who complain the most?
    The ecomonic reality is this! The profits from records have always been slim with the exception of huge megastars and dead ledgends! That is why you hear about artiste selling millions of records and still filing for banckruptcy!
    The big money has always been in live shows and tours!
    Lastly, the fact that an artiste is being pirated is a testament that his stuff is good and hot! Thats why there are much more R&B and Reggae Albums pirated than Soca and the fact that Soca is being pirated is actually a sign that the music is being recognized more.
    Thats my pirtated 2cents!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast