Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suburbia

Credits

Suburbia

What do you guys think of suburbia being the model for the American Dream? Do you think it represents the ideal American Dream? You know. The 2 story house with the big back yard. A nice car. And two kids.

You think that's overrated?

Kakez868
    It's All Relative To One's Personal Likes And Dislikes, This Idea That It Have Ah' Universally Accepted "American Dream" Ah' Always Found Tuh Be Chupid An Counter Productive, As It Seeks To Section Off Groups And Make PPl Feel They Have To Live Ah' Certain Lifestyle..

It Have Men Living The Life They Want, Family, Dog Etc. Living In Big Cities...Some People Are Happy With Life In Ah' Big City, And Choose To Raise Ah' Family There, Wouldn't Trade It For Tha Werld...Whereas Some People Feel Such An Atmosphere Exposes Dem Chirren Tuh Elements They Want To Steer They Would Rather They Didn't Have To Be Exposed Too.

On The Other Side Of The Coin, Alot Of People Feel Suburbs Take The Sense Of "Realess" Out And Instill Ah' False Sense Of Entitlement In Their Children, Some People Afraid Dey Go Suburbs And Be Stranded In The Middle Of Nowhere, Cyah Pay They Loan And Geh Dey House Take Away..

So Ah' Mean, It's Not Liek It Have Ah' Special "American Dream"..Yuh Wouldn't Say So?

Credits
    whats the other alternative.. running up 4 flights of stairs cos you live in the PJs? i'm curious..

people want to live on their own with their nuclear family, a nice yard, a pet for their kids, kids, etc.. a lot of people live that dream, in the us and the world over..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

CocoErotika
    it's a lifestyle preference. somebody raising families in luxury multi million dollar penthouse apartments overlooking Central Park.

Credits
    exactly.. some people want to be away from it all, others want to be in the middle of it all.. same way some people love NYC and others talk bad about NYC every and any chance dem get.. same thing..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    I agree with Kakez. It is a false image.

Many people feel that they should own a home and have a car in their name. They don't realize that it's only a liability. What you think caused the mortgage meltdown in this country? Many thought that everybody should own a home because it's perceived to be the American Dream.

I feel that living within your means in an dense area is a more viable choice. Why own a car when you can use a transit system? Why pay mortage when you can pay rent that is cheaper when in fact, you may not even finish paying for your mortgage in the near future?

Surbubia is overrated. Maybe I'm being bias because I have lived it all my life, and I want to live the urban way, but I feel the suburbs is just a waste of land.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post
    What do you guys think of suburbia being the model for the American Dream? Do you think it represents the ideal American Dream? You know. The 2 story house with the big back yard. A nice car. And two kids.

You think that's overrated?
    Hey Man that's the White Working Class Suckers Dream...........

.......MudderfuKKKer came up with that idea when your peeps had No Rights in the Workplace and had to git outta town by Sundown

Credits

Many people feel that they should own a home and have a car in their name. They don't realize that it's only a liability. What you think caused the mortgage meltdown in this country? Many thought that everybody should own a home because it's perceived to be the American Dream.

I feel that living within your means in an dense area is a more viable choice. Why own a car when you can use a transit system? Why pay mortage when you can pay rent that is cheaper when in fact, you may not even finish paying for your mortgage in the near future?

Surbubia is overrated. Maybe I'm being bias because I have lived it all my life, and I want to live the urban way, but I feel the suburbs is just a waste of land.
    thats not purely an american dream.. in other countries many people live in the suburbs.... nobody wnats to live in an apartment.. everybody wants to get their own home and live independently of their parents with the person theyw ill start a family with..

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

LB
    Credits
    being in America does mess up some of yalls head when it comes to thinking only America is set one way.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    It's my dream so it's not overrated in my mind.

It's about ownership, legacy and memories.

Credits

I agree with u except for the renting part...
    suburbs or urban, I will always chose to be close to a viable and reliable transit system... and I rather live in an area where I have a grocery store or whatever in walking distance...

But if u can afford it, I say own instead of rent always
    Last edited by Hello BKLYN; 12-06-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello BKLYN View Post
    I agree with u except for the renting
    he's comparing apples to oranges. Living within your means isnt the difference between renting or owning. When you rent you are paying someone else's mortgage and helping them build up their asset portfolio. Not clever. neither is taking on a mortgage you cannot afford. Simply have a mortgage that you can manage and save up for a downpayment properly.

Just because ppl are dumb enough to bite off more than they can choose mortgage or rent wise is no concern for me. Your dumb when u live beyond your means in the suburbs or in an urban environment. And if you understand certain financial principles, your home can be used as an asset to build wealth but most ppl dont investigate these things.

and who cares if ppl dont want to live in suburbia. Like Coco said, you can raise your family in a million dollar penthouse on Central Park if that is what you want.

ppl dont use thier heads when it comes to managing money and then wonder why their "dreams" are fukked up...whatever the hell their dream is.

Down di road, ova di gully, pass di big tree
    Credits
    The ideal "Amercian Dream" is what YOU make of it. For some it's living in that penthouse on the upper east side; on a farm hours away from a major town; on a quiet treelined culdesac with their 2.5 kids and white picket fence. You can't knock a person for what they want. Especially if you've never experienced it yourself
    Disclaimer:
    Many of you can't keep Jamaica outa yuh mouth. Its ok, we understand you can't help it. Envy is a helluva thing. But let it be known. If you've never been to mi yawd your comments about mi yawd shall hereby be stricken as nuttin but verbal defecation. Walk good.

Yes I am a superhero. Sarcasm is my superpower.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagga_Dagga View Post
    The ideal "Amercian Dream" is what YOU make of it. For some it's living in that penthouse on the upper east side; on a farm hours away from a major town; on a quiet treelined culdesac with their 2.5 kids and white picket fence. You can't knock a person for what they want. Especially if you've never experienced it yourself
    dere you go

CocoErotika
    but you can BUY an apartment too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast