Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rebelle01
  • 1 Post By Juan Dan

Thread: Study Links Hair Relaxers To Fibroid Tumors and Early Puberty In African American Fem

Credits

Study Links Hair Relaxers To Fibroid Tumors and Early Puberty In African American Fem

Study Links Hair Relaxers To Fibroid Tumors and Early Puberty In African American Females

A new study in the American Journal of Epidemiology has linked hair relaxers to uterine fibroids, as well as early puberty in young girls.

Scientists followed more than 23,000 pre-menopausal Black American women from 1997 to 2009 and found that the two- to three-times higher rate of fibroids among black women may be linked to chemical exposure through scalp lesions and burns resulting from relaxers.

Women who got their first menstrual period before the age of 10 were also more likely to have uterine fibroids, and early menstruation may result from hair products black girls are using, according to a separate study published in the Annals of Epidemiology last summer.

Three hundred African American, African Caribbean, Hispanic, and White women in New York City were studied. The women’s first menstrual period varied anywhere from age 8 to age 19, but African Americans, who were more likely to use straightening and relaxers hair oils, also reached menarche earlier than other racial/ethnic groups.

While so far, there is only an association rather than a cause and effect relationship between relaxers, fibroid tumors, and puberty, many experts have been quick to point out that the hair care industry isn’t regulated by the FDA, meaning that there’s no definite way to fully know just how harmful standard Black hair care products really are.

Fibroid Facts

Fibroids are tumors that grow in the uterus. They are benign, which means they are not cancerous, and are made up of muscle fibers. Fibroids can be as small as a pea and can grow as large as a melon. It is estimated that 20-50% of women have, or will have, fibroids at some time in

Credits
    what about diet though?

Credits
    Interesting. Before it was diet now it's hair relaxers.
    ~~When your character is built on spiritual and moral foundations, your contagious way of life will influence millions.~~

Real Eyes
    Realize
    Real Lies

Credits
    . It could be that it is a contributing fator along with diet. One would have to read the source article for methods etc. It is from a credible peer- reviewed journal. I'm sue they deal with diet

Credits
    Abstract
    Hair relaxers are used by millions of black women, possibly exposing them to various chemicals through scalp lesions and burns. In the Black Women’s Health Study, the authors assessed hair relaxer use in relation to uterine leiomyomata incidence. In 1997, participants reported on hair relaxer use (age at first use, frequency, duration, number of burns, and type of formulation). From 1997 to 2009, 23,580 premenopausal women were followed for incident uterine leiomyomata. Multivariable Cox regression was used to estimate incidence rate ratios and 95% confidence intervals. During 199,991 person-years, 7,146 cases of uterine leiomyomata were reported as confirmed by ultrasound (n = 4,630) or surgery (n = 2,516). The incidence rate ratio comparing ever with never use of relaxers was 1.17 (95% confidence interval (CI): 1.06, 1.30). Positive trends were observed for frequency of use (Ptrend < 0.001), duration of use (Ptrend = 0.015), and number of burns (Ptrend < 0.001). Among long-term users (≥10 years), the incidence rate ratios for frequency of use categories 3–4, 5–6, and ≥7 versus 1–2 times/year were 1.04 (95% CI: 0.92, 1.19), 1.12 (95% CI: 0.99, 1.27), and 1.15 (95% CI: 1.01, 1.31), respectively (Ptrend = 0.002). Risk was unrelated to age at first use or type of formulation. These findings raise the hypothesis that hair relaxer use increases uterine leiomyomata risk.

Credits
    i know iz just a link and not hard evidence... but i am spreading this news
    But big up Natural women...
    the natural movement is wassup
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    To make this study real real important, they do need to address diet and they need to study women who live in indigenous habitats such as the Caribbean and also those who reside in the various African countries. Sorry I like my relaxer I not buying that one at all. My aunt has fibroids and been natural all she live long days.

Credits
    good.. i safe then... and it make sense, everybody i know who had fibroids has relaxed hair...
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Who gets fibroids?

There are factors that can increase a woman's risk of developing fibroids.

Age. Fibroids become more common as women age, especially during the 30s and 40s through menopause. After menopause, fibroids usually shrink.

Family history. Having a family member with fibroids increases your risk. If a woman's mother had fibroids, her risk of having them is about three times higher than average.

Ethnic origin. African-American women are more likely to develop fibroids than white women.

Obesity. Women who are overweight are at higher risk for fibroids. For very heavy women, the risk is two to three times greater than average.

Eating habits. Eating a lot of red meat (e.g., beef) and ham is linked with a higher risk of fibroids. Eating plenty of green vegetables seems to protect women from developing fibroids.

Find more info here
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Hair relaxers aren't good. FACT. How can anything that burns your skull and hair into oblivion be good for you. You ever watch "good hair" see how the chemicals that in the relaxer burnt the whole through the chicken. And people put that in their hair. Not only that they put it on Children's hair. Now me nah tell naygah not to use them cause same way cigerrette give cancer naygah till ah smoke no wah. lol. A word of wisdom is sufficient to the wise.

Credits
    And I'm sorry to say african american women are different to women from the caribbean and women from the continent itself. Health practices are different eating habits are different, lifestyle different. nuff times they do these studies they just lump everything into one pot and try boil it.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    Who gets fibroids?

There are factors that can increase a woman's risk of developing fibroids.

Age. Fibroids become more common as women age, especially during the 30s and 40s through menopause. After menopause, fibroids usually shrink.

Family history. Having a family member with fibroids increases your risk. If a woman's mother had fibroids, her risk of having them is about three times higher than average.

Ethnic origin. African-American women are more likely to develop fibroids than white women.

Obesity. Women who are overweight are at higher risk for fibroids. For very heavy women, the risk is two to three times greater than average.

Eating habits. Eating a lot of red meat (e.g., beef) and ham is linked with a higher risk of fibroids. Eating plenty of green vegetables seems to protect women from developing fibroids.

Find more info here
    Hmmm ah wonder why African American women are more likely to develop them. Cause my mother had fibroids. End up having to take out her womb and ting. Plus I know couple other persons parents whose mothers had it. But a lot of them weren't obese.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadadlineko View Post
    Hmmm ah wonder why African American women are more likely to develop them. Cause my mother had fibroids. End up having to take out her womb and ting. Plus I know couple other persons parents whose mothers had it. But a lot of them weren't obese.
    Your mom could have developed fibroid as a result of one of the other reasons I listed.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    With all these pesticides, preservatives, hormones and genetically modified foods god alone knows what the women are ingesting.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadadlineko View Post
    wow
    big up your mother
    excellent thread
    Wadadlineko likes this.
    3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.