Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Harvey's Book

Taj
    Credits

Wink Steve Harvey's Book

Act like a Lady: Think like a Man

#3 on BnN best seller list

“There is no truer statement: men are simple. Get this into your head first, and everything you learn about us in this book will begin to fall into place. Once you get that down, you’ll have to understand a few essential truths: men are driven by who they are, what they do, and how much they make.”

“Your man knows what you want: the ultimate commitment- The Ring. He knows, too, what he needs: you. But your proposal never comes and the way your man is acting, it’s not coming anytime soon. And so, you wait. And Wait. And wait some more. Men are happy being single or unmarried because it makes us feel young and carefree. Marriage does not. Responsibility and marriage do not fit into that feeling, until all of the playing gets tired and we realize we have to be grown-ups, or something-or someone-makes us grow up.”

“To sum up, we’ve got to have these three things- support, loyalty, and sex- from you or we’re going to go.”

“Men show their love with the three P’s. If we love you we will Protect, Profess and Provide for you.”

Amazon Online Reader : Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment

“A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    i got i got it! i wanted to get him to sign the book but i forgot the day he was gonna be in bk. Its reaaallly good. Now i understand the male species alot more. When i finish reading it i will post some questions and excerpts from the book to see if imix men feel the way steve say men does feel.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Ms. Classy Lady~ View Post
    i got i got it! i wanted to get him to sign the book but i forgot the day he was gonna be in bk. Its reaaallly good. Now i understand the male species alot more. When i finish reading it i will post some questions and excerpts from the book to see if imix men feel the way steve say men does feel.
    I now coming to say that he'll probably chain up foolish black people into buying it...

No.. now you understand Steve Harvey a lot more. The man is a comedian people... why allyuh buying his book on advice like he qualified to give it? What's sad is that some people will actually believe that nonsense and take it as gospel as though that's how men really are.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark View Post
    I now coming to say that he'll probably chain up foolish black people into buying it...

No.. now you understand Steve Harvey a lot more. The man is a comedian people... why allyuh buying his book on advice like he qualified to give it? What's sad is that some people will actually believe that nonsense and take it as gospel as though that's how men really are.
    thats your opinion. I happen to listen to him every morning and the advice he gives is usually on point. He says he's not an expert on relationships but he is an expert on being a man and knowing how men are.

Taj
    Credits

how different is it from giving a male friend a scenario and asking his opinion?
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Ms. Classy Lady~ View Post
    thats your opinion. I happen to listen to him every morning and the advice he gives is usually on point. He says he's not an expert on relationships but he is an expert on being a man and knowing how men are.
    Okay friend... Steve Harvey is your guru, Steve Harvey is an expert on the West Indian men yuh'll be dealing with in Brooklyn

I used to listen to him regularly... just like I used to listen to Russ Parr regularly... occasionally i still catch his program. I'm telling you as a man that I don't agree with half the shit him and his cohorts talk about... and it's not generational. The impression I get is that Stever Harvey doesn't base his 'findings' on professional men.. but rather the fellas who does hang out at the barber shop, some of whom have some real backwards ideas about women.

But what I know... me ent no expert on knowing who men are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    how different is it from giving a male friend a scenario and asking his opinion?
    Does your male friend offer his position as being representative of how men think in general? I didn't read his book, but from the snippets it seems to me that Steve Harvey is basically saying, "if you want to know how men think... read this book".

Good luck with that... don't let me dampen the enthusiasm.

Taj
    Credits

Does your male friend offer his position as being representative of how men think in general? I didn't read his book, but from the snippets it seems to me that Steve Harvey is basically saying, "if you want to know how men think... read this book".

Good luck with that... don't let me dampen the enthusiasm.
    Dampen enthusiasm
    You ask your male friend cos you value his opinion or expect he will be able to provide a different perspective. I don't see what he doing as much different, at least thats how I will take his words.

It seems like another version of the "he's just not that into you" type books.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    Dampen enthusiasm

You don't sense enthusiasm in this thread? Besides, I'm sure when you posted the thread you weren't looking for 'argument'... which is why I'm backing off to let you and anyone else who might like books like these enjoy the discussion.

You ask your male friend cos you value his opinion or expect he will be able to provide a different perspective. I don't see what he doing as much different, at least thats how I will take his words.

It seems like another version of the "he's just not that into you" type books.

I agree... and I also see those books as nonsense, but what I know... it have movie made outta it and thing so obviously somebody lapping it up and making the authors rich

Credits
    I'm with Bakes on this one. I listen to Steve sometimes and I enjoy him a lot and even though he's a comedian I respect him as a commentator on various subjects as well. As far as the man/woman thing though, I feel he's coming from one school of thought, the same one you'd get from Micheal Baisden and others like him. That may or may not translate into anything useful for dealing w/ men outside of that demographic but if you're reading it for enjoyment and not as some bible then hey.

Credits
    So, what's the main idea here?

Take the time to learn the individual man, and make your judgements from there?

Also, Whats the difference with the Professional man, oppose to chinese men or american men.
    Girly boy why do you get such a kick out of dissing women? - Namey Namey

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

Everyone knows MÉCHANT LOUP is a jackass, but a pedophile? - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP a battyman. - Namey Namey

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    So, what's the main idea here?

Take the time to learn the individual man, and make your judgements from there?

Also, Whats the difference with the Professional man, oppose to chinese men or american men.
    I don't think its even about professional men so much...Steve and Mike are coming from the angle of the over 40, countryish, african american male whether professional or blue collar...its a specific type.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    I don't think its even about professional men so much...Steve and Mike are coming from the angle of the over 40, countryish, african american male whether professional or blue collar...its a specific type.
    I agree with you with everything except the professional men part. How many doctors, lawyers and engineers you think are in dem fellas circle? I concede that I don't know... but the sense I get is that their's is a decidely blue collar perspective, and like you said, a "countryish", african american male perspective.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    Yeh, I listen to those programs too...I dont think they address 40 yr old men.

Country'ish men yeh, I would agree to that. But america is mostly country...nascar, hunting, so they do address a wide segment.

So, thats why agree with Bakes in saying are they gonna help you better understand a west indian man in brooklyn, probably not.

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post

to answer this... kinda hard to make that comparison, since there are chinese and american professional men as well. My point was that unless one is exposed to a wide enough population then one cannot presume to know that population. Even 'knowing' them, one still can't speak for them. I don't think he actually means to speak for all men, but that's how the book is being presented to folks.

Even if he came out and said "now y'all know this don't apply to all brothers, this is just MY perspective"... what makes his perspective that more valuable that people should buy his book? But see they wouldn't market it that way because less people would buy it... so they make him seem more authoritative.

Credits
    to answer this... kinda hard to make that comparison, since there are chinese and american professional men as well. My point was that unless one is exposed to a wide enough population then one cannot presume to know that population. Even 'knowing' them, one still can't speak for them. I don't think he actually means to speak for all men, but that's how the book is being presented to folks.

Even if he came out and said "now y'all know this don't apply to all brothers, this is just MY perspective"... what makes his perspective that more valuable that people should buy his book? But see they wouldn't market it that way because less people would buy it... so they make him seem more authoritative.
    I agree...

Especially, with ur Main Point. That's an issue I have with a certain imixer, they swear that Men are all the same...though they have only been expose to men from their home country.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast