are stereotypes wrong??

Are they?

Credits
    they are convient
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits
    Not in my world.

Credits
    I believe part of the definition of the word is that its based on some grain of truth.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    I mean isn't it in our nature to judge based on sampling? As long as you don't use your opinions to oppress others I don't see the issue

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sankofaa View Post
    I mean isn't it in our nature to judge based on sampling? As long as you don't use your opinions to oppress others I don't see the issue
    The issue is that they never really leave you and unconsciously influence how you view and treat ppl. Certain stereotypes I grew up with and I thought once I grew I knew better and was more enlightened than my elders I got them from..but realize recently that I'm still influenced by them. All it takes is for me to see, or think i see hint of a certain behavior from a person and it all comes back.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    yes

Credits
    yes and no..

it's wrong, in a sense, to assume that all people of a particular group fit the same description of a portion of that group. when there are always exceptions to the rule

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    The issue is that they never really leave you and unconsciously influence how you view and treat ppl. Certain stereotypes I grew up with and I thought once I grew I knew better and was more enlightened than my elders I got them from..but realize recently that I'm still influenced by them. All it takes is for me to see, or think i see hint of a certain behavior from a person and it all comes back.
    but if you've been taught something, isn't it the responsibility of the person your coming into contact with not to perpetuate the preconceived notion you have about them which will change the way you treat them individually?

Credits
    hmm so what about the stereotype that panamanian women love ah gold front tooth.. how will they not perpetuate that notion? how many of them actually know that stereotype about themselves.. some still see it as.. err.. sexy i guess.. but to other cultures a woman with a gold tooth is not sexy at all..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    hmm so what about the stereotype that panamanian women love ah gold front tooth.. how will they not perpetuate that notion? how many of them actually know that stereotype about themselves.. some still see it as.. err.. sexy i guess.. but to other cultures a woman with a gold tooth is not sexy at all..
    alot of the older women do like gold teeth, mainly the ones from colon who are bajan descendents. If you dont like it thats fine, their men do im guessing, so no one is affected...

Credits
    i doh have to like it.. dem is woman.. lol... but you were saying that is their responsibility to not perpetuate it but how? different thing are associated with gold teeth, - person being low class and all the various ills associated with that..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    if they have gold teeth, then you were right with your assumption, period. Societies view of people (white black panamanian or other) with golds is a separate stereotype.

I can assume a dude with thick dreads and a mouth full of golds will not speak proper english down here, but have met a few people who had the look and were very articulate, so my individual expectation of them is different than the rest.

Juan Dan
    alrite this not a bad tred needer

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sankofaa View Post
    but if you've been taught something, isn't it the responsibility of the person your coming into contact with not to perpetuate the preconceived notion you have about them which will change the way you treat them individually?
    No, not really. The person should be able to just be them and judged as an individual. Most ppl don't fit into neat boxes...cause you see them react one way to x situation doesn't mean you can assume they will react this way to y situation. when you already think you know the person based on stereotype, they don't stand much of a chance unless they consciously make it a point to be the opposite. Example is like when my son went thru his baggy pants stage I told him that ppl would judge him a certain way for looking like a stereotype..when he pointed out that his white friends dressed the same way I told him that's them, they could afford to dress like that because ppl would not make the same assumptions re blond haired "mike" that they would about him. If a person already has in their mind that a young, black, teenage male is most likely a baggy clothes wearing thug..that black male has to make it a point to appear the exact opposite in order not to be stereotyped and thought of as "the exception"...why should they have to tho? Why can't they wear what they want to wear, or do what they want to do w/out worrying that every lil thing about them will be used to put them in a box?

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast