Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of Economy in Guyana!

Credits

State of Economy in Guyana!

What is the current state of the economy there and what/who takes credit for it?Discuss!

Credits
    BLB
    what really happening?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadJockey
    BLB
    what really happening?
    I want to find out a lil info on how things really are in those countries at present because I see a lot of people here from those places...and i get conflicting info as to how economy is in such places....got me
    And the answer to you other question ...I use 3 post cause i figure i will get a lot different info..

Credits
    k

Credits

Lightbulb well...................!

The facts about Guyana's economy are:
    1-Guyana is has natural resources like bauxite, gold, timber and precious stones.....but NO major investments to make any of their natural resources internationally competitive!
    2-PM jagdeo has not secured ANY major investor who want anything to do with Guyana!
    3-Guyana has suffered from mismanagement since independence!
    4-I remember hearing that beef in Guyana was $58-a pound!
    5-The country also lacks unity and even basic respect of fellow citizens...........an ethnic war is very possible!
    anyhow it's late and the blame is too much to mention!

ps. bringing Guyana into a caribbean single market economy will do damage to stronger caribbean economies and is dangerous!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bds4
    1-Guyana is has natural resources like bauxite, gold, timber and precious stones.....but NO major investments to make any of their natural resources internationally competitive!
    2-PM jagdeo has not secured ANY major investor who want anything to do with Guyana!
    5-The country also lacks unity and even basic respect of fellow citizens...........an ethnic war is very possible!

ps. bringing Guyana into a caribbean single market economy will do damage to stronger caribbean economies and is dangerous!
    Which currency we speaking about here and what has detered investors?

Credits
    Actually we do have OMAI aka Golden Star Resources that have been in Guyana for over 10 years stealing our gild and diamond. I read recently in the news papers that a chinese company will be investing in our bauxite companies in Linden to revitalize that economy soon. Timber has always been controled by the local companies who export that all the time.
    see above...True jagdeo did not, but past presidents did..
    Actually NO, we were on the right track but not all Guyanese shared the same feeling towards the movement that was being built, so of course the fighting started, then it was to each their own. If one remembers we were once the gem of the caribbean where our money and university was TOPS...

i dunno bout that...but we do have a very strong meat industry, we export that too, but its mostly private herders that do this

I don;t see any ethnic war in out future we had one of those in 1963. People today are tired of it, Guyana is more united than people thing, its just that we have different cultures that conflict at times..politically we have indian and blacks on both sides who hate and love the government. That will always be there...this tension was created by oild parties that will be thrownout come this election.. i hope so...new parties new things...towards a united front.

WOW...so i bet this means we have nothing to offer these so called strong economies? what rass...what do these so called strong economies bring to the table other than tourism and TNT oil?

carry on...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBloopers
    carry on...
    well said

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBloopers
    carry on...

DOnt be so harsh pon de man...I dont agree wid every thing he said but some of it is true....and I am being objective here...
    Guyana has suffered tremendouly from mismangement in the past.....although the present governmnet is making strides...it is a situation where there is so much to do..... but with persistent the economy can begin to grow....but of course not overnight.

guyana has many natural resources but they need to have more investment....and with the image of having an unstable government...investors have been shying away in the past...therefore Guyana now need to continue to strive at improving their institutions of governance.

As for the race issues well I aint know....I just hope everything keeps getting better cause in the end it will help no one.

Bds4 I have to disagree with you with regards to the CSME......why do peopel assume that movement of peopel has to be only negative....people move to full fill a need....there are alot of GT in Bim working because there is work...of course each territory needs to put thngs in place to protect its own citizens as well as immigrants from exploitation but I dont think that it is something that should be feared.....plus CSME isnt only about jobs it alot more than that.........
    We going from Sun til Sun.......

Credits

Isn't the whole idea of a single market economy to help uplift some and bring them all together as a whole? i.e. NAFTA
    ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!

Credits
    lemme take a wild guess.....u are not an economist and have never studied economics. A global economy needs export crops, and u already identified Guyana's natural resources (bauxite, gold, etc.).

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Xtremist
    lemme take a wild guess.....u are not an economist and have never studied economics. A global economy needs export crops, and u already identified Guyana's natural resources (bauxite, gold, etc.).

did you get my new number

Credits

Not only that but Guyana has an abundance of fresh fruits vegetables that many of the other islands signed on to CSME don't have. I live in St Lucia and one thing I miss Guyana for is fresh caribbean fruits and vegetables...and I would know I am vegetarian...my choices are very limited.

Credits

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by joujou
    Isn't the whole idea of a single market economy to help uplift some and bring them all together as a whole? i.e. NAFTA
    NAFTA has made Canada pay MORE tariffs on lumber and lumber products! Canada has gotten nothing but branch plant business such as GM, wal-mart, ford, mc donalds, gap etc. ! Mexico has nothing to show but maquiladoras, sex tourist and a dying agricultural base! Now the US is also suffering due to cheap mexican illegal labour showing up all over the country, outsourcing jobs in mexico ( and MANY other countries!) and mismanagement.
    The Caribbean Single Market Economy will only benefit the countries who have an understanding of free market economics and geopolitics! Just wait and watch countries like Guyana and Haiti which are poor, unstable and have little or nothing to offer countries like Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Jamaica, Belize et al.
    WILL get screwed over by policy.

Credits

Take any amount of guesses you would like! Crops have become useless in trade when the US of A has access to your marketplace!
    Due to governmental subsidies and tax breaks US crop growers which includes farming families and corporations can sell any crop( bananas being the exception because the US does not grow them) at a dangerously competitive rates even with a favorable exchange rate to a foreign buyer. Case and point, In Jamaica local farmers are being outsold but foreign imports which are import for less than the local crops and pumped full of fertilizer so they even look larger and more appealling to a customer. Now the agricultural industry is being killed off because economic treaties agreed upon in order to secure IMF funds! Remember that in trade in order to balance things one party must lose a little and another party must lose a lot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast