Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star's Joke on Aaliyah

Credits

Star's Joke on Aaliyah

This is exactly why I don't listen to or advocat staions like HOT 97. This is just sad, and has messed up my day.

GodDeejay to Apologize
    For Crash Joke

By DAVID HINCKLEY
    Daily News Staff Writer

The foul-mouthed radio host known as Star on station WQHT (Hot-97) planned to apologize on air today for mocking singer Aaliyah's death with a sound-effects tape that blared a woman's blood-curdling screams silenced by a loud crash.

"It was in poor taste," said Star, whose real name is Troi Torain, after a meeting with Hot-97 management. "Sometimes you do things without calculating the repercussions. We're talking about a life here. It was a very tragic thing."

When Star played the tape around 8:40 a.m., one of his co-hosts, Tarsha Jones, aka Miss Jones, stormed out. "How can you play that?" she said. "I'm outta here."

After the next record, Star told listeners, "Miss Jones has left the building. She was appalled and disgusted by this."

Then he played it again.

The bit triggered "some pretty intense calls" to the station, said Star, whose regular co-host, Timothy Joseph, aka Buc Wild, is on vacation. "But I didn't do it out of malice. I was just trying to get a laugh, and it turned out wrong."

Yesterday's episode echoed incidents involving Howard Stern, Star's favorite radio host.

Stern played crash sound effects after John Denver died when the experimental plane he was flying went down in 1997, and he sparked an uproar when he played gunshot effects while discussing the death of Tejano singer Selena. Stern ended up reading an apology on the air, in Spanish.

"This is the same kind of thing," said Star. "I'll apologize, and it will be sincere, and then I hope we can move on."

Original Publication Date: 8/28/01

Bless!

Credits

RE: Star's Joke on Aaliyah

i heard about this yesterday, and i planned to email the station manager or someone at hot 97 today...his a*s should get fired, what kind of insensitive behavior is that?! he was "trying to get a laugh", about what?!! people died!! i don't see anything funny about that. what if the victims' family members or friends were listening to the radio station? how does he think they felt?! i'm telling you some people have no right doing the jobs they're doing. i don't live in ny, but i hear this star character is a "hater", and makes cracks about people all the time...he over-did it this time.

montREALady :-)
    "2gether we aspire, 2gether we achieve"

trinitat

star and bucwild are the reason i stopped listening to hot 97in the mornings - they are disgusting x( between all their hating and their love for white women (apparently they feel that white women are better, not trying to start no arguments but that's some bs), they carry things too far, even ms jones walked out of the studio! star's actions yesterday show that he has absolutely no class and no emotions - barely a day after she passes, he's making jokes?! apparently, he was forced by the management of hot 97 to make an on-air apology because damon dash (roc-a-fella ceo and aaliyah's man) was insulted and called the station himself to complain. hot 97 needs to realize that ratings are one thing but disrespecting your listeners is another!

Credits

It is because of people like this Star character that I have stopped listening to Hot 97. I think the people on this station have no class or tact about them. I have not listened to this station in about three years. Anyone that gets into my car or comes to my house knows better than to tune in to 97.1. The radio station will feel the backlash from this incident- GUARANTEED!

Credits

This is why I listen to wlib,I really think star has gone too far.
    American By Birth, Guyanese By Blood!!

BlackCristal

I think this is the most digusting thing I've ever heard. Star & Buck Wild need the Lord. I feel so sorry for Damon Dash, Aaliyahs mother, father and her brother.
    Those idiots need to be firedx(
    Rumor is that Jay Z is planning to boycott Hot 97 if they dont fire Star and Buck Wild.
    Good Ideal!!!!!

Credits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-01 AT 05:49 PM (EST)[/font][p]well boy we on the same page because I stopped listening to them cause they were to raunchy and tasteless to be on the air...I'm surprised the FCC hasn't threatened Hot 97. But if anyone listened to Hot 97 yesterday afernoon, Q Tip wrote a piece about the tasteless satyr made by Star and he said that the staion has lost one listener being himself and apparently Aaliyah listened to them all the time...he was saying that Star should be ashamed of himself as well as the station in itself. When he was finished reading the piece he wrote he started to cry. Today's papers said that Buckwild was on vacation so I guess he got spared on this one and Star is all by himself. But I think that someone should teach him a lesson and put a good cut ass on he and then buss he mouth bet he anit gon say no s*** like that again....but seriously he should be fired and for all of the islandmix fam that does listen to that show or station for that matter yall should boycott...maybe then the station will take things more seriously because more than likely he'll just get a slap on the wrist and then he'll be back on the air doing the same thing to someone else x(

SEXY G.T. QUEEN

Credits

yuh see dats why i dont listen to them in the morning anymore...now i strictly tune in to WLIB 1190...I would rather hear David Levy talk (and allyuh know he can talk) over hearing Star and them disrespect people and mock sad situations. They truly need to come off the air.

Peace and Love
    socababy

Credits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-01 AT 08:03 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-01 AT 07:58 PM (EST)[/font]

DEY SHOULD FYAH HE SK#NT, WHAT AH PROPAH #SS.

DE TINGS SOME PEOPLE DO TO TRY TO BE A COMEDIAN.

WHAT AH DAMN DISGRACE. AH WANDER WHO HE WOULD FEEL IF ,LAWD FORBID, IT WAS HIS SISTER OR MOTHER IN THAT PLANE CRASH.

STAR IS AH STUPID INSENSITIVE IDIOT!

Credits

obviously these star and buc characaters has to class , it so sad to see ppl making fun and cracking jokes on such a sad situation......good ting i dont lisiten to that radio station give meh wlib or wbls anytime.

Credits

if ya'll feel so strongly, i found an online petition that people have been signing to get him fired:

http://www.petitiononline.com/starr/petition.html

as of now, there are 4994 signatures! i signed it yesterday, but i think mine was 864!!

Credits

I just responded, I'm 5459, i hope her family didn't get word of this (but i'm sure they did), because I've read her parents are not doing well at all.

God Bless!
    R.I.P. Aaliyah

Credits

also, from her website:

Please send flowers and floral arrangements to:

The Trump International Hotel
    1 Central Park West
    New York, NY 10023
    Attn.: Diane Haughton

Please send letters and cards to:

Aaliyah Memorial
    101 West 23rd Street
    Suite 2342
    New York, NY 10011

Credits

That is such a shame, and also a shame that such a vibrant young girl had to have her life taken in such a tragedy. As for these SHOCK-jock jerks they will be responsible for their own fate when they have to answer the man upstairs. I think all this disrespectful sh_t started with that ugly dam Jew jack@ss Howard Stern and now everybody and their mamma wants ratings like that excuse of a human panty-waste.

-RIP ALLIYAH-
    seen.

BajanFete

Blacklash? I doubt it. I think their ratings were probably the highest yesterday and don't think any backlash will happen and if Star isn't fired from this then he basically holds the station in his hands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast